Whistler trails 2021 (Not WBP)

Aug. 30, 2021, 2:19 p.m.

Howler is a great wet weather trail, I'd say actually better in the wet than dry personally!

that griz on Sproatt is a beast! from the looks of it... https://www.trailforks.com/report/1792071/

Aug. 31, 2021, 11 a.m.

Jesus fuck!

The head looks to be the size of a full black bear

Aug. 31, 2021, 2:43 p.m.

Anyone know where the pic was taken? Last year there was one spotted out by Rainbow Lake which caused the closure. Wonder is more and more population coming into the trail zone and also into town. 

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/must-reads/whistlers-valley-could-see-more-grizzly-bears-3753703

Sept. 1, 2021, 12:48 p.m.

I believe that pic was taken by a ranger on Upper On The Rocks.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/on-the-rocks-97224/

Sept. 2, 2021, 8:05 a.m.

contrary to the popular narrative coming from Grizzly bear recovery people in the area, grizzly bear population has been expanding pretty consistently for the past 20 years...even with the development of the Olympic park and other recreation in the Callaghan and Whistler area. In the early 2000's I understand they had hair samples in the upper Callaghan from 2 GB's, last year it was apparently 22. Once we stopped shooting them, they started to recover, and we'll likely continue to see that recovery and subsequent spread into more populated areas I expect. We've had regular sightings in the populated areas of Squamish near the Squamish River the past few falls as well, so I think it's safe to say they are a growing population.

I think they have a pretty good protocol in place at this point to try and mitigate human-bear interactions in the Sproatt area, especially given the number of people likely not bear experienced or smart that use the trails up there.

Last edited by: FlipFantasia on Sept. 2, 2021, 8:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 2, 2021, 11:35 a.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

contrary to the popular narrative coming from Grizzly bear recovery people in the area, grizzly bear population has been expanding pretty consistently for the past 20 years...even with the development of the Olympic park and other recreation in the Callaghan and Whistler area. In the early 2000's I understand they had hair samples in the upper Callaghan from 2 GB's, last year it was apparently 22. Once we stopped shooting them, they started to recover, and we'll likely continue to see that recovery and subsequent spread into more populated areas I expect. We've had regular sightings in the populated areas of Squamish near the Squamish River the past few falls as well, so I think it's safe to say they are a growing population.

I think they have a pretty good protocol in place at this point to try and mitigate human-bear interactions in the Sproatt area, especially given the number of people likely not bear experienced or smart that use the trails up there.

Absolutely. When I first started travelling to the Chilcotins for riding, it seemed pretty rare to come across Grizzlies. In each of the last few times I've gone, I've run into at least one party who've had encounters. That's partly due to increasing human traffic in the area as well, but I think the numbers are increasing on both sides as the GB population recovers.

Sept. 2, 2021, 12:33 p.m.

Have heard the same thing anecdotally. Not sure what those grizzly recovery people are on about, shouldn't they be happy enough? Or they are just against any kind of trail use/development for humans in any area.

Report said the grizzly stood its ground, not surprisingly. Was planning on my annual LOTS on Sept 13 when a buddy is in town for a wedding but doubt it will happen. No worries, probably go ride in Pemberton instead, trails should be good with occasional rain in the forecast.

Sept. 2, 2021, 2:45 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Have heard the same thing anecdotally. Not sure what those grizzly recovery people are on about, shouldn't they be happy enough? Or they are just against any kind of trail use/development for humans in any area.

Report said the grizzly stood its ground, not surprisingly. Was planning on my annual LOTS on Sept 13 when a buddy is in town for a wedding but doubt it will happen. No worries, probably go ride in Pemberton instead, trails should be good with occasional rain in the forecast.

Same here. September is ALWAYS my go-to month for the annual LOS mission, but one look at that thing's head makes me happy to skip it this year. I've still got WBP passes to use up anyway.

Sept. 5, 2021, 4:05 p.m.

Anyone know what condition the Mackenzie FSR is in, to the first parking spot and to Middle Earth start? Haven't been up since last year.. have an SUV with city tires, last time it was fine but I think it had just been graded, definitely don't have clearance for large water bars especially with the NS rack and a low hitch.

Sept. 6, 2021, 5:36 p.m.

Anyone know what condition the Mackenzie FSR is in, to the first parking spot and to Middle Earth start? Haven't been up since last year.. have an SUV with city tires, last time it was fine but I think it had just been graded, definitely don't have clearance for large water bars especially with the NS rack and a low hitch.

The water bars are pretty savage in a couple spots. There's at least 2 I can think of between Bob and let it go that might make you think twice.

Sept. 7, 2021, 2:51 p.m.

Just speculation, but the Sproat alpine is really popular. Last time I went up I swear there were about 50 - 60 people in various groups milling about at the top of Lord of the Squirrels. I don’t think you see those sorts of numbers other places. But I did wonder about that reasoning. I mean I visit in Fernie and grizzlies are seen a fair bit right down to the residential areas and I don’t think anything gets shut down there. I mean there was a grizzly in our back yard last summer there and signs went up. That’s all. Everyone there seems to carry bear spray.

Sept. 7, 2021, 4:19 p.m.

Posted by: nickel

The water bars are pretty savage in a couple spots. There's at least 2 I can think of between Bob and let it go that might make you think twice.

Thanks dude, if we end up riding Pemberton might just pedal, or try shuttling to the first parking (from memory at Blood Sweat and Fear) to cut out a bit of grinding. No way my Volvo suv is gonna clear big water bars with my North Shore rack, the hitch mount is way too low and the bikes too long.

Oct. 25, 2021, 9:21 a.m.

I'm looking for a final ride of the season in Whistler as I'm up there for a day this week - I see the list of trails that are wet weather friendly like Comfortably Numb descent and also Howler (as mentioned above) but are any of the trails on the "yeah, they're weather proof but really greasy slabs right now, avoid" kind of list? Or are we talking the same as most of the wet weather friendly trails on the Shore?

Oct. 25, 2021, 11:44 a.m.

Comfy numb descent and howler are good, but yeah there's definitely some on that 'can hold up to the weather but hard to ride' list. 

Edit, I actually scrolled through the trailforks list and it's really good, rockwork orange would be tough in the wet, especially if you continued korova and wizards though

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Oct. 25, 2021, 11:49 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 25, 2021, 2:26 p.m.

Thanks - I was thinking about Binty's / Billy Epic as well, maybe flip a coin when I get to the top of Rick's Roost