Whistler trails (not WBP)

Aug. 16, 2016, 2:40 p.m.

Microclimate, in my mind, epitomizes the dysfunctional relationship between mountain bikes and social media, it just got ravaged by the masses once it became known.

Aug. 16, 2016, 11:15 p.m.

Microclimate, in my mind, epitomizes the dysfunctional relationship between mountain bikes and social media, it just got ravaged by the masses once it became known.

I mean they ran it in the EWS , not sure what else you could expect , I rode that pigs on a wing trail today to check it out cause it was one of the stages and it's just beat to shit moon dust lol

Aug. 17, 2016, 7:38 a.m.

I mean they ran it in the EWS , not sure what else you could expect , I rode that pigs on a wing trail today to check it out cause it was one of the stages and it's just beat to shit moon dust lol

so because they used it in a race people should just say "fuck it" and thrash the shit out of it in really wet conditions? that's a shitty attitude. I've already talked to the builder of Pigs and he's just going to do a bit of work re-routing the chute and he's actually fine with how the line burned in. I've been riding that trail for nearly 6 years and it actually held up really well considering how dry it is and how many riders it saw last week.

Aug. 17, 2016, 9:03 a.m.

This video shows how gnarly that chute on Pigs on the Wing is: https://www.facebook.com/MikeGambleMedia/videos/1160729093950516/

Some of the world's best struggled.

Aug. 17, 2016, 9:18 a.m.

how about a stage down Trespasser next year?

:canada:

Aug. 17, 2016, 10:47 a.m.

Exactly what I am getting at. The transition from spring 2014, a ribbon of dirt through the woods to a EWS stage latter that summer is nuts. I've never seen a trail subject to so much change so quickly.

Aug. 20, 2016, 10 p.m.

Exactly what I am getting at. The transition from spring 2014, a ribbon of dirt through the woods to a EWS stage latter that summer is nuts. I've never seen a trail subject to so much change so quickly.

That's my point , it got pounded in practice by like 250 people , pounded On Race day and subsequently pounded by regulars who wanted to check it out . I didn't say it's good or bad I just said what do you expect with such exposure .

Aug. 20, 2016, 11:02 p.m.

Speaking of exposure, I just noticed Working Class (finally) appeared on Trailforks this week…

Aug. 21, 2016, 7:50 a.m.

That's my point , it got pounded in practice by like 250 people , pounded On Race day and subsequently pounded by regulars who wanted to check it out . I didn't say it's good or bad I just said what do you expect with such exposure .

here's the thing about MC, it didn't get pounded by the EWS, it got pounded by the general riding public in the 3 months before the race. I saw it pretty first hand as I rode it in the previous fall and early season before word got out, by far the most damage to that trail was in this first month it was open and by far the most damage to that trail has been done by the not racing public. Everyone always wants to blame events for the state of trails, but it's just everyday riding by the average person that does most of the damage.

Aug. 21, 2016, 1:13 p.m.

here's the thing about MC, it didn't get pounded by the EWS, it got pounded by the general riding public in the 3 months before the race. I saw it pretty first hand as I rode it in the previous fall and early season before word got out, by far the most damage to that trail was in this first month it was open and by far the most damage to that trail has been done by the not racing public. Everyone always wants to blame events for the state of trails, but it's just everyday riding by the average person that does most of the damage.

Its major problem is that its so fun for so many people. Most people in the valley who have biked for more than a year can ride it (with varying degrees of skill), but yet its still amazingly fun for even the most experienced riders. I rode it Friday for, according to strava, the 17th time and still had a shit eating grin on my face when i finished. (feel like that number should be more like 30).

Aug. 21, 2016, 1:32 p.m.

that climb up though ! F

haha

Aug. 23, 2016, 11:17 a.m.

Just got back from a long holiday. Anyone know if A Cut Above is open yet?

Aug. 25, 2016, 10:41 a.m.

I was wondering that the other day as i battled up scotia creek.

Rode up Lord of the Squirrels to nearly to the lake on Tuesday. Brutal climb, but hell of a descent, its awesome to see that its nearly complete. If you head up take the builders some beers or any kind of booze. You'll be a hero!

Battled up to middle of nowhere via the upper babylon climb yesterday as well. Nowhere near as steep as I expected, but still a grind in the heat for sure.

Pretty stoked to have back to back 1000m descents in the valley on completely different style of trails, on completely different mountains, without the use of chairlifts.

Is there a way to access Khyber Pass via pedalling without pissing off the mountain?

Aug. 25, 2016, 6:14 p.m.

Trailforks says end of 2016. I did hear that the climbing trail to LOTS is pretty good except for one section.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 28, 2016, 12:45 p.m.

Finally did my first Toonie. I'll be back. That was a right-proper track and haven't ridden Billy's and Binty's before. Really great shape despite the heat and dust. I was having a blast and fortunately running close enough to the front that I hit the DH with fast riders that knew the trail to follow. But flatted off one of the rock drops and had to run it down to the 'early exit' where I had enough room to change the tube and finish the course. $2 well spent!