Whistler trails 2021 (Not WBP)

July 24, 2021, 2:24 p.m.

Let's get this year's Whistler valley trails thread going :)

I've never ridden any valley trails and for my first outing my work buddy tried to murder me. Pedaled the first two and then bought a TOTW ticket to do the rest. Was quite the loop for out of shape thaaad... 

Dark crystal

Microclimate

Top of the world

Khyber

Middle of nowhere

Kashmir

Line of control 

Earth circus

July 24, 2021, 4:36 p.m.

Anyone else feel Dark Crystal isn't worth the pedal? I find it rough and not that hard, just a smash fest with nothing interesting to ride. Secret trail 1, secret trail 2, ac/dc, or yodas all feel like more worthwhile to climb. Views are great though.

Last edited by: Angu58 on July 26, 2021, 10:47 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 24, 2021, 5:51 p.m.

I've never ridden any of the other trails other than what I listed but I thought both were good trails and worth the climb. I liked the slabs on DC, a few of the big ones you could carry speed in to and air in to the back side which always makes you feel like a rock star, even when riding the trail blind.

July 24, 2021, 9:51 p.m.

Doing an unexpected trip to Whistler next week for 4 full days with family but the wife knows I’ll be riding. 

Having never ridden the valley (and the park was 7 years ago) what are the best bets for an early morning ride straight from the village for a couple hours tops? We are staying at the Westin. I love older school jank and mostly keeping my tires fo the ground.

Also what is the typical time someone takes to do LOTS? Considering doing an early morning solo ride on that but I will see.

July 25, 2021, 2:39 p.m.

Typical for LOTS is really all over the place (my fastest is about 3 and slowest around 7) but just the main 'loop' I'd say like 5 hours, add 60-90 minutes if you do the happy hour loop(would recommend if you feel up to it).

And there's lots that can be done in a couple hours from the village (you can ride LOTS from the village too). Blackcomb trails are easy because they're right by the village, dark crystal and microclimate are most popular. 

Westside has some great 'jank' and loop of something like working class-3 birds-acdc would be cool, or rockwork orange-korova milk bar-wizards burial ground

July 25, 2021, 7:22 p.m.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Definitely looking at the black comb trails for morning rides. Just booked top of the world for Sunday. 

Will keep LOTS on standby. Want to do it but I know family time may take precedent.

July 25, 2021, 7:32 p.m.

Also a yummy numby/foreplay loop is good for jank too right by the village, and more single track climbing and up and down instead instead of a fire road slog (like up to dark crystal or microclimate)

July 26, 2021, 1:37 a.m.

Posted by: Angu58

Anyone else feel Dark Crystal isn't worth the pedal? I find it rough and not that hard, just a smash fest with nothing interesting to ride. Unicorn petting zoo, marakesh, ac/dc, or yodas all feel like more worthwhile to climb. Views are great though.

Haven't ridden DC this year but the last couple it has gotten pretty rough just from traffic, idiots riding in the wet/when closed, ebikers doing multiple laps in a row etc. Feel for the builders, it's a gem, I think I first rode it in 2017 and it was so amazing then, still really enjoy it, nice variation of terrain, fun low consequences rock moves etc. Haven't ridden the others besides Yodas.. need to check out AC/DC sometime, meant to after a LOTS last summer but was shattered. What's , guessing somewhere on Whistler mtn given the name.

How's Sproatt alpine stuff riding this summer?

Last edited by: grambo on July 27, 2021, 11:24 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 26, 2021, 10:33 a.m.

DC is rough right now. They did a bunch of work in the closure earlier this spring but it just got blasted away in the first week because we had no rain. Theres a ton of fun off cambers, gaps and hucks to be found in dc. I love it. But yeah i think Hey Bud and Crazy Train both run better atm.

Alpine running good.

July 26, 2021, 5:05 p.m.

....all feel like more worthwhile to climb.

Maybe don't talk about off map trails on the internet?

Last edited by: BeesIntheTrap on July 26, 2021, 5:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 26, 2021, 5:36 p.m.

No information on where they are though. Do you think the names are enough for people to find them? I don't.

Happy to take them down though.

Last edited by: Angu58 on July 26, 2021, 5:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 27, 2021, 9:28 a.m.

Thanks mate, it's surprising how little info can be used to find a trail.

July 27, 2021, 9:28 a.m.

Thanks mate, it's surprising how little info can be used to find a trail.

July 27, 2021, 12:23 p.m.

Fair enough. There are so many ways to find them, but I've never seen the names used.

Side note - anyone ridden LOTS recently? how much snow is there?

July 27, 2021, 1:50 p.m.

Posted by: Angu58

Fair enough. There are so many ways to find them, but I've never seen the names used.

Side note - anyone ridden LOTS recently? how much snow is there?

Not much, like 2 or 3 patches