My little Netherlands

Sept. 1, 2012, 8:30 a.m.

Does anyone know why Silverstar has such a heacy Dutch scene? The coffee shop is run by a dutch family with proper baked goods and the Bulldog is an Amsterdam bar (7 or 8 locations). Being of the taller variety I'm really digging it here, on top of the legendary SS flow.

Sept. 1, 2012, 12:01 p.m.

The agricultural areas and environs of BC (Okanagan, Fraser Delta, Fraser Valley) are full of the of post-WWII Dutch immigrants and their descendants. Perhaps the most famous/infamous is a guy named Wilhelmus Vander Zalm. The Netherlands was devastated by the War and many left out of desperation. The Dutch also felt a sense of kinship with Canada … their royal family spent most of WWII in exile in Canada and Canadian forces played a big role in the liberation of the Netherlands from Nazi occupation.

Sept. 2, 2012, 8:18 a.m.

The agricultural areas and environs of BC (Okanagan, Fraser Delta, Fraser Valley) are full of the of post-WWII Dutch immigrants and their descendants. Perhaps the most famous/infamous is a guy named Wilhelmus Vander Zalm. The Netherlands was devastated by the War and many left out of desperation. The Dutch also felt a sense of kinship with Canada … their royal family spent most of WWII in exile in Canada and Canadian forces played a big role in the liberation of the Netherlands from Nazi occupation.

There are pockets of Dutch ppl everywhere. Tonnes in the Fraser Valley, about a zillion across the border in Lynden. Like many immigrants they tended to settle together. My Oma and Opa settled in Alberta (there are lots of Dutch in Rocky Mountain House, Lacome etc).There are still a fair number of Dutch coming over as farms are comparatively cheap.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"