Whistler Trails 2019 (not WBP)

June 16, 2020, 10:51 a.m.

Posted by: Angu58

Posted by: grambo

No 2020 thread but thought I would ask here. What's the best way to do laps of west side trails? In the past I've parked somewhere around Stonebridge and pedaled up the road/Sirloin to the flank and then back on Danimal to the car, but for multiple laps this seems like a lot of traversing. Say I wanted to ride Pura Vida then Working Class or High Society to AC/DC, is "Leftovers" on Trailforks a steep skidder you can push up to get back to the flank?

Gonna be in town 29th-1st, if the park is open we will do a day there... was hoping to ride Dark Crystal or Microclimate on the 1st but with this Juneuary weather dunno if it will be good to go.. looks like Out There is closed for IFP work. Thinking we will check out Howler (never ridden), another west side lap Pura Vida + WC or High Society and maybe one Southside up Hihi to Hindsight/Tunnel Vision.

Any other suggestions for trail rides? What's running good these days? Prefer single black or easier double black tech but don't mind some fast flow. If the park doesn't open will probably do a Pemberton day since I still haven't ridden there and this rain should keep things nice.

You do the same route that I do on the westside, but I ride from my place. Also interested in the other route options. I rode Out There, Jeff's, Young Lust, and parts of comfortably numb recently. So good. One of the best rides I've ever done in that area. Probably going to be good for a few weeks, until it gets truly hot in late August.

I've never ridden any of CN or the trails off it, I hear it's classic Whistler XC? Not exactly what we are looking for this trip although someday I need to ride that trail. Trailforks says Out There is opening June 26 so we will check that one out on its own. Will plan on pushing up "Leftovers" instaed of circling around to Stonebridge/Flank for second lap on Westside and see how that goes as well, has to be faster I'd think.

June 17, 2020, 9:18 a.m.

Up industrial waste is a nice option up to the flank too, two way trail, couple spots are tricky up but same on Darwin's side. 

Never gone up 'left overs', its so steep, though I guess it would be a very direct push up. I've only gone down it a couple times. 

If you've never done howler you have to, one of my favourites and good in the wet too, unlike DC and micro that are a sloppy mess. 

If you haven't done heavy flow into tunnel vision it's a blast too.

June 18, 2020, 9:57 a.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

Up industrial waste is a nice option up to the flank too, two way trail, couple spots are tricky up but same on Darwin's side. 

Never gone up 'left overs', its so steep, though I guess it would be a very direct push up. I've only gone down it a couple times. 

If you've never done howler you have to, one of my favourites and good in the wet too, unlike DC and micro that are a sloppy mess. 

Oh nice didn't realize Industrial Waste was a two way, that's probably a more pleasant way than pushing straight up. Will definitely check out Howler especially if this weather continues. Doubt DC will be good for July 1, maybe MC.

Thanks!

June 20, 2020, 9:58 p.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

Was thinking some more, haven't done Heavy Flow, just Tunnel Vision (and that was before they built Hindsight) maybe we will check that out. What do people add to that to make it a longer ride? Haven't done AM/PM in years maybe that and then go up to Heavy Flow? How does Highsiide/Hihi/See Colours and Puke link up?

June 21, 2020, 3:10 p.m.

Would avoid Leftovers at all costs. Its a leftover skid road, steep, ugly, but i think it was reopened for ATV access for rescues off of LOTS. IW a much better climb but it does meander a bit if you are looking for direct and fast.

I normally ride SCAP from kadenwood, babylon etc. then you could hit highside hihi, back up for ampm then back up for tunnel vision or heavy flow. I would choose heavy flow over TV any day. Its sick.

June 23, 2020, 10:26 a.m.

Posted by: nortonwhis

Would avoid Leftovers at all costs. Its a leftover skid road, steep, ugly, but i think it was reopened for ATV access for rescues off of LOTS. IW a much better climb but it does meander a bit if you are looking for direct and fast.

I normally ride SCAP from kadenwood, babylon etc. then you could hit highside hihi, back up for ampm then back up for tunnel vision or heavy flow. I would choose heavy flow over TV any day. Its sick.

Thanks, I see how you link up those trails now. Can you park at the top of Kadenwood? Google Street View doesn't work so I'm not sure if it's a private road for those castles or not. 

We've got lots of options planned out. Alice Lake slab session on the up way Sunday, Monday a big Pemberton ride (never ridden there), Tuesday Howler in the morning then a rest followed by Out There or a west side lap, and we will do the south side loop on the way home Wednesday. We are staying on Blackcomb, but even if they opened Micro or DC on Wednesday I feel like they will be too wet to enjoy and don't want to contribute to thrashing. Leaning toward no bike park unless more news comes out.

June 23, 2020, 2:46 p.m.

No parking at the top of Kadenwood. Ride up or get dropped off.

June 24, 2020, 9:02 a.m.

If your driving or riding from home to ride SCAP I’d recommend using the microwave road and Babylon as access. Less climbing on a gravel road. Or park at the demo forest lot and ride up Farside or the East Side FSR to high line.

June 24, 2020, 11:04 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

If your driving or riding from home to ride SCAP I’d recommend using the microwave road and Babylon as access. Less climbing on a gravel road. Or park at the demo forest lot and ride up Farside or the East Side FSR to high line.

Good tips. Looking like we are doing a bike park day afterall and probably a Pemberton ride as well so Whistler trail days will be Howler and another west side lap, and maybe Golden Boner/Roam or Crazy Train since we are staying on Painted Cliff right below there. Will check out SCAP/Heavy Flow etc next time for sure.

June 27, 2020, 10:17 p.m.

Not sure if this has been posted here yet but WORCA is trying to raise money for the upper half of Chipmunk Rebellion. Flowy descent that extends LOTS to the valley floor. Given the hordes of people that ride LOTS, you'd think more than 49 people could find a couple of extra bucks.

https://www.amilia.com/store/en/whistler-off-road-cycling-association/shop/fundraising/622622

July 14, 2020, 12:32 p.m.

Posted by: Henry-Chinaski

Not sure if this has been posted here yet but WORCA is trying to raise money for the upper half of Chipmunk Rebellion. Flowy descent that extends LOTS to the valley floor. Given the hordes of people that ride LOTS, you'd think more than 49 people could find a couple of extra bucks.

https://www.amilia.com/store/en/whistler-off-road-cycling-association/shop/fundraising/622622

I wonder if sign boards with a QR code encouraging people to donate and talking about volunteer efforts would results in more people making spur of the moment donations on the trail from their smartphones? I think SORCA might have that in Squamish on the climb trails? Pretty cool a dude in Hong Kong matched up to $4k on that campaign.

Speaking of LOTS, did anyone do the 9.9km Pot of Gold/Ninja Lakes loop last fall? Trying to figure out how much effort that is going to add to a LOTS/Happy/Rush Hour ride, doesn't look like a ton of vert but it is an undulating 10km... looks like about 42km and 1800m-2000m from Function.

Edit: did the math on Trailforks, looks like +13km and 375m vertical from the top of Into the Mystic since you need to ride out With a Twist a bit to get to Pot of Gold. Feeling like that whole loop would be a massive day for me.

Last edited by: grambo on July 14, 2020, 12:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 14, 2020, 3:19 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Posted by: Henry-Chinaski

I wonder if sign boards with a QR code encouraging people to donate and talking about volunteer efforts would results in more people making spur of the moment donations on the trail from their smartphones? I think SORCA might have that in Squamish on the climb trails? Pretty cool a dude in Hong Kong matched up to $4k on that campaign.

Speaking of LOTS, did anyone do the 9.9km Pot of Gold/Ninja Lakes loop last fall? Trying to figure out how much effort that is going to add to a LOTS/Happy/Rush Hour ride, doesn't look like a ton of vert but it is an undulating 10km... looks like about 42km and 1800m-2000m from Function.

Edit: did the math on Trailforks, looks like +13km and 375m vertical from the top of Into the Mystic since you need to ride out With a Twist a bit to get to Pot of Gold. Feeling like that whole loop would be a massive day for me.

THey hit all their goals on that now.

Grambo ya i think its a pretty big day. I planned to do it but didn't bring enough food or bailed for some reason straight down LOTS. Can't remember it all, maybe had to work or something but it was longer and bigger than I had expected.

July 15, 2020, 12:52 a.m.

I'll be honest I was pretty shattered last summer after just Into the Mystic/On the Rocks/Rush Hour to the tower look-out and Last Call/LOTS/Pura Vida/Danimal South back to Function last year... but I have been putting in a ton of roadie miles during COVID-19 so my climbing fitness and stamina are much better this year. I also didn't bring enough water/food last year. Might take a shot at the big loop when it opens this summer, with an early start and more food/water. I figure worst case after the Ninja loop I could plod up On the Rocks and down LOTS.

July 27, 2020, 12:47 p.m.

Anyone know the current condition of LOTS? Trailforks seems to say it's still closed. Any ETA on an opening date and if there's still a bunch of snow up there, etc?

July 27, 2020, 1:26 p.m.

Still closed. 

This was the sign at the bottom of Mystic yesterday:

https://imgur.com/a/lo8NXlZ

Keep checking Trailforks. The latest information should always be there.