Skip the bananas in your fruit smoothies

Sept. 9, 2023, 9:37 a.m.

"We know from previous studies that flavanols can be broken down by polyphenol oxidase. The extent of the effect from adding a single banana was still very surprising – it had enough polyphenol oxidase to destroy the vast majority of flavanols found in the berries. Bananas may be ruled out of the morning smoothie if you want to boost your flavanol intake, but on their own, they are still great fruits and can play an important role in many healthy diets.”

https://www.reading.ac.uk/news/2023/Research-News/Avoid-going-bananas-to-avoid-this-common-smoothie-slip-up

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Last edited by: syncro on Sept. 9, 2023, 10:05 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 9, 2023, 10:16 a.m.

How many people do you think put berries in their smoothies for the flavanol content as opposed for the taste? I wonder how many people heard of the word flavanol before reading this. Maybe just me, my low flavanol content might be contributing to my cognitive decline. Truthfully, I don't put berries or bananas in my daily smoothies so I don't know if I'm doing it right or all wrong.

Sept. 9, 2023, 10:24 a.m.

Posted by: DaveM

How many people do you think put berries in their smoothies for the flavanol content as opposed for the taste? I wonder how many people heard of the word flavanol before reading this. Maybe just me, my low flavanol content might be contributing to my cognitive decline. Truthfully, I don't put berries or bananas in my daily smoothies so I don't know if I'm doing it right or all wrong.

Dave, I think if you live your life on the assumption that everything you do is wrong you won't have to stress yourself out with these sorts of questions.

I do berries for flavour as well as the nutritional aspect and was surprised and disappointed to read that bananas ruin a critical part of the health benefit of having fruit smoothies. Pulling out my banana is something I'll have to start doing more of it seems.

Last edited by: syncro on Sept. 9, 2023, 10:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sp
Sept. 9, 2023, 11 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Dave, I think if you live your life on the assumption that everything you do is wrong you won't have to stress yourself out with these sorts of questions

If we’re making a list, this would be one of the least wrong choices I’ve made

Sept. 9, 2023, 11:49 a.m.

shoot, that explains why my flav's count is so low, thanks splinky!

Sept. 10, 2023, 11:14 a.m.

Thank god, this info does not really collide with my hop intake in the evening....