Something's loose.

July 26, 2003, 1:39 p.m.

when I lock the front brakes and rock it back and forth, I can hear something in the headtube making some klucking noise. I can also feel something's loose.

When I flip the bike upside down, and rock the fork back and forth, I can hear small movement in the headtube?

The steam cap bolt seems to be tight.

help?

July 26, 2003, 1:42 p.m.

headsets loose??? thats what it sounds like to me

Bikes with two wheels for life.

July 26, 2003, 1:44 p.m.

try

1) repress your headset
2) loosen all bolts, tighten all bolts, tighten the top cap bolt before the stem bolts.
3) loosen fork bolts and lube and retighten.

2004 truvative luftalarm street/dj cranks $100 OBO.
Front XT 9mm hub $45 OBO
Rear Deore hub with great SS set up + 10mm rear axel - $50 OBO
6" hayes roter $10

July 26, 2003, 1:44 p.m.

i had the same thing no too long ago. turned out it was one of the nuts on the bottom of the stanchion that had come loose. the noise was the cartridge shifting around the inside and the noise appeared to have traveled up the stanchion, making it sound like its the headtube or headset. check that. i hope its just a minor thing.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight D. Eisenhower "The Chance for Peace" 1953

July 26, 2003, 2:12 p.m.

Checking if your top cap bolt is tight isn't going to help anything if your stem bolts are also tight.

By the looks of your post, you'd be better off taking your bike to a shop to have it looked at. Then watch what they do so you'll know how to take care of it next time.

Or if you think you can handle it… http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml#adjust

July 26, 2003, 3:31 p.m.

that happened to me after i switched forks - the headset was loose. i just loosened all the screws attaching the top clamp to the headset, loosened the headset, pushed the clamp up and retightened everything and now it's ok. that was the second time - the first time we figured out i needed a spacer between the clamp and the headset. oh btw i have a jrt on my frame, if that helps.

i'm probably not being very clear..it's hard to explain. :(

July 26, 2003, 3:35 p.m.

yeah, read the article on park tool.

loosen stem cap bolt and stem bolts on the steering tube.
tighten stem cap first and tighten stem bolts

July 26, 2003, 3:44 p.m.

also try tightening your discs.

July 26, 2003, 5:28 p.m.

Originally posted by superman_4
also try tightening your discs.

could you elaborate there young grommit ?

maybe stating what he should tighten

check all the bolts holding the rotor onto the hub
also check all the bolts holding the caliper to the adaptor or the adaptror to the fork