New posts

Dude@'s comments

19 comments found

INTERVIEW - Santa Cruz Engineering Mgr. Nick Anderson talks Megatower - March 21, 2019, 8:03 a.m.

I agree! Demos are waste of time and potentially money. There is so much that goes into setting up for personal preference. You can't achieve that in that in a short period of time.  

There is always excitement for a new bike arrival, but then there is reality of - this is going to take some time to dial in. There are micro-muscle adjustments and muscle memory. Yes, you get to the 80% solution quickly its the remaining 20% that takes time and the most critical in determining if this bike works for you.

The newer geometry has been eye opening to me. I have always been stuck in smaller is better until recently. I got an Evil Offering. I love the longer geometry. However, I learned that I had bad riding habits that I developed on shorter geometry bikes. I realized on a short geometry, based on weight distributions, I could easily compensate with bad riding form. On the longer geometry, bad form shows its head very quickly. In practicing better form and technique, I realized that the size was a little less critical, but preferred the longer geometry. The longer geometry requires more focus, but that makes it a lot of fun because when you nail it - wow does it feel great!

INTERVIEW - Santa Cruz Engineering Mgr. Nick Anderson talks Megatower - March 20, 2019, 9:51 a.m.

Great article Cam (and that's for fixing my account as I can finally post)!!! I appreciate the inclusion of sizing in your previous article and following it up in this article. I feel this is typically ignored other than broad statements. I understand the reason to ignore sizing as the focus is on the bike review, not its size. However these days sizing is critical, even if preference differs amongst riders.

I also find it ironic that SteveM puts effort into educating the biking community, which generate tons of responses only to ignored the following week. Spelling out the importance of front center or that reach alone is not the sole descriptor of bike fit. Recognizing the fact reach is dependent upon stack height and head angle - therefore not all reaches are comparable. Lee McCormack suggests the hypothenuse between reach and stack. Lots of good info out there - again with different supporting facts.

I gather from Nick statements above, that sizing is almost order 1 based on his preference of the MT over the Bronson, with bike travel/wheel size being second or third.

With sizing becoming so much more critical, its unclear how many of the recent group reviews (Bike Bible, Pinkbike, etc) achieve an actual review, where folks of various dimensions discuss the characteristics of bike. I am not even sure of the validity of the results. I know these reviews are not gospel, but they are helpful nudges toward getting the right bike.

Cheers!

Jamie

Santa Cruz Nomad IV - Dec. 23, 2017, 12:11 p.m.

Interesting comparison with the N4 and HD4. I would have assumed they would have been more similar considering that their, unsagged, geometries are nearly identical.

Min-Maxing Cockpit Spec - Sept. 3, 2017, 4:56 p.m.

great article....I have ridden a lot new bikes over the past year, it is amazing how much time I spend dialing in the cockpit - mostly the stem, spacers, bar length, and bar rotation. I have learn to appreciate the impact that all of these have on controlling the bike and finding the position that optimizes its comfort. Bar roll has piqued my interest as of lately and how important it is in frontward or rearward weighting of the bike. I personally feel that as bikes get longer this takes a priority. 

My friends think I am crazy until they try it out and recognize the impact.

As much as I have tried to use <50mm stem, every time I come back to the 50mm. 

saddle is pretty easy to set-up...I use the same saddle and drop a weighted line off the nose to find the same spot relative to the BB.

19 comments found

Forum jump: