Bike light insight

Sept. 25, 2007, 1:26 p.m.

Any idea where I can order one of those new mounts to replace my old-style one?

http://www.niterider.com/store_mounts.shtml

Angle MultiPosition Bike Helmet Mount
$16.99
Sku# 4130

Sept. 25, 2007, 4:33 p.m.

Any idea where I can order one of those new mounts to replace my old-style one?

Obsession had them in stock last time I was there. I was hoping I could get the old style, but they are no more. I never had an issue with using the old ones on my full face. I am not a fan of the new style mounts. It makes the light sit way too high, and I am worried about taking it out on a overhanging tree or something. They also look flimsy and would break off fairly easily. They do have better weight distribution though.

Sept. 25, 2007, 7:10 p.m.

Has anyone got feedback on the Dinotte 600 led lights?

Sept. 25, 2007, 10:44 p.m.

I'm really intrigued by the Tri-newt from what you guys are saying. I'll check tomorrow or Thursday what I can get those for. Get in touch with me at the shop if you'd be interested in picking up a set (or any other nite riders). The more people we get in on the order the cheaper it will be for everyone. Plus we won't end up with stale old batteries that have been sitting in a warehouse since '05 or '06…

-m

Sept. 25, 2007, 10:47 p.m.

Obsession had them in stock last time I was there. I was hoping I could get the old style, but they are no more. I never had an issue with using the old ones on my full face. I am not a fan of the new style mounts. It makes the light sit way too high, and I am worried about taking it out on a overhanging tree or something. They also look flimsy and would break off fairly easily. They do have better weight distribution though.

Actually now I think I should get one of those "moto" style ones to mount on the chin of my full-face.

Sept. 25, 2007, 10:49 p.m.

^ditto. Knight-rider, doesn't the breathing fog also get lit up from that position? Any glare or other cons about that mount style?

-m

Sept. 26, 2007, 2:14 a.m.

Besides increased light, the one thing I like about HID is the "whiter" light. In the forest, everything looks too orange with a Halogen light. The HID, with it's slight blue tint, provides a look that is closer to daylight.

The TriNewt doesn't put out as much light as some HID lights (ARC HID puts out about 35% more light than the TriNewt), and I doubt it's any brighter than the Rage. However, the TriNewt uses a Li-Ion battery, so the battery would be lighter than the Rage, but give about the same burn time. It also produces different light, which would be interesting to see on the trail.

As for price, the you can get an HID setup for you helmet that costs $280. The TriNewt is going to cost around $450.

Good page for checking out different lighting. The 22W Betty is a high output LED system, and the Edison 16 is a high output HID.
http://www.lupine.de/content/main_flash.php?lang=de

My brother purchased the Rage, and it came with both a helmet and handlebar mount. The LEDs aren't bright, but they are only meant for use when you're stopped and you want to look for something in your bag.

way more light from a 20 dollar petzel LED light. (which you should have in your pack as an emergency anyway)

I pack a NiteRider HID for emergencies. ;)

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 26, 2007, 9:05 a.m.

I was looking at high power LED, but the technology is still too new. Maybe in two/three years you should buy some. A good source of info is the light forum on mtbr.com, some guys there are real geeks! Lupine is just to much $$$ but kind of cool, if i had the cash i would get the betty 6.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 26, 2007, 10:55 a.m.

Besides increased light, the one thing I like about HID is the "whiter" light. In the forest, everything looks too orange with a Halogen light. The HID, with it's slight blue tint, provides a look that is closer to daylight.

Interesting that you say that. I've heard others say that a yellow tint like from a halogen is preferable. I don't know about that. Maybe the HID is so much brighter than the best halogen that the whiter light is a non issue. But the LED is pretty white light too. I have a couple cheapo battery units for road and while they are very s
visible they don't illuminate worth crap. Maybe those are simply too diffuse a pattern.

Beam pattern and reflector quality is big issue too. Like I said earlier, I have a L[HTML_REMOVED]M HID as well as Niterider and I find the Nightrider is far better. The bulbs are all the same too. I think they are pretty much all supplied by Solarc? I met a guy on the chairlift at Whistler a few winters ago and he said he owned the company that supplied HID bulbs to all the HID bike light manufacturers. So any light difference would be reflectors assuming the bulbs put out the same light.

I know regular tungsten filament bulbs loose output as they age. Do HID bulbs also degrade significantly with time? How about LED? When a manufacturer says our bulbs last X number of hours, is that an average to complete failure or average time until light output is signifacantly degraded?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 26, 2007, 11:16 a.m.

I've heard a downside of the new LED's is they make very few shadows, and thus you don't have as good depth perception.

Just a "I've heard" comment with little substance behind.

Sept. 26, 2007, 11:18 a.m.

Oldfart - run both your NR and LIM on the same helmet. NR on the top and LIM on the faceguard. You'll be very happy. They both have different light patterns, and compliment each other nicely! Aim both in the same focus point. The LIM will give you distant light and the NR will give you nearby light.

Sept. 26, 2007, 12:18 p.m.

I've heard a downside of the new LED's is they make very few shadows, and thus you don't have as good depth perception.

Just a "I've heard" comment with little substance behind.

you're right, very little substance.

shadows = bad.

so less shadows == good, not bad.

you don't need shadows to have depth perception when you have enough light …

Sept. 26, 2007, 12:22 p.m.

I don't often wear the full face so most of my night rides that wouldn't work, and I'd need a ff mount. That and I have run the LIM on the helmet and NR on the bar and NR light is brighter and illuminates farther, has better spill, I think it's a flood. I also have another NR for the helmet and using the 2 NR's is the ticket. The LIM is a spare for the wife, commutting and for when the NR is getting repaired, which seems to be something that I have to have done every season.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 26, 2007, 1:06 p.m.

Shadows in front of you are ok. Shadows to the side are bad; your eyes look all over the place as you wonder "what was that - what was that".

Yellowish light is supposed to be better in foggy conditions. Personally, I like the hotter light. When you try a 10W halogen, it looks far too yellow/orange. For me, the hotter tint is more appealing, especially in wet conditions. Try driving a car on a dark, wet road with both halogens and HIDs. The whiter light of the HID will provide better visibility.

If you want a lot of light for cheap, you have to do what thedude did - dual 35W or 50W MR16 bulbs.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 26, 2007, 4:37 p.m.

^ditto. Knight-rider, doesn't the breathing fog also get lit up from that position? Any glare or other cons about that mount style?

-m

I've run the lights on the top and on the jaw. I don't find much difference once the light is aimed properly. One thing I noticed is that after my helmut gets all sweaty, it tends to move around with the lights on it. With the light on the top, I don't notice the movement as much. If I am going to run only one light on my head, I will use the top mount. I've even ran one on the top, and one on each jaw. It was heavy, and I didn't notice any difference between 2 and 3 lights. Huge difference between 1 and 2 lights though. Currently, I am running one NR on the jaw(flood), and one on the top(spot). I am also set up for 2 on the jaw. It is also alright. Lots of helmut movement, but makes you look like the predator.

As far as fog goes, the hid's suck in the fog. I usually shut one light down to cut down on glare. In my opinion my 15 watt halogen is better in the fog. Too bad it is inferior to my NR's in every other way.