Facebook App for tracking rides

June 23, 2010, 5:46 p.m.

hm, would be pretty cool if you could make an app to organize rides to let other people know of any group rides people maybe interested in joining.

June 23, 2010, 9:55 p.m.

there is….organize your friends into groups….then send a message to your "bike friends" group that says something like: Hey bitches! Lets ride bikes.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

June 24, 2010, 12:51 a.m.

cool, i added it. my only suggestion would be to add a category for dj'ing or park.

June 24, 2010, 1:21 p.m.

I fixed that error on the stats page, it only happened if you hadn't added any rides yet.

I can add a ride type called "Dirt Jumping"?

There is also now a tab called "public" that has a feed of all the rides being added to the app by others. So if you see someone that is riding in the same places you are on the same days… you could always try sending them a facebook message. If you don't want your rides to show up on the public feed there is an option on the "settings" page to make your rides private.

I'll have to think about adding something to annouce group rides and how that could work…

Thanks for the feedback!

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

June 25, 2010, 1:41 p.m.

No way I'm using this. My boss gives me an evil enough stare whenever I leave early to go riding as it is…

June 25, 2010, 2:05 p.m.

my boss used to leave at noon to go play hockey. I got the dirt on him!

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

June 25, 2010, 5:01 p.m.

No way I'm using this. My boss gives me an evil enough stare whenever I leave early to go riding as it is…

well if you select the private option in the settings and don't check the option to post a message to your wall then all the ride data would only be visible to yourself ;)

June 25, 2010, 5:17 p.m.

Why do I have to allow it to access my personal information?

June 25, 2010, 5:51 p.m.

thats a standard facebook app permission, the minimal access. The app doens't do anything without your interaction, like post to your wall, this is standard facebook stuff. The Ride log doens't ask for advanced permissions like access to your email or photos like some apps do.. that might want to abuse these access rights.

The only things the Ride Log app accesses is your fbid, your name, and your city location. If your facebook permissions are set high the app doesn't have access to your location.

July 8, 2010, 5:08 p.m.

This looks awesome, can't wait to try it! Any chance you've submitted it to Apple to make it an iPhone app?

Okej, just joined, super-rad!!!

Sept. 5, 2010, 9:23 p.m.

I've added a new field when adding a ride called "GPS Link" where you can add a web link to the the location of a GPS recording of your ride from the service of your choice. For example I've been using the Android app called "Everytrail" which uploads the GPS track to the everytrail.com website and I link to that page. Example: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=778505

Rides that have a GPS link will have a red pushpin in their comments.

Sept. 6, 2010, 12:42 p.m.

I've been enjoying this application, I think I'm in the top 5 or so number of rides. One feature that could be cool is if one could link photos to their post, or link to a fb photo album.

Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device

Sept. 6, 2010, 1:02 p.m.

I've been enjoying this application, I think I'm in the top 5 or so number of rides. One feature that could be cool is if one could link photos to their post, or link to a fb photo album.

Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device

I've been thinking about doing this. I don't really want to host the photos, so i would integrate it into the facebook photos somehow. Maybe i'll investigate how to do that today.

Glad you like the applicaiton and find it usefull. Its now above 100 monthly active users according to Facebook.

Sept. 16, 2010, 8:49 p.m.

Better waste of time than farmville, I signed up. Thank god for no distinction between DH FR and AM. I like the dh or xc, either you went up then down, or you went up and down and all around.

Oct. 4, 2011, 12:10 a.m.

Just letting people know that were having problems that the Ride Log app now fully works with "Secure Facebook" HTTPS enabled. I also updated the app with the new Facebook API which required some minor changes. The app now also stretches to fill 100% of your screen width.

When adding a ride the form now also auto-suggests some riding area names and trail names when typing. The auto-suggest database is slowly growing.

More updates coming soon! http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=134636973217091