derailer won't change out of middle gears

July 23, 2003, 1:30 p.m.

My r derailer was hummin along nicely but at the end of a ride last night I found that I couldn't shift into the two largest cogs.

I figured the cable might have slipped or stretched out but then I also found I couldn't shift into the smallest cog!

The hanger and derailer are straight and the derailer is fairly new (5 days of riding). There is nothing stuck inside it or obviously wrong. The limit screws are adjusted right and I can push the derailer by hand through all the cogs. I lubed the chain and the cable but with no effect.

Could the internals of my shifter be stripped? I'm going to undo the cable and see if the shifter still indexes but thought I'd ask before I started pulling things apart.

July 23, 2003, 1:37 p.m.

Cable might be frayed somewhere and binding?:???: Did you install a new cable with the derailleur?

I've never heard of shifter internals stripping out before. But everything does break eventually.

July 23, 2003, 1:41 p.m.

Yup - I put a new cable in when I installed it. I'll check it for frays.

July 23, 2003, 1:56 p.m.

sounds like a cable issue…

perhaps its binding insider the shifter or somewhere along the housing…..

July 23, 2003, 6:31 p.m.

To check your shifter, pull the cable out of the housing and derailleur, then pull on the cable by hand and run the shifter through it's range. You should be able to feel each click as the cable is pulled into or released from the shifter. If not, replace the shifter.

While you have it apart, inspect the cable and housing carefully. Worn housing will mushroom in place and cause that type of symptom.