Whistler'ing in the rain

Aug. 13, 2015, 9:54 a.m.

So it looks like its supposed to rain this Saturday in Whistler, that being said, my gf got me a pass as a present specifically for this day like 2 months ago. I'm wondering how hectic are the trails going to be and what's the risk of closures? Or should I even bother coming up?

Cheers :fruit:

Aug. 13, 2015, 10:08 a.m.

So it looks like its supposed to rain this Saturday in Whistler, that being said, my gf got me a pass as a present specifically for this day like 2 months ago. I'm wondering how hectic are the trails going to be and what's the risk of closures? Or should I even bother coming up?

Cheers :fruit:

we could use some more rain showers, saturday I don't think there are too many closures, maybe some for Cdn Open training.

Aug. 13, 2015, 3:59 p.m.

Quite a bit closed for DH training on Saturday morning, then lower stuff closed for slopestyle in the evening. I would go ride in Garbanzo to avoid the crowds: http://bike.whistlerblackcomb.com/~/media/e6e8e85bbb6c45c29419674a9deb85c5.pdf

As long as there is no lightning the lifts will not be shut down (if lightning is detected at the weather station they close for 20 min intervals I believe). Forecast does not call for lightning just showers, should be a good day.

Aug. 13, 2015, 4:33 p.m.

Quite a bit closed for DH training on Saturday morning, then lower stuff closed for slopestyle in the evening. I would go ride in Garbanzo to avoid the crowds: http://bike.whistlerblackcomb.com/~/media/e6e8e85bbb6c45c29419674a9deb85c5.pdf

As long as there is no lightning the lifts will not be shut down (if lightning is detected at the weather station they close for 20 min intervals I believe). Forecast does not call for lightning just showers, should be a good day.

Ah ok sweet, I was looking to ride mainly Blue Velvet and Crank It Up

Aug. 27, 2015, 12:07 p.m.

Reviving this thread. Heading up this Fri-Mon, and Saturday looks like it'll be a soaker. Thinking of throwing in the trail bikes and riding Pemberton in hopes of better weather that day. I don't mind some rain in the park or valley, but 2 inches might be on tap, that's a wee bit much.

Anyone got a good wet weather loop they recommend in Pemberton? We're fit and like lots of tech. Not scared of wet roots, just don't want to ride something that should be avoided when rainy.

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

Aug. 27, 2015, 12:18 p.m.

anything in pemby in the rain, or whistler valley for that matter, will be 100% more fun than the bikepark in the rain.

Aug. 27, 2015, 12:54 p.m.

Reviving this thread. Heading up this Fri-Mon, and Saturday looks like it'll be a soaker. Thinking of throwing in the trail bikes and riding Pemberton in hopes of better weather that day. I don't mind some rain in the park or valley, but 2 inches might be on tap, that's a wee bit much.

Anyone got a good wet weather loop they recommend in Pemberton? We're fit and like lots of tech. Not scared of wet roots, just don't want to ride something that should be avoided when rainy.

Up Happy, Nimby, Middle Earth. Down Rudy's into Rusty Trombone then either Crosstown or Blood Sweat and Fear would be a good Pemby taster for you guys.

Aug. 27, 2015, 2:34 p.m.

Up Happy, Nimby, Middle Earth. Down Rudy's into Rusty Trombone then either Crosstown or Blood Sweat and Fear would be a good Pemby taster for you guys.

That would be a hell of day in the rain…

Aug. 27, 2015, 2:39 p.m.

They said they like tech and wet roots!

Aug. 27, 2015, 3:04 p.m.

What about a good loop in the Whistler valley in the rain?
I'm more about a blue/light black type of rider and never rode the valley.
I'm quite tempted to ride the valley this week end. Any suggestions for those in the know? :)

Aug. 27, 2015, 3:33 p.m.

What about a good loop in the Whistler valley in the rain?
I'm more about a blue/light black type of rider and never rode the valley.
I'm quite tempted to ride the valley this week end. Any suggestions for those in the know? :)

pretty much everything in the valley is wet weather rideable, best bet is south end of town though in the interpretive forest. Riverside/Farside, High Side, See Colours, Business Time, AMPM are all super good when they get some moisture…all are pretty dry and loose right now

Aug. 27, 2015, 5:29 p.m.

pretty much everything in the valley is wet weather rideable, best bet is south end of town though in the interpretive forest. Riverside/Farside, High Side, See Colours, Business Time, AMPM are all super good when they get some moisture…all are pretty dry and loose right now

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'll check this area then ;)

Aug. 27, 2015, 11:18 p.m.

Hmmm, intrigued. What does hell of a day mean? 5 hours of pedaling?

Aug. 27, 2015, 11:19 p.m.

Sweet, thanks! Might just go for it. We like adventure.

Aug. 28, 2015, 10:24 a.m.

Hmmm, intrigued. What does hell of a day mean? 5 hours of pedaling?

Yeah that sounds about right. maybe a little more. Its a great climb, single track the whole way, but for me, being in the actual rain for 5 hours would be too much.