Whistler trails (not WBP)

Sept. 29, 2016, 10:12 a.m.

Rode LOTS via the muni climb tuesday. Descent is amazing. Woudl recommend climbing LOTS and descending though, especially if you havnet spent much time in the alpine on Sproatt. So many drainages. Definitely got a little lost, luckily had plenty of time.

hit middle of nowhere via the Upper babylon route yesterday. Wetter in there than I expected for sure. That fall moisture is definitely not allowing things to dry out even with nice weather…

Sept. 29, 2016, 3:29 p.m.

Rode LOTS via the muni climb tuesday. Descent is amazing. Woudl recommend climbing LOTS and descending though, especially if you havnet spent much time in the alpine on Sproatt. So many drainages. Definitely got a little lost, luckily had plenty of time.

hit middle of nowhere via the Upper babylon route yesterday. Wetter in there than I expected for sure. That fall moisture is definitely not allowing things to dry out even with nice weather…

By any chance were you whistling as you were riding just before you passed a guy and a girl pushing up LOTS just below the lake? If so that was my wife and I.

The reason we went up LOTS is because the last time I went up the climbing trail there was a substantial amount of bushwacking and I wasn't sure how much more of the climbing trail had been built.

It was surprisingly busy. As we were eating lunch at Camp Lake 4 or 5 groups came through at about 7-10 people a group!

Lord Of The Squirrels is so much fun ripping down!

Sept. 29, 2016, 5:15 p.m.

I passed a couple of people, think it was by the rock rolls. Not much of a whistler, but definitely make more noise than others, so may have been hooting. Said something like, you're almost there and its so fun. I was solo and probably descended around 5 i think.

Sept. 29, 2016, 5:42 p.m.

That side definitely not drying out anymore with overnight cold and dew. Rode Kashmir, Kush, Downtown the other morning and it woke me up real fast. Kush seems less battered but could be moisture.

Climbed Tunnel Vision today and was surprised how climbable it is. Other than the Rocks at the top, the only hike was one small short steep on the old skid. Much potential for that with the new descent route in play. Great way to get to Cheakamus trails from Creekside.

Sept. 29, 2016, 7:52 p.m.

did a few more hours of maintenance with a group of guys on heavy flow tonight….soooo dumbed down and awesome!

Oct. 9, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

Anyone know where the snowline is on the sproat climb trail? Is it still possible to get to the top?

Oct. 9, 2016, 1:19 p.m.

Anyone know where the snowline is on the sproat climb trail? Is it still possible to get to the top?

W/B said 25cm of snow came in with the storm cycle. Climb goes from 860m to 1760, lots of snow at the roundhouse, which is at 1850m. Looking across the valley from the webcam, I'd say there is quite a bit of snow in the Alpine on Sproat.

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mountain-info/snow-report#mountain-cams

There was also snow at the top of fitz chair, 950m.

I"m sure you can get to the top, it will be cold, maybe mucky unless it stays frozen and you'll have to do even more route finding then usually to get to the top of LOTS.

Better to do LOTS as an out and back, but there will be snow there too.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Oct. 9, 2016, 8:18 p.m.

Request from the Lord of the Squirrels builder;

Dan Raymond
let sleeping squirrels lie.
Unlike · Reply · 8 · 3 hrs

come back next year!

And,

Re Sproat
http://www.worca.com/trail-work-updates-sept-25-29-2016/
" It looks like the ground got saturated and with daytime highs in the single digits, the trail just might not get dry again this season. We upgraded most of the alpine draw crossings with countless buckets of rocks and will return again to tackle more.
It always helps to let a winter compact and cement the trails tread (you’ll notice conditions change when you reach the 2015 and 2014 build zones) so you can expect the trail to CLOSE when the autumn rains begin to fall… In the mean time, please enjoy the ride however:
Stay on the trail (it is easier to wash your bike than to repair a trail)
Stay in control (saturated soil is slippery)
Stay at home (or ride wet weather proven trails at lower elevation)
Consider these options: Lost lake, Riverside, Lower Sproatt, Danimal, A Rockwork Orange, Kill me Thrill me
Or the recently upgraded “swamp thing” on Comfortably Numb (Secret Trail North)
See you on the trails!"

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Oct. 9, 2016, 9:37 p.m.

Sounds like I missed it. Something to look forward to for next season!

Oct. 11, 2016, 11:37 p.m.

Nice frozen puddles at the top of Micro Climate this afternoon, few mud holes after that. Otherwise pretty sweet.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Oct. 12, 2016, 7:08 a.m.

Sounds like I missed it. Something to look forward to for next season!

a nice winters compaction will be good for the sub/alpine sections anyway…it'll be worth the wait!

given the snow and wet weather incoming, we'd appreciate if people just stayed to the tree line portions…not that the snow makes it very accessible anyway in the alpine!

Oct. 28, 2016, 10:20 a.m.

Rode Howler the other day. Was in great condition. Haven't seen much rain since then so would assume still running good. No puddles or standing water anywhere

Oct. 28, 2016, 1:13 p.m.

Been riding most every morning before work and constantly amazed how well Whistler trails drain and flow. Especially if you are picking firmer trails or trails with lots of rock. Industrial Disease has been a real calling card to me lately given the amount of rideable rock even when wet and trail conditions similar to that of Howler. Same with 3 Birds and others in that area.

Loving fall riding here and not missing the true mud of the Lower Mainland.

Oct. 28, 2016, 7:24 p.m.

Same here but I'm sticking to the hi trails, Highside etc or Ridge Trail behind loggers lake. Or a cross ride on Riverside, LSD, Farside. Gotta get the dogs out anyway, might as well ride.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 28, 2016, 8:16 p.m.

Same here but I'm sticking to the hi trails, Highside etc or Ridge Trail behind loggers lake. Or a cross ride on Riverside, LSD, Farside. Gotta get the dogs out anyway, might as well ride.

stay high stay dry? lol