Bands you have seen live?

July 27, 2006, 3:19 a.m.

I saw matthew good live april 21st and all I can say is simply wow :D

July 27, 2006, 9:49 a.m.

Bands to add to the list that I will have seen in two months time

Buddy Guy Aug 13 Deer lake Blues festival
Moe. Sept 14 Commodore

July 27, 2006, 10:34 a.m.

Oh yeah. Twice - once at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, and "Babylon By Bus" show, at the Pacific Coliseum. I was holding for War Memorial too. I was standing on Hwy 99, hitching to work outside the Husky station at Whistler when I heard Bob died. A local bro pulled over and told me he just heard it on the radio - saw me standing there, and thought I'd want to know. Funny how you remember shit like that.

I've resisted posting to this thread, because like, I've seen a LOT of bands, and it's not because I'm cooler or hipper; it's because I'm older and lucky to have been around and able to sneak into the Commodore starting in about 1976. Also, I was in some punk bands for a while, and toured and stuff, and got to see some cool stuff that way too. So, here are some highlights, lowlights, acts from different genres, special shows and stuff. Not a complete list by any means.

Major Acts I've Seen More Than 10x
The Ramones
Sonic Youth
Beastie Boys

Major Act You've Never Heard of That I've Seen More Than 10x
Jonathan Richman

Biggest Band in Smallest Venue
Green Day at The Nappy Dugout

Glad to Have Been There
The Clash at the Commodore, the PNE Forum and the Kerrisdale Ballroom
Bob Marley at the QE and Pacific Coliseum
Dead Kennedys at the New York Theatre
PIL at the Showbox
Beck at the Howden Ballroom
Nirvana and The Melvins at the Crocodile

Best Show I Thought I Would Hate
Kid Creole and The Coconuts at Expo86

Could Have Done Without
The Cars at Pacific Coliseum

Hard to Believe They Played the Commodore
U2
Talking Heads
The Police

Loudest
Motorhead at the I-Beam in SF. No contest.

Longest
Parliament

Weirdest
Mike Meyers as "Dieter" from Sprockets, playing a "surprise" set of Sprockets Euro-trash at the Viper Room.

Reggae, and a lot of these with 'skid
Bob Marley and The Wailers
Ziggy Marley
Peter Tosh
Jimmy Cliff
Black Uhuru
Gregory Isaacs
Steel Pulse
Linton Kwesi Johnson (with Aswad)
Burning Spear
Eek a Mouse
Leroy Sibbles
Third World
UB40
Culture
Alpha Blondy
Ini Kamoze
Mikey Dread
Shinehead

Ska
(Original)
Skatalites
(Second Wave/Two Tone)
The Specials
The English Beat
The Selector
Madness
(Third Wave)
Operation Ivy
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Fishbone

Went because of a girl :cuffs:
David Bowie
Boz Scaggs
Beach Boys
10,000 Maniacs

Punk Rock Shows
Best Band To Open For My Band
- The Offspring
Worst Band to Open For My Band
- Grateful Dead Kennedys
Best Band We Opened For (Meaning they were nice and stuff)
- Faith No More
Worst Band(s) We Opened For (Meaning they were not nice)
- (tie) Social Distortion (hypocrites) and The Angry Samoans
Favorite Punk Rock Shows of All Time in Vancouver
- The Clash, Kerrisdale Arena
- The Descendents, Arts Club on Seymour
Favorite Punk Rock Shows Anywhere
- Mr. T Experience, Gillman Street in Berkeley
- NOFX, Raji's in Los Angeles
Honored to Be There
- Fugazi, Washington DC, private party (acoustic!)

OK, I'm getting fried. So many to list, like X, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, RHCP, Bad Brains, James Brown, Dick Dale…

Funny enough, and I took some ribbing for this, but I totally stand by it - the most fun I've had a show in a long while was The Wiggles. Went there with Nat Jr, front row Coliseum, 3PM show. We were home by dinner. It was a great show, and can't wait for them to come back.

Great post Nat! I, too, saw many of those shows you mentioned, especially all the shows at the Commodore around 1975-1980. Awesome anecdote about Bob. Was that Babylon By Bus at the Coliseum? I could have sworn it was the Survival tour. Maybe it was a different show, different year. What stood out for me at that concert was the great call- and- response on Get Up, Stand Up

ski faster, I hear banjo music

July 27, 2006, 11:24 a.m.

Great post Nat! I, too, saw many of those shows you mentioned, especially all the shows at the Commodore around 1975-1980. Awesome anecdote about Bob. Was that Babylon By Bus at the Coliseum? I could have sworn it was the Survival tour. Maybe it was a different show, different year. What stood out for me at that concert was the great call- and- response on Get Up, Stand Up

No, you're right - it was the "Survival" tour. The "Babylon By Bus" tour was anything but a bus tour - it was all through Asia-Pacific, but the recordings for the live record were done on the "Kaya" tour (mostly in Paris), which was the tour Bob hit the QE, and was a bus tour. The songs and shows were basically the same between the "Babylon" and the "Survival" tours, but the "Survival" leg was late 1979, whereas the "Babylon" was spring 1979. In fact, the clothes Bob wears on the "Babylon" album shots were the same ones he wore at the Coliseum.

I can't confirm this, but apparently Bob's first Canadian appearance was in Edmonton in 1973. That was the "Burnin" tour, and as far as I can tell, he might have appeared (with Bunny and Peter!) at an Ethopian famine benefit gig there in between some shows in California and a scheduled date in Philly. A "gold" to anyone who can confirm this.

One note about the Wailers in Vancouver - they stayed at the Holiday Inn on Howe Street, because they had in-suites and could handle their own ital cooking.

How geeked on Bob is that, eh?

I guess I met you and Stormin' Norman at the same time, late 1977 or thereabouts, when I lasted all of term at UBC before moving to Whistler. The Clash show at the Forum was REALLY loud, because I remember that being their second Vancouver gig, and I couldn't hear this stupid lecture on "The Dynamics of Motor Skill Acquisition" the next day.

I also left out two Devo shows, the first one at the Commodore, and then the second one at the Forum with The Pointed Sticks opening for them. Bands I do wish I got to see in their prime (although I've seen them since) were the Buzzcocks and Stiff Little Fingers. I did see the original Boomtown Rats at the Forum, not long after Geldorf stopped writing for the Straight, and LONG before he was Sir Bob.

WOY-YO! WOY-YO, YO YO.
Never give up the fight.

July 27, 2006, 12:06 p.m.

they def played Edmonton in 1973 and apparently hated it for the cold weather- there's lots of photos and even some video of Peter Bunny [HTML_REMOVED] Bob playing there. I don't think the people in Edmonton at the time knew quite what to make of these black fellers from Jamaica. Could you imagine being there?
Hey that Clash show at the PNE made my ears ring for 2 days too- and that sure was a good one at Kerrisdale Arena- it ain't Coca-cola, it's rice.

ski faster, I hear banjo music

July 27, 2006, 12:44 p.m.

they def played Edmonton in 1973 and apparently hated it for the cold weather- there's lots of photos and even some video of Peter Bunny [HTML_REMOVED] Bob playing there. I don't think the people in Edmonton at the time knew quite what to make of these black fellers from Jamaica. Could you imagine being there?
Hey that Clash show at the PNE made my ears ring for 2 days too- and that sure was a good one at Kerrisdale Arena- it ain't Coca-cola, it's rice.

Yeah, I :google: and found out about that show. Damn, that's amazing. How cool would it have been to be there for that. Original lineup too. There seems to be a DVD available with some footage from that show (must buy…)

July 27, 2006, 1:04 p.m.

Nat you ever catch anybody at Club Sodas after a gig?

Great room, super small, me and a buddy used to go there all the time and everyone would stop by and jam

meh

July 27, 2006, 1:15 p.m.

Nat you ever catch anybody at Club Sodas after a gig?

Great room, super small, me and a buddy used to go there all the time and everyone would stop by and jam

Yeah, Club Soda was good. We played many shows there, and I also saw some great acts there like Shonen Knife and Jonathan Richman.

At one of our gigs, I passed out sticks and marshmallows from the stage, and lit my skateboard on fire with lighter fluid ala Hendrix. We had a song called "Punks Go Camping," and there were all these people roasting marshies. Of course they made the whole floor sticky.

My favorite venue though for local punk was the Arts Club on Seymour. Gooch did you or anyone ever hit that? I'm so OLD :lol:

We did a show there with the Day Glos, and there was this amazing moment when the theatre folks were leaving about 11:30PM, and looking in as Jesus Bonehead was playing completely naked.

July 27, 2006, 1:52 p.m.

Yeah, Club Soda was good. We played many shows there, and I also saw some great acts there like Shonen Knife and Jonathan Richman.

At one of our gigs, I passed out sticks and marshmallows from the stage, and lit my skateboard on fire with lighter fluid ala Hendrix. We had a song called "Punks Go Camping," and there were all these people roasting marshies. Of course they made the whole floor sticky.

My favorite venue though for local punk was the Arts Club on Seymour. Gooch did you or anyone ever hit that? I'm so OLD :lol:

We did a show there with the Day Glos, and there was this amazing moment when the theatre folks were leaving about 11:30PM, and looking in as Jesus Bonehead was playing completely naked.

Saw a few there, but it closed only a few years after I became legal so not as much history as you have

meh

July 27, 2006, 4:44 p.m.

the stones
rush
ACDC
tom cochrane
50 cent
hot hot heat
justin timberlake

and a few others but I cant remember the names.

the rest is all country music heres a few good ones I have seen:

brooke and dunn
tim mcgraw
nitty gritty dirt band
lonestar
aaron pritchett
paul brandt
travis tritt

July 27, 2006, 5:01 p.m.

We had a song called "Punks Go Camping,"

ahhh. so THATS who you are. cool. what a great scene - sounded like some very fun years.

July 27, 2006, 5:57 p.m.

Biggest Band in Smallest Venue
Green Day at The Nappy Dugout

i was supposed to go to that show and did not. a few buddies bailed. i went to a few shows there though it was a great place.

green day talks about the nappy dugout every time they play a show here

turn off sigs…it will change your life

July 27, 2006, 6:01 p.m.

Best Band We Opened For (Meaning they were nice and stuff)
- Faith No More

which shows? (commodore, rage/86th street? )i think i have seen them most times they played here and likely saw you play.

FNM is one of my faves

turn off sigs…it will change your life

July 27, 2006, 6:45 p.m.

which shows? (commodore, rage/86th street? )i think i have seen them most times they played here and likely saw you play.

FNM is one of my faves

Town Pump yo.
Great show, nice guys.

July 27, 2006, 6:47 p.m.

i was supposed to go to that show and did not. a few buddies bailed. i went to a few shows there though it was a great place.

green day talks about the nappy dugout every time they play a show here

The Nappy Dugout was PD's place, across from the Scuzz (LuvAFair).

- which reminds me of the Husker Du show I saw there LOL

I ran into Billy Joe in NYC at the Niagara, and he saw my Skull hoody, and we talked for about 30 minutes. Nice guy.