Whistler trails (not WBP)

June 27, 2016, 10:09 a.m.

Quick ones outside of lost lake; cut yer bars, danimal North (new hot dog alley trail makes a good quick loop) trash +just another trail in cheakamus.

Longer; kill me thrill me has a handful of hard parts but the majority of the trail is fine. Yummy nummy to comfortably numb backwards to Jeff's trail is a long one but cuts out the harder descent to lost lake and most of the trail past the Golden door part is downhill

June 27, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

in Cheakamus area you could ride up the road through kadenwood out of Creekside and then go do See Colours and Puke/High Side/HiHi, then climb back up Highline and do Business Time to AMPM, or conversely ride up the road past Business Time and do Tunnel Vision back to Creekside. That's probably a 2+hr loop for an intermediate rider. Those Cheakamus area trails trend more to the intermediate as opposed to harder technical.

Stonebridge is good for some more intermediate loops, lower sproatt/3 birds, danimals, 99er are all good and you can do the Danimals either way to make for some interesting loops.

I love the Yummy Numby, Comf Numb, Jeff's ride, a bit of a climb and then just nice rolling singletrack mostly down back to Jeff's and the Sea to Sky trail.

June 27, 2016, 11:29 a.m.

SCAP-High Side- HiHi combo definitely, but Business Time/AMPM might be a bit much if you're looking for more blue trails than black diamonds imho. Maybe ride past and try Tunnel Vision or even Heavy Flow to finish that loop. Heavy Flow is a little steep in places, but a good progression trail. It's short, so you won't be on it long.

Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever.

June 27, 2016, 11:43 a.m.

Heavy Flow is narrower, steeper, and more technical, but yes, short…AMPM is a bit steep, but all the rocks slabs pretty much have go arounds and the trail itself is less technical overall…

June 27, 2016, 12:35 p.m.

in Cheakamus area you could ride up the road through kadenwood out of Creekside and then go do See Colours and Puke/High Side/HiHi, then climb back up Highline and do Business Time to AMPM, or conversely ride up the road past Business Time and do Tunnel Vision back to Creekside. That's probably a 2+hr loop for an intermediate rider. Those Cheakamus area trails trend more to the intermediate as opposed to harder technical.

Coming out of Spring Creek, I usually ride up east side main or farside to access HighSide/Business Time - never made it up to SCAP.

Does the kadenwood access road take about the same amount of time to climb to the top of SCAP as i'm used to to get up to the top of High Side? Would be nice to add another trail to this run.

What kind of shape is Lower Babylon in?

Thanks

June 27, 2016, 12:48 p.m.

Coming out of Spring Creek, I usually ride up east side main or farside to access HighSide/Business Time - never made it up to SCAP.

Does the kadenwood access road take about the same amount of time to climb to the top of SCAP as i'm used to to get up to the top of High Side? Would be nice to add another trail to this run.

What kind of shape is Lower Babylon in?

Thanks

I sometimes ride up lower babylon via the microwave road, from the road to top of SCAP is 20 minutes for me of steady pedalling. Via Kadenwood from Bayshores is probably 45+ to top of SCAP. I think generally whether you go via bayshores or microwave road, they're about the same amount of time, but overall the Kadenwood route is probably slightly less hard. Lower babylon is it's typical old skid road self…not sure why anyone goes down it, much better to use to get to SCAP!

June 27, 2016, 9:09 p.m.

Also, we're staying at Aava for the first time which I understand has a bike valet service-any idea on what is expected in regards to tipping for this?

Also you'll make that valets day for sure!

June 27, 2016, 10:03 p.m.

Appreciate the ideas. I think we'll probably spend one day cruising Lost Lake and then try a loop incorporating SCAP another day and from there decide whether we want to try to tackle the Yummy/CN/Jeff's loop or hit the Stonebridge/Danimal area. Looking forward to it!

June 27, 2016, 10:50 p.m.

Appreciate the ideas. I think we'll probably spend one day cruising Lost Lake and then try a loop incorporating SCAP another day and from there decide whether we want to try to tackle the Yummy/CN/Jeff's loop or hit the Stonebridge/Danimal area. Looking forward to it!

If you go yummy cn Jeff's, there's a shortcut for the 'golden door loop', the windy loop you'll see on trail forks. I would recommend taking the shortcut, the loop would make the ride way longer and it's a lot more technical than the rest of that route. If you do want to try the loop (does have a couple nice lookout ms) , do it the traditional way (north to South, counter clockwise) by taking the shortcut part then looping back around. Wouldn't be fun in reverse!

June 28, 2016, 10:50 a.m.

Are the no-flow Emerald trails no longer accessible from Emerald? Do you have to access them now from Rainbow or Alpine? Or can you sneakily go up the old water tower route?

June 28, 2016, 12:35 p.m.

I personally think Business Time/AMPM/Jeff's are a big leap from the Zappa trails.

The municipality's suggestion actually looks pretty good for what you're looking for:
https://www.whistler.ca/sites/default/files/whistler_valley_singletrack_map.pdf

I know River is having lots of work done on it (trail night Wednesday too), but you can ride around whatever you're not comfortable with. Would be a good loop starting from trails you know and ending at the lake, then pedal back on the valley trail back to the village.

Danimal might be the easiest single black in the valley so I second that suggestion and you could add that after the lake (by taking Hot Dog Alley to Scotia Creek Climb). Tunnel Vision would be a good next step to try.

June 28, 2016, 12:46 p.m.

RRTI trail night is actually this evening, 5:30 at the parking lot

June 28, 2016, 4:42 p.m.

Are the no-flow Emerald trails no longer accessible from Emerald? Do you have to access them now from Rainbow or Alpine? Or can you sneakily go up the old water tower route?

I don't think you can get up the old access road. I did a couple of loops out there last week and thought the same thing, that I'd be able to sneak up the old access road. But, no. There is full on construction happening and a gate at the top end of the road above the property.

I accessed the Emerald zone trails by pushing up the crazy steep trail at the intersection of Emerald Drive and Deer Horn Place. The push up that trail puts you at the start of Section 102. Go right to access Shit Happens and everything else in the zone.

I bumped into another rider while riding that day and had a chat about the access and she was saying that the alternate access that I used is also on private property. Not sure how true that is. But if it is true that sucks even more for accessing that zone if it's decided that needs to be closed off.

June 28, 2016, 4:47 p.m.

I can't hotlink to it.. but if you go to Emerald you'll see there are two monster lots. One is five times more monster than the other.

One of the monster lots recently sold… I struggle to see how RMOW can get out of this one.

http://maps.whistler.ca/WhistlerMap/Default.aspx

June 28, 2016, 5:17 p.m.

it's not the RMOW's fault, the province is the one that signed off on sub-division without access to lands beyond multiples of decades ago, well before Whistler was a Resort Municipality. The other big lot has been purchased, but the owner has not indicated he has problems with the trails up there for the time being and they're actually developing the part of the lot on the lake side of the highway. Not a ton of ops for getting access up to the upper portion due to terrain. Word is that the land owner by the reservoir just wanted access closed down during construction for safety/liability reasons and was going to open it back up after, but then people started being assholes to him and the workers, so all bets are off on that.