Whistler valley trails - need recommendations...

Aug. 21, 2018, 9:27 a.m.

Im a North Shore guy who rides the WBP like, once a year.  I'll be up this weekend and thought I might give the non-WBP trails a try, but I don't know where to start.  Are there any trails that are considered classics or at least very popular?  I don't have all day but probably a few hours.  Riding a Bronson.  Cheers.

Aug. 21, 2018, 10:13 a.m.

I would normally recommend blackcomb trails but they are beat up right now. Maybe Dark Crystal. Otherwise something like cheap thrills and rockwork trilogy are always good.

Aug. 21, 2018, 11:43 a.m.

thanks. should probably mention im not looking for anything too gnarly.

whats the rockwork trilogy?

Last edited by: mike-henry on Aug. 21, 2018, 11:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 21, 2018, 11:48 a.m.

Rockwork orange korova milk bar and wizards burial ground, the three link up. Pretty gnarly though, especially wizards.

The lost lake trails are fun if you haven't ridden them before. They won't get suggested much because it's the go to easier riding area. Start behind passive haus, up peaches then link all the blues to jelly roll gum drop. Then to add on you can spin up hook tender/Tommy more then link central scrutinizer to Grand wazoo then finish at lost lake beach. Nothing gnarly but bridges, easier rock slabs, all mixed in with constant up/down.

The must do awesome/popular ride is into the mystic /lord of the squirrels but it's an all day ride, sounds like you don't have time. It would also suck if the smoke is still around.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Aug. 21, 2018, 12:08 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 21, 2018, 1:13 p.m.

Thanks - how about Danimal or Cut Yer Bars?

Last edited by: mike-henry on Aug. 21, 2018, 1:18 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 21, 2018, 2:22 p.m.

Danimal is a super fun one and worth checking out climb Hot Dog Alley then the new climbing trail off Scotia Creek.

Aug. 21, 2018, 2:45 p.m.

- Lost lake trails are surprisingly fun (as recommended above)

- Yummy Numby to Foreplay descent is a good loop - easier single black level descending

- Duncan's (aka. Business Time)

- A River Runs Through It (flatter XC but still fun)

Aug. 21, 2018, 5:50 p.m.

If you're looking to incorporate danimal (just a loop of danimal north isn't much) you could make a fun not too gnarly westside loop of up lower Sproatt/piece of cake/a la mode down three birds middle danimal, loop up and down 99er, then up to danimal north, then you could spin up alta lake Rd and do river runs through it after that

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Aug. 21, 2018, 5:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 22, 2018, 12:35 a.m.

Posted by: mike-henry

Thanks - how about Danimal or Cut Yer Bars?

Cut Yer Bars is pretty short, definitely a fun rip but if you have a few hours I'd do the west side loops recommended above or Duncans/Business Time... Could do Duncans and then if you have time pedal back up and do Heavy Flow/Tunnel vision etc.

I've only ridden it once but Pura Vida into Danimal was super fun and not gnar... Working Class just up the road was a step up in difficulty.

Aug. 22, 2018, 8:11 a.m.

Awesome suggestions guys.  I have to drop the kids off at Base II.  On Trail Forks it looks like I can park there and ride the Blackcomb Access Road to Yummy Numby - is that right?  Then down Foreplay, a rip around Lost Lake trails, and back up to Base II.  Is that gonna work?

Aug. 22, 2018, 4:55 p.m.

What are you comfortable riding in the park? Is that on the Bronson? Could give you a good loop with an idea of your preferred difficulty level.

Last edited by: luckbox on Aug. 22, 2018, 4:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 23, 2018, 4:02 p.m.

Awesome suggestions guys.  I have to drop the kids off at Base II.  On Trail Forks it looks like I can park there and ride the Blackcomb Access Road to Yummy Numby - is that right?  Then down Foreplay, a rip around Lost Lake trails, and back up to Base II.  Is that gonna work?

Yeah that or check out dark crystal

Aug. 24, 2018, 9:05 a.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

Yeah that or check out dark crystal

or both! you can also loop right through golden door above yummy numby, hang a left and then add the upper comfortably numb loop before descending back down Foreplay if you have some extra time. Pretty tech XC, but not ridden as much these days so pretty xc-loamy with tech rocky bits here and there

Sept. 1, 2018, 11:04 p.m.

How is Upper Babylon by Bike? I love old school tech, but haven’t tried out this one. By accounts, it seems it might be fairly abandoned...

For comparison, I’ve Gargamel, Upper PhD and any double black in the park and been able to hold my own.

Sept. 2, 2018, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: MrBaker87

How is Upper Babylon by Bike? I love old school tech, but haven’t tried out this one. By accounts, it seems it might be fairly abandoned...

For comparison, I’ve Gargamel, Upper PhD and any double black in the park and been able to hold my own.

It gets ridden occassionly but I personally wouldn't bother, especially when middle of nowhere is so fun. But very different riding styles. Its quite the grunt up the hill to it, but you can get it over quick and then ride SCAP or Heavy flow out which i find much more enjoyable.