Whistler trails (not WBP)

Aug. 7, 2016, 12:48 p.m.

Came down totw, The Khyber Pass, Middle of Nowhere, Kashmir, Kush, Big Timber on friday. Wow, what a descent! KP is an awesome trail, highlight of my whistler week. MoN has some cool bits, great views of potential tree skiing lines! Kashmir is very dry, it would be way harder in the wet, so many roots! Cool trail, like an xc In Deep. Kush seems to be slammed by bike park traffic, fall line sliding. Uploading from creekside was great because we got to warm up on FT, Little Alder, Too Tight on the way to mid station. The $34 TOTW express ticket was money well spent!

We did this that run yesterday as well! They're all running really well. I don't think Kush has gotten much worse since last year, its more people riding it in the wet then bike park traffic I think.

The fall line sections will have to get rerouted if its going to get much more traffic though for sure.

Some pics of our ride:
http://www.leelau.net/sharonandlee/whistlers-alpine-is-ready-to-go-top-of-the-world-to-valley-trails-2016/

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Aug. 8, 2016, 11:54 a.m.

Came down totw, The Khyber Pass, Middle of Nowhere, Kashmir, Kush, Big Timber on friday. Wow, what a descent! KP is an awesome trail, highlight of my whistler week. MoN has some cool bits, great views of potential tree skiing lines! Kashmir is very dry, it would be way harder in the wet, so many roots! Cool trail, like an xc In Deep. Kush seems to be slammed by bike park traffic, fall line sliding. Uploading from creekside was great because we got to warm up on FT, Little Alder, Too Tight on the way to mid station. The $34 TOTW express ticket was money well spent!

Interesting, didn't know you could do a TOTW ticket from Creekside. Might have to try that descent one day during our Crankworx trip to beat the crowds, after EWS I guess.

How's the difficulty of Khyber/MON/Kashmir/Kush? Single black in the park no problem for our group as well as easy double blacks like BC's and Schleyer. In Deep is probably the limit of our skill though. We would be on trail bikes prepared with tools/food/gear etc.

Aug. 8, 2016, 12:06 p.m.

Interesting, didn't know you could do a TOTW ticket from Creekside. Might have to try that descent one day during our Crankworx trip to beat the crowds, after EWS I guess.

How's the difficulty of Khyber/MON/Kashmir/Kush? Single black in the park no problem for our group as well as easy double blacks like BC's and Schleyer. In Deep is probably the limit of our skill though. We would be on trail bikes prepared with tools/food/gear etc.

creekside access is the best, screw the village! sounds like you should be fine on the Peak to Creek lap, it's tech and long. While it's definitely not singularly harder than the park trails, it's that there really is no break, it's all tech all the time really. I've done it no stopping, just steady not pinned, before and it was nearly an hour an a half back to creekside. budget 2-3 for a bigger group and incidentals…photos, food, mechanicals, etc

Aug. 8, 2016, 4:06 p.m.

I think it's worth noting that this Khyber-etc lap is not one to do in the wet

Aug. 8, 2016, 4:42 p.m.

Kashmir and (to a lesser degree) Kush are rooty and steep. I believe they're both just black diamonds and not double black, but I've always found them more challenging than say, Hey Bud. Everyone has their nemesis trail, I guess. It's a great ride down from the top, though.

Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever.

Aug. 9, 2016, 10:35 a.m.

Sounds like similar skill level to my wife. She walked the occasional bit on Khybers and a number of spots on Kashmir but gave in and started riding the steeper root lines later in the trail as it is pretty relentless and she still had fun. Kush struck me as more of a double black line. I had read on the app that it was easier than kashmir but seemed much steeper. short though. If we do the same run (which she is game to do) we may skip kush and pick a different way out from there. Big Timber was ok but I would just as soon finish on BCs trail. I would NOT ride kashmir in the wet!
The TOTW Express ticket gives you two scans, if you go over that it uses a day of your pass. I scanned at creekside and at peak chair. They weren't sure what would happen if we scanned at the village gondola so I just walked around the scanner at mid station to be sure. (they said they would fix it on my pass after if it used one of my days though) You might be able to get away with going all the way to the village first (although the peak to creek was exhausting enough as it was!)
Here is a nice rock roll vid on kashmir https://www.instagram.com/p/BIv4-44g4r6/

Aug. 9, 2016, 10:49 a.m.

Thanks guys, I think we will give it a shot (if it's sunny) and give ourselves 3+ hours in case there is any walking sections or mechanicals. Maybe Sunday after Joyride is over followed by beers at Dustys to let the traffic dissipate.

Aug. 9, 2016, 10:53 a.m.

Sounds like similar skill level to my wife. She walked the occasional bit on Khybers and a number of spots on Kashmir but gave in and started riding the steeper root lines later in the trail as it is pretty relentless and she still had fun. Kush struck me as more of a double black line. I had read on the app that it was easier than kashmir but seemed much steeper. short though. If we do the same run (which she is game to do) we may skip kush and pick a different way out from there. Big Timber was ok but I would just as soon finish on BCs trail. I would NOT ride kashmir in the wet!
The TOTW Express ticket gives you two scans, if you go over that it uses a day of your pass. I scanned at creekside and at peak chair. They weren't sure what would happen if we scanned at the village gondola so I just walked around the scanner at mid station to be sure. (they said they would fix it on my pass after if it used one of my days though) You might be able to get away with going all the way to the village first (although the peak to creek was exhausting enough as it was!)
Here is a nice rock roll vid on kashmir https://www.instagram.com/p/BIv4-44g4r6/

Good info here, guessing we will walk a few sections and I am OK with that. Full faces will be worn as well as I anticipate there will be some going off track :). I love BC's and want to try it on the trail bike (DH is overkill and awkward) so we will exit that way.

Interesting to know how they set up the scans. I've found WB customer service is pretty good about fixing goof-ups when they happen. If one wanted to be cheeky they could probably get a free Garbo lap in as that scanner seems to be broken half the time and the liftys don't care if you just walk by it.

Aug. 9, 2016, 11:44 a.m.

with my twilight pass, they've always given me a separate card for TOTW laps, it def scans at creekside and village gondy and peak.

Aug. 9, 2016, 1:41 p.m.

With a TOTW pass I think WB has it setup as 1 scan at each lift. I've at least loaded Creek, got low and missed Mid, reloaded in the Village and went up Peak with green lights all around.

I'm going to test my theory by adding Garbo to the mix in order of Creek, Garbo, Village [HTML_REMOVED] Peak shortly.

Having lapped nearly all variations in Creek this year, IMO the upper section of Babylon is great, but it gets exponentially suckier the further you get from the repel. Kashmir is the tits but a entirely new beast now that it is seeing more regular traffic, same with Boyds, Kush has been trench warfare for sometime now. Busted my RDS cherry last weekend and it was fun in a relentless kind of way. Even got sucked down some of the OG fall line options on a trail bike with some success.

With Crankworx here time to refocus efforts to the rest of the valley to avoid the masses.

Aug. 11, 2016, 7:39 a.m.

Anyone know if Crazy Train will be open to the public tomorrow afternoon or is it enduro only for the next couple days?

Aug. 11, 2016, 9:44 a.m.

Anyone know if Crazy Train will be open to the public tomorrow afternoon or is it enduro only for the next couple days?

It's roped off, friends rode it yesterday and ripped the new lines that the ews riders were walking/scoping. In other words, it's open to the public.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Aug. 15, 2016, 4:13 p.m.

Is Microclimate significantly easier than Crazy Train/Hey Bud? Haven't ridden any of them, was thinking of giving MC a go on Thursday morning before hitting the park.

Aug. 15, 2016, 4:25 p.m.

It's easiest of the three yeah

Aug. 15, 2016, 4:31 p.m.

It's easiest of the three yeah

but significantly more eroded thanks to people over riding it this spring when the snow was still melting out.