Whistler trails (not WBP)

May 3, 2016, 9:56 a.m.

cute kitty!

May 3, 2016, 12:22 p.m.

pretty stoked im only allowed to road ride right now. I would say 75% of my riding is on blackcomb

May 3, 2016, 4:32 p.m.

pretty stoked im only allowed to road ride right now. I would say 75% of my riding is on blackcomb

they aren't only on Blackcomb…buddy came across a dear kill on the way up to business time a couple springs ago, and I'm sure I've been watched while building in cheakamus too. A few weeks ago I went up to highside when there was still a fair amount of snow on the road, the next day I was up there agian and followed cougar tracks up the road. A wolf was spotted in the south end by spring creek a few weeks ago and there are known grizzly in the very near vicinity of the westside/sproatt/rainbow area.

May 8, 2016, 11:06 p.m.

Upper Howler snow free and running well. Ride up still some patches of snow that must be walked through and one fallen tree.

Trash running well. Some little fix-ups could be a project for me and the boy to improve flow. the return route via JABT is great. What's the left options along the cliffs called?

His first run on Duncan's and he is looking forward to figuring out the flow.

May 14, 2016, 1:09 p.m.

Rode Duncan's for the first time yesterday , bring your XC game on that if you want to clean it haha .

That lovemeatender trail is awesome ! Props to whoever built that ! I want to find more stuff like that around whistler .

I assume it's all mostly off trail forks maps

May 16, 2016, 12:37 p.m.

"New" continuation of North Secret Climb to avoid the 18% grade is really a beauty. The builder has a lovely bridge under construction. Looks like it could be done shortly. What a great way to get up to Out There.

Out There also in great shape. The boy got all but one of the slabs… cool to see. We then looped back up the road and the new upper climb segment and hit Young Lust. That trail has been ridden hard, but still holds up well and feels positively ripping fast in comparison to Out There with its tech nature.

Note - the Whistler Trail Maps App (the paid version, not TrailForks) has been recently updated.

May 17, 2016, 2:10 p.m.

"New" continuation of North Secret Climb to avoid the 18% grade is really a beauty. The builder has a lovely bridge under construction. Looks like it could be done shortly. What a great way to get up to Out There.

Is this a new section of North Secret that avoids the gravel road climb to the entrance? (Am I allowed to ask that here?) Is it easy to spot?

Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever.

May 17, 2016, 3:15 p.m.

Is this a new section of North Secret that avoids the gravel road climb to the entrance? (Am I allowed to ask that here?) Is it easy to spot?

Yeah… it's very obvious and takes out the 18% grade main road. Once the road turns left, you still have to ride/hike that last maybe 100m steep stretch.

The trail is being too well constructed and too obvious to not be legit. It's the piece that Comfortably Numb really needed.

May 18, 2016, 11:12 a.m.

Definitely a legit trail. WORCA had a trail night there last week and the Waldorf school kids spent the whole week working on it. Weekly trail nights are running until July if you can make it: http://www.worca.com/trail-days/

May 18, 2016, 9:40 p.m.

Gonna' take part in the trail days starting in July! Stoked to do that. The boy will come drag a rake as well.

Was up today and did a morning lap on Gargamel's and North Section 102. For some reason, just never found the right timing to hit Gargamel's or the right riding partner. It still wasn't going to come together so I just went solo, despite reading all the blah blah online about going with a partner.

Amazing trail. The ride up is not anywhere near as gruelling as you would be led to believe, especially with tacky rains and less zip-line Razor action this time of year. I enjoyed it, and it actually eases off for the later half.

That trail though… truly as gnarly as advertised, but in between the 3 or 4 genuine sphincter pucker sections are amazing long fast sections of loam, mini-drop-off's, and awesome steep chutes. At the end of the day, I walked 4 sections, and I think I'd go for 2 of them if with a partner and if I had brought armour and a bigger helmet. The other 2… not likely in my advanced state of decay. However, definitely not a trail to bring a DH bike on. The Transition Patrol felt to be an appropriate tool. 4 places where trees were down requiring dismounts. Easy fixes for someone with the right tools - 3 could be done with a proper folding saw or bow saw.

North Section 102 was awesome. Fast, cool slabs, and little punchy pieces of excitement. All clear for spring.

Parking at the bottom of Cougar Mtn/16 Mile Creek road, and finishing back at the car, was 1:40 - riding the trail blind, pulling out the trail app to check way marks on the way up (lots of spurs), taking photos, and answering a couple work emails. I'm no super-hero, so I could see it being a quick 1:20-1:30 loop once you've got it more dialled and maybe could crack an hour for old people like me if absolutely pinning it. On that note, Melamed has done the Gargamel Beast descent (there is an additional single track climb at the top before the DH starts) in under 10 minutes. Mind Blowing really.

May 19, 2016, 9:51 a.m.

"…and answering a couple work emails."
Gotta love a place where you can ride a trail like Gargamel while still get work done.

Definitely a legit trail. WORCA had a trail night there last week and the Waldorf school kids spent the whole week working on it. Weekly trail nights are running until July if you can make it: http://www.worca.com/trail-days/

Thanks for the schedule. I'll be out. Noticed May 31 meeting place is Cheap Thrills. Is that top, bottom or still TBD?

Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever.

May 19, 2016, 9:54 a.m.

Thanks for the schedule. I'll be out. Noticed May 31 meeting place is Cheap Thrills. Is that top, bottom or still TBD?

not 100% sure, but probably from the bottom. Next Tuesday's trail night will be lower tunnel vision, we're going to put in a less severe turn to uphill roots where it enters the lower part off the road bed, do a couple re-routes to improve the line, get rid of the perpetual wet section, and re-build some berms

May 19, 2016, 10:42 a.m.

The ride up is not anywhere near as gruelling as you would be led to believe, especially with tacky rains and less zip-line Razor action this time of year. I enjoyed it, and it actually eases off for the later half.

There was road upgrades done 2? 3? 4? years ago that make that climb much more manageable.

May 22, 2016, 9:49 p.m.

Climb to Upper Howler clear of all snow - wasn't two weeks ago. One pretty large tree down on the climb.

Descent is in beautiful condition. Lots of work being done on the hiking trail.

The new exit to Lower Howler is truly an aesthetic line choice. Gorgeous.

Messed around on some the Cheakamus trails as well tweaking the boys' new-to-him all mountain bike. Just Another Bike Trail (and it's variants) offer lots of great features, followed by Trash (flowier than I remembered). Then up Riverside to Logger's Lake to see if the rope swing was there and down Ridge (don't know why it's a black in the trail guides). All in great condition.

May 24, 2016, 8:36 a.m.

5:30 tonight, lower tunnel vision trail night….have a few tweaks and re-routes planned, and a general buffing and bermification, hope you can make it out