Ipod to PC

Dec. 31, 2007, 10:45 a.m.

Hey do any of you guys know of a free program that you can transfer songs from your ipod to your computer?
All the ones I have found are just demos and you can only get on song off your ipod..
Hopefully you guys can help me out here
thanks

James

Dec. 31, 2007, 11:04 a.m.

Idump

just press "download now"

its really easy to use :)

Dec. 31, 2007, 11:05 a.m.

Plug your ipod in. Don't start itunes (well you can if you want, but itunes doesn't run especially well on PC).

Navigate to your ipod through "My Computer". It should be visible as a disc drive.

You now have to go to Folder Options and check the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" option.

You can now transfer all your songs and files to your computer.

Pretty stupid isn't it?

You'll notice that everything is named gibberish and in folders with no relationship to the songs. If you run iTunes and tell it to organize all your files and point it at the floder you just transferred, it will rename all your files and put them in the appropriate place.

If your tunes are from the iTunes store, they will have DRM on them, which is an ongoing hassle to remove. The easiest way is to load them into Quicktime and export them from there, but you'll lose some quality.

Happy hacking…..

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Dec. 31, 2007, 11:09 a.m.

Plug your ipod in. Don't start itunes (well you can if you want, but itunes doesn't run especially well on PC).

Navigate to your ipod through "My Computer". It should be visible as a disc drive.

You now have to go to Folder Options and check the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" option.

You can now transfer all your songs and files to your computer.

Pretty stupid isn't it?

You'll notice that everything is named gibberish and in folders with no relationship to the songs. If you run iTunes and tell it to organize all your files and point it at the floder you just transferred, it will rename all your files and put them in the appropriate place.

If your tunes are from the iTunes store, they will have DRM on them, which is an ongoing hassle to remove. The easiest way is to load them into Quicktime and export them from there, but you'll lose some quality.

Happy hacking…..

it will only rename your files on itunes… they will still be 4 letter combos in the file. this ends up to be a hassle… I have done it a few times but i dump is just much easier. and faster if you have a lot of tunes.

Dec. 31, 2007, 11:15 a.m.

Winamp + ml_ipod.

Dec. 31, 2007, 11:42 a.m.

idump was stupid easy

Dec. 31, 2007, 11:54 a.m.

it will only rename your files on itunes… they will still be 4 letter combos in the file. this ends up to be a hassle… I have done it a few times but i dump is just much easier. and faster if you have a lot of tunes.

No, it renames the files. You have to check the option to "keep itunes Music Folder organized"

You can do this when you first set up itunes, or you can navigate to:

Edit [HTML_REMOVED] Preferences [HTML_REMOVED] Advanced [HTML_REMOVED] General

Check the box to "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and double check that you're pointed at the right folder.

I use a program called MediaMonkey for daily usage. It's based on WinAmp but it's really well done. Looks up tags from various internet sources, databases well, lots of plugins, etc.

I actually paid for a license because its so good. I found that iTunes just crapped out on me all the time. I'm guessing that it works really well on a Mac but drop 20K songs into a PC environment and it trips balls.

Another program is RockBox. It replaces the OS in your iPod too, and its a bit more involved to set up, but it looks awesome too. If you're into some tinkering it looks worthwhile. You can custome crossfade tracks on the fly with it, all DJ style.

Dec. 31, 2007, 12:26 p.m.

No, it renames the files. You have to check the option to "keep itunes Music Folder organized"

You can do this when you first set up itunes, or you can navigate to:

Edit [HTML_REMOVED] Preferences [HTML_REMOVED] Advanced [HTML_REMOVED] General

Check the box to "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and double check that you're pointed at the right folder.

I use a program called MediaMonkey for daily usage. It's based on WinAmp but it's really well done. Looks up tags from various internet sources, databases well, lots of plugins, etc.

I actually paid for a license because its so good. I found that iTunes just crapped out on me all the time. I'm guessing that it works really well on a Mac but drop 20K songs into a PC environment and it trips balls.

Another program is RockBox. It replaces the OS in your iPod too, and its a bit more involved to set up, but it looks awesome too. If you're into some tinkering it looks worthwhile. You can custome crossfade tracks on the fly with it, all DJ style.

hmm i never did that. =/

still if you want one song off your friends ipod or something its like wtf i gotta take all of his crap including "hilary duff christmas sounds"

Dec. 31, 2007, 12:32 p.m.

Buy anapod online for 29 bucks with everything, i did and its the best program ever! totaly worth it. and you can transfer right way, its so fast and easy to use. i gave up trying to find free sotfware, it was all shit. its worth the money to save all that music,vids you stole ownloading haha. you can even save all te playlists off your ipod and other information. I have 40 gigs of music backed up on external harddrve now wooo.

stuff for sale:
Dainese upper body suit, size medium, brand new and never worn $200
email me for details: [email protected]

Dec. 31, 2007, 12:48 p.m.

Buy anapod online for 29 bucks with everything, i did and its the best program ever! totaly worth it. and you can transfer right way, its so fast and easy to use. i gave up trying to find free sotfware, it was all shit. its worth the money to save all that music,vids you stole ownloading haha. you can even save all te playlists off your ipod and other information. I have 40 gigs of music backed up on external harddrve now wooo.

or download idump and do all that :P

Dec. 31, 2007, 2:23 p.m.

Besides, with a name like iDump how can you NOT want to use it?

Dec. 31, 2007, 4:53 p.m.

Besides, with a name like iDump how can you NOT want to use it?

new avatar.

Dec. 31, 2007, 9:15 p.m.

hmm i never did that. =/

still if you want one song off your friends ipod or something its like wtf i gotta take all of his crap including "hilary duff christmas sounds"

dude
do you seriously have hilary duff christmas sounds
if so hook it up

Jan. 1, 2008, 1:46 a.m.

dude
do you seriously have hilary duff christmas sounds
if so hook it up

no no… I realized it wasn't worth plaguing my computer with crap like that for the 1 song I wanted =/

sorry bro :P

Jan. 1, 2008, 3:23 a.m.

So when you use iTunes to copy MP3 files to an iPod, does it strip the MP3 tags off? If not, then you could simply copy the files to your PC and use and MP3 tag editor (I use Zortam) to rename the files from the tags.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells