Whistler - Where do you always fall

Aug. 1, 2019, 6 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

The straight line down the left hand side of the rock is a way better line IMO.

I have looked at that. The landing looks a bit rough. Do you have to pull up, or can you just roll it?

Aug. 2, 2019, 1:21 p.m.

Its usually a front wheel slide for me and usually in loose stuff - I often catch it before its too late when on dirt but on the babyhead crap junk like under the gondola on Monkey Hands, at speed....its just not a good spot for me!

Ive got that OSin exit down pat now - I dont do the wide line anymore...stay high on entrance but before I get on the fall-away sidehill traverse near the top, which can get slick as it looks polished to me, HARD right straight down the grade and into the turn. Its the sidehill that gave me problems prior - the steeper inside line solves that. I havent cleared that gross right hander on Goats this year because I think that the Crew put big new rocks in the line and theyre loose! Might be my imagination but it wasnt an issue last year. 

Im generally not looking to cross new things off my to do list. Too many injuries and I just want to ride.

Aug. 2, 2019, 3:24 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

I have looked at that. The landing looks a bit rough. Do you have to pull up, or can you just roll it?

You can roll or drop that bad boy @ 2:20

Last edited by: thaaad on Aug. 2, 2019, 3:26 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
Aug. 2, 2019, 3:28 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

You guys should stick to jumping. Way safer.

To be fair, I've never ever had a bad crash while jumping, but that's because I don't really do it lol

Aug. 2, 2019, 4:38 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Posted by: Stuminator

You can roll or drop that bad boy @ 2:20

That looks like my kind of trail although I might find myself on it and feel that the GoPro effect was in full force. I’ll try it this weekend!!!!

Aug. 2, 2019, 6:40 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Its usually a front wheel slide for me and usually in loose stuff - I often catch it before its too late when on dirt but on the babyhead crap junk like under the gondola on Monkey Hands, at speed....its just not a good spot for me!

Ive got that OSin exit down pat now - I dont do the wide line anymore...stay high on entrance but before I get on the fall-away sidehill traverse near the top, which can get slick as it looks polished to me, HARD right straight down the grade and into the turn. Its the sidehill that gave me problems prior - the steeper inside line solves that. I havent cleared that gross right hander on Goats this year because I think that the Crew put big new rocks in the line and theyre loose! Might be my imagination but it wasnt an issue last year.

Im generally not looking to cross new things off my to do list. Too many injuries and I just want to ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_12EI-nJ-U

At 4:10 in this video, Pilgrim came close to an ugly crash on that GG right hander. I don't think I will ever attempt it. Too much can go wrong.

Last edited by: Stuminator on Aug. 2, 2019, 6:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 6, 2019, 2:36 p.m.

Well that video makes me feel better about missing that corner on Goats this year so far. I did it 100% of the time last year but total fail so far - something has changed. The entrance to it feels tougher due to a tighter exit - those new rocks are sketchy!!!

But if Pilgram finds it scary and sketchy maybe I should cut my losses!!!!!

Aug. 9, 2019, 10:42 a.m.

Lmao, that is a wise decision.

I spent Monday riding with my 15 y/o and his buddy. Cleaned a ton of great trails and was feeling really good.

Until I overshot on a table in the trees on CIU and washed out the front end. Abrasions, bruised ribs, hurt ego, and now I dont trust my Knolly.

That said, how can I rip strava laps down duffman without issue, yet crash on CIU?

Last edited by: hypa on Aug. 9, 2019, 10:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 9, 2019, 11:45 a.m.

Well that video makes me feel better about missing that corner on Goats this year so far. I did it 100% of the time last year but total fail so far - something has changed. The entrance to it feels tougher due to a tighter exit - those new rocks are sketchy!!!

I've been hacking it up this year too, but figured it was just because I was spending more time on the jump trails in fits this year. Usually by the end of the season I've lapped it enough times that I feel good again, so I'll report back if I get it good again or not this season.

I don't remember the whole trail being so wet in previous years either. It seems like it's going to be permanently muddy.

Last edited by: Cheez1ts on Aug. 9, 2019, 11:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 9, 2019, noon

Posted by: hypa

That said, how can I rip strava laps down duffman without issue, yet crash on CIU?

My guess would be confidence.  I’ve pretty much been riding jump trails for the last two years and my tech skills have atrophied quite a bit, and the confidence is just not there.  I’m riding them like a rookie these days and find myself dabbing and going off trail so much.

Aug. 9, 2019, 2:49 p.m.

I cant ride jump trails either, probably because I choose to ride the tech while my son hits the jumps and we meet at the bottom; Im getting no jump miles in so Ive gotten rusty. I think that Ive gone down ALine ONCE this year (12 days in the Park). Shocking.....no wonder I just about stuffed it badly on Freight Train last weekend - which Ive been riding because its the only way down from Duffman (Lower Duffman has been closed but I think that it is open now). I do not like FT.

It depends upon what you're riding. I like mountain biking - I dont see the jump trails as mountain biking.

Aug. 9, 2019, 3:01 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Posted by: hypa

My guess would be confidence.

This is it right here.

As someone who has been on the jump struggle bus for a long time it's all in your head.

Aug. 9, 2019, 3:36 p.m.

I cant ride jump trails either, probably because I choose to ride the tech while my son hits the jumps and we meet at the bottom; Im getting no jump miles in so Ive gotten rusty. I think that Ive gone down ALine ONCE this year (12 days in the Park). Shocking.....no wonder I just about stuffed it badly on Freight Train last weekend - which Ive been riding because its the only way down from Duffman (Lower Duffman has been closed but I think that it is open now). I do not like FT.

It depends upon what you're riding. I like mountain biking - I dont see the jump trails as mountain biking.

What should it be called?  Is it important that lay-people are able to differentiate?  If so, why?

Aug. 9, 2019, 3:46 p.m.

Yeah come on Dave it's mountain biking. As soon as these things were invented people started getting air between their tires. Don't be such a pussy! ;)

I love both tech and jumps. The trick is to keep them both going. There's plenty of routes down the hill that allow you to mix in aspects of each.

Last edited by: Kieran on Aug. 9, 2019, 3:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 9, 2019, 6:40 p.m.

I prefer the tech trails to the jump trails. Generally the only section of A-Line I ever hit is the tech section in the trees, then I take a right into Hornet.

I have cleaned every section of Goat's except that right hander in the Pilgrim video, but it has to be completely dry. From what I have seen, the trail has been wet all season.

Thread killer