Ride, Push, Shuttle????

April 26, 2004, 9:04 p.m.

Originally posted by lancepaydirt
hahaha. prolly just taking a smoke break to get pumped up.

that made me laugh. thanx james.

:D

April 26, 2004, 9:27 p.m.

Originally posted by Lady Gravity
all three have merit. i ride when i can, push when i dont feel like riding anymore, and shuttle the odd occasion. i see no reason in getting a light xc bike just to ride up;

I agree. I must say, though, it sure feels good to have been able to ride all the way to 7th for the first time in a long time (and for the first time since I removed my granny). I still wasn't any faster than pushing, though:???: But then Whistler is a whole other story…. can't wait.

April 26, 2004, 10:31 p.m.

I shuttle pretty much all of the time.
No way in hell am I riding my bike up. It's not that heavy, but it's small and my knees get killed even when I'm standing.

I haven't ridden XC since last summer but I'm going to start again because father winter fed me a lot of beer. On a XC bike!
Screw riding up on a big bike though, I'll give you a honk as I drive past you on the way up twice :)

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

April 26, 2004, 11:34 p.m.

I just really like riding my bike… Up, down, flats, whatever, I have as much respect for someone that can rip on a tight technical climb, as someone who can rip down a rock/root strewn, jump infested downhill.

Myself, i'll give every uphill all i've got, if i'm pushing up it it means i wasn't able to clear it.

Will climb up fromme a few times a week, and shuttle on the week ends usually, but there are some challenging uphill sections on many of the 'shuttelable' trails to still get the blood going :)

Now the ultimate ride is when you can clear all the uphill tech sections and have the juice to ride to your fullest on the way down! The best riders are the ones who hop on their bike at the beginning of the trail, and off ONLY at the end of it, IMO. That's true skill…

HUKK Bikes

Handmade in North Vancouver, BC

April 27, 2004, 12:36 a.m.

damn I guess I have no skill :(

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

April 27, 2004, 3:21 a.m.

What does it matter if you start pedaling up Fromme, then get off and push for a bit? You still have to move that mass up the mountain.

It isn't a race - it's a means to an end. Otherwise people would just ride up the fireroad then have a shuttle car waiting at the top to drive them back down.

Fromme fire road isn't even that steep. Going Old Buck to BP to Cabin Trail in order to get to Ned's is harsh climb. And when you get there, riding an XC bike down Ned's isn't exactly the funnest way to ride the trail, so having to climb on a big rig is even worse.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 27, 2004, 6:29 a.m.

Hmmm, my personal philosophy about fitness goes along with what I said earlier about the human machine. Our physical abilities are a gift, and I think it is a sin to abuse our bodies and not utilize the gift we have been given. If you have to push instead of climbing it's really not so bad because you're out there doing some physical activity. But to have the ability to climb and not do it because "it's hard" is just a personal defeat.

I honestly don't think there are any valid excuses for long term inactivity. We all have times in out lives where regular vigorous physical activity may not be possible, but we can always do a little bit of something to keep our bodies running well.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 27, 2004, 7:24 a.m.

one advantage of regurlarly riding up is that you will be that much more in shape for the downhills… you can just ride that much longer/faster without having to stop and take a rest :)

April 27, 2004, 7:41 a.m.

Originally posted by statix
one advantage of regurlarly riding up is that you will be that much more in shape for the downhills… you can just ride that much longer/faster without having to stop and take a rest :)

……..or a smoke break right Zed?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 27, 2004, 8:01 a.m.

Lets be honest splinky of course you would beat zed up to the top but by the time you put your gear on. Zed would be sitting in the black bear chilling with a pint. It has nothing to do with how fast Zedbra is going downhill and everything to do with how fast it takes you to get your shit on.

April 27, 2004, 8:25 a.m.

lol - i'll still win, i can get ready fast if i have to. you should come out jarrett, there will be plenty of beer to go around after

Ellen Langer

April 27, 2004, 8:26 a.m.

Come out when?

April 27, 2004, 8:38 a.m.

Whenever Zed wants to race. Up and down, each minute time difference equals 1 pint at the pub after, loser buys. I don't drink a lot of beer, so I figure with the 15-20 or so pints Zed will be buying I'll have a few to pass around.

Ellen Langer

April 27, 2004, 10:47 a.m.

Originally posted by synchro
If you have to push instead of climbing it's really not so bad because you're out there doing some physical activity. But to have the ability to climb and not do it because "it's hard" is just a personal defeat.

No doubt, some people just can't handle a little suffering even though it pays off in the short run and the long run.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 27, 2004, 11:43 a.m.

Originally posted by Zedbra
Deal. Then we will race down UOC and Air Supply. You gotta hit every jump. Loser buys a flat of beer.

I'd love to see you hit all the Air Supply gaps.