Whistler trails (not WBP)

Aug. 28, 2016, 7:32 p.m.

Microclimate, in my mind, epitomizes the dysfunctional relationship between mountain bikes and social media, it just got ravaged by the masses once it became known.

Not only biking, but any off road travel….take a look at the new found traffic at Quarry Rock in Deep Cove or Joffre Lakes. I blame the yoga mat-vegan-bloggers and their quest for likes and followers with their iPhone brag-photos for the assault.

Aug. 29, 2016, 11:53 a.m.

How's the difficulty of Working Class compared to Pura Vida? Trailforks says it's an easier double black, just wondering if there are any big committing moves on it. Would be nice to check out something new, we are fine on Pura Vida skill wise.

We didn't end up doing the TOTW/Khyber/Kashmir/Kush lap during Crankworx so we are hitting it up this weekend. Looking to get a in quick pedal loop before lunch/TOTW so was thinking of checking out Working Class or Pura Vida to Danimal.

Aug. 29, 2016, 12:17 p.m.

How's the difficulty of Working Class compared to Pura Vida? Trailforks says it's an easier double black, just wondering if there are any big committing moves on it. Would be nice to check out something new, we are fine on Pura Vida skill wise.

We didn't end up doing the TOTW/Khyber/Kashmir/Kush lap during Crankworx so we are hitting it up this weekend. Looking to get a in quick pedal loop before lunch/TOTW so was thinking of checking out Working Class or Pura Vida to Danimal.

I'd rank it about the same as Pura Vida. I went down it on Saturday when it was super dry and dusty and there are a couple loose chutes that were pretty dicey. You'll find similar ones on Pura Vida, but WC's feel a little steeper and longer. They'd be more controllable now that it's had some rain.
Rode up the new WORCA Alpine descent, which is about halfway between Working Class and Pura Vida (not sure of the official name), for a while before turning around and descending. It's more blue than black, but very nice work. That will be a nice ride when it's all connected.

Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever.

Aug. 29, 2016, 12:38 p.m.

I'd rank it about the same as Pura Vida. I went down it on Saturday when it was super dry and dusty and there are a couple loose chutes that were pretty dicey. You'll find similar ones on Pura Vida, but WC's feel a little steeper and longer. They'd be more controllable now that it's had some rain.
Rode up the new WORCA Alpine descent, which is about halfway between Working Class and Pura Vida (not sure of the official name), for a while before turning around and descending. It's more blue than black, but very nice work. That will be a nice ride when it's all connected.

I would say WC has more of an old skool tech vibe, with some slightly more committing slow entry rock moves, than PV which is faster and flowier.
Lord of the Squirrels is descent from the alpine.

Aug. 30, 2016, 10:05 a.m.

Thanks, nortonwhis. I wondered if that might be LOTS. Where will the actual ascent for that be, and does anyone have an ETA on opening?
On an unrelated note, do you go by nortonwhis because you have a Norton in Whistler? :)

Aug. 31, 2016, 10:11 p.m.

raked out high side tonight….didn't need a whole lot, the rain is going to tack things up nicely. Pretty pumped on how it's held up to a really dry august!

Aug. 31, 2016, 10:43 p.m.

raked out high side tonight….didn't need a whole lot, the rain is going to tack things up nicely. Pretty pumped on how it's held up to a really dry august!

Ready for the Toonie! Will come with the goal of retaining the air in my tire this time! Second Toonie's the charm. Not the ideal course for a slack 160mm bike, but you gotta' use what you got.

Sept. 3, 2016, 9:41 a.m.

That Toonie was a hell of a workout. Never rode LSD before, but good trail for riding in the wet in the dusk. Great re-rake on Hi-Hi and Highside. Passed Remi on a climb and was pretty stressed about having him bomb up behind me on Highside, but I guess I had enough time on him. I can officially say I beat Remi. My life is complete.

Sept. 5, 2016, 9:07 p.m.

Tourist here, rode the TOTW-Khyber-MoT-Kadhmir-Kush lap today. Thinking i was still looking for Kush after all that (smashed my phone yesterday, so no trailforks), so I headed left (bad memory) and picked up a trail with a Nastysharp rock beginning, but the rest of the trail was a blast and fairly fresh. Any idea what trail this was? Was totally killer. Would ride again.

Sept. 6, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

Tourist here, rode the TOTW-Khyber-MoT-Kadhmir-Kush lap today. Thinking i was still looking for Kush after all that (smashed my phone yesterday, so no trailforks), so I headed left (bad memory) and picked up a trail with a Nastysharp rock beginning, but the rest of the trail was a blast and fairly fresh. Any idea what trail this was? Was totally killer. Would ride again.

Where did you turn left? After you rode Kashmir, or after you rode Kush? And were you riding a gravel road for a while before getting to the trailhead?

Sept. 6, 2016, 3:29 p.m.

How were conditions? Pretty dry? This was our plan on Sunday but after one of our crew crashed on our warm-up lap and sprained his ankle badly we had to change plans.

Working Class was probably a bit aggressive as a warm-up lap, especially as a first Whistler lap ever for the guy who crashed. Oops. Awesome trail though. We rode Beaver Pass after as we were meeting down at the sailing club, that trail has some fun bits on it which I didn't expect.

After lunch we did Tunnel Vision, Duncan's and AM/PM (first time over there as well). We probably should have started our day here as these were a bit faster/flowier whatever you want to call it. Duncan's is just awesome, what a great trail, and conditions were perfect. Thank you WORCA and builders.

I need to make it a point to get out of the bike park more often.

Sept. 7, 2016, 10:17 a.m.

well, this morning's ride was about the most brown pow velcro-like bliss I've ever had on IBT. That's all.

Sept. 9, 2016, 11:13 a.m.

Toonie race last night was fantastic. So many good people on the trail. Finished with a front flat, but got that off the second jump on the home stretch, so just rode it out. Nice work WORCA and I look forward to next season right from the start.

This morning hit Heavy Flow/Tunnel/Big Timber before work. Some nice cleaning up and re-routing on Heavy Flow (at least from the last time I rode it). The new finish to HF/Tunnel is really coming along. Are there official Trail Days on that or is there a posted time that WORCA will be working on it to help out? That's pretty easy access from home to pop by and lend a hand in the mornings. Will be great when done.

Big Timber seems to be the only non bike-park stage of the NAET. Looked at the rest of the route online. A bit confusing, but it seems like they are trying to take the enduro out of enduro as even the majority of the transitions are bike-park and downhill. I'd be betting on pulling a bigger bike through that event as climbing is nominal.

Sept. 9, 2016, 8:01 p.m.

The new finish to HF/Tunnel is really coming along. Are there official Trail Days on that or is there a posted time that WORCA will be working on it to help out? That's pretty easy access from home to pop by and lend a hand in the mornings. Will be great when done.

it's been a bit of a co-lab from a few different angles. BC Bike Race chipped in some money, as did WB with their paid guy, and we've had a couple of WORCA trail nights on it. I'm super excited about it, I walked that line a few times last summer when they were doing the thinning and knew it would be such an improvement over the old line…pretty stoked on it! right now it's just a couple of the paid guys working on it, although I'm not sure if it's regular right now or just occasional. A friendly hand to carry a few buckets is always appreciated though!

Sept. 10, 2016, 10:12 a.m.

also forgot to mention that the next part of the tunnel vision project after the descending line is complete will be to add a few new sections on the old line so we can transition it to more of a climbing route to access cheakamus…there's an old skid road between TV and IBT that we should be able to build too, then you'll basically climb TV, peel off and traverse over to the top of IBT. That'll likely be a next year project though at this point