Linux desktop users?

April 13, 2004, 10:22 p.m.

Anyone else use linux as their desktop OS?

Just got gentoo installed again after a few month hiatus, and I'm a lot more knowledgable, and I'm liking it a whole lot more this time.

Gentoo linux using XFce4.
Clean shot
Much busier shot, just dragged some of the proggies from my other desktops onto the main one.

Who was it that was installing? Monty?

This space intentionally left blank.

April 13, 2004, 10:24 p.m.

this reminds me of object desktop xp or whatever,

April 13, 2004, 10:27 p.m.

Looks good Gandi.

I was using SUSE for about 8 months then stopped when I built my new machine. I couldn't get the dual raid0 arrays to work properly and needed to use Adobe Premeire so it kind of didn't work for me.

April 13, 2004, 10:31 p.m.

Originally posted by flowrider
**Looks good Gandi.

I was using SUSE for about 8 months then stopped when I built my new machine. I couldn't get the dual raid0 arrays to work properly and needed to use Adobe Premeire so it kind of didn't work for me. **

Yeah… there are a few things that are still lacking. Professional-level audio and video editing is one of them. There are open-source progs that can take care of these things well enough, but the pros need more. Same thing with gimp. It's damned good OSS, but if you grew up on photoshop, it's just too hard to relearn a new proggy, and there are subtle differences that force you to change your techniques slightly.

Thankfully, thats why wine was invented.

April 13, 2004, 11:31 p.m.

Too true about wine. I just wish that I was able to figure out how to use it properly. Although I fancy myself a geek I'm not nearly smart enough!;)

April 13, 2004, 11:44 p.m.

I have redhat running under fluxbox. I was so amazed by how much faster it was compared to crappy kde or gnome lol.

April 14, 2004, 12:23 a.m.

i use photoshop daily inside of gentoo…actually, all of the adobe CS suite is stable and fast…same with office 2003…

and fluxbox compared to kde/gnome is apples and oranges…fluxbox is a minimalistic window manager where kde/gnome are full blown desktop environments..

you want speed? ditch the crap that is redhat, compile yourself an optimized system, and install openbox…itll blow your mind :)

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

April 14, 2004, 1:21 a.m.

Originally posted by seand
**i use photoshop daily inside of gentoo…actually, all of the adobe CS suite is stable and fast…same with office 2003…

and fluxbox compared to kde/gnome is apples and oranges…fluxbox is a minimalistic window manager where kde/gnome are full blown desktop environments..

you want speed? ditch the crap that is redhat, compile yourself an optimized system, and install openbox…itll blow your mind :) **

I still think XFce4 is the perfect balance of eye-candy and performance. It's slower than *box by a LITTLE bit, but it's WAY faster than gnome or kde, and it can be set up QUITE nicely.

I was a hardcore fluxbox user last time I installed, and I installed it and began messing around a little this time around too, but I still come running back to XFce to get anything really done. To get what I have in XFce in anything else, I'd have to be running a handful of extra progs. Granted, I'm running them with xfce, but they're all integrated and easy to configure.

I'm with you all the way on an optimized system though ;).