Whistler trails 2018 (not WBP)

June 22, 2018, 9:55 a.m.

Flooded still on Monday.

June 23, 2018, 10:14 a.m.

Ah, that's too bad.

Maybe we'll take a couple laps of cut yer bars instead.

July 26, 2018, 11:39 a.m.

So, a month later and my boy and I have pooched the "cut yer bars" area. Lots of exploring the area, and wow are there some steep spots. The dirt in there is terrible for building, and a lack of accessible water makes some of the areas a dusty mess. I can see why this isn't more a popular spot for riders. But hey, it's close to us and it's a fun pedal so no real complaints from me. 

I'd love to explore the north side, or even west side above Function. The problem is that I get lost in a phone booth. That's really the part that is keeping me from exploring other areas. Once I know an area, it's no problem. It's just getting to that point.

July 26, 2018, 11:49 a.m.

Posted by: hypa

So, a month later and my boy and I have pooched the "cut yer bars" area. Lots of exploring the area, and wow are there some steep spots. The dirt in there is terrible for building, and a lack of accessible water makes some of the areas a dusty mess. I can see why this isn't more a popular spot for riders. But hey, it's close to us and it's a fun pedal so no real complaints from me. 

I'd love to explore the north side, or even west side above Function. The problem is that I get lost in a phone booth. That's really the part that is keeping me from exploring other areas. Once I know an area, it's no problem. It's just getting to that point.

trailforks keeps ya on track pretty good....I haven't ridden CYB area much at all in the past few years, but then again I'm a southender and use the cheakamus area for my shorter rides

July 26, 2018, 5:52 p.m.

CYB has some challenging (for me) climbs. Some of the rock faces are good. Lots of lines to choose from.

Thread killer

July 27, 2018, 10:20 a.m.

What is the most popular/efficient way to climb up to LOTS? Up Stonebridge, left on Flank trail to Into the Mystic? Or is it better to come in from Function Junction?

July 27, 2018, 11:05 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

What is the most popular/efficient way to climb up to LOTS? Up Stonebridge, left on Flank trail to Into the Mystic? Or is it better to come in from Function Junction?

I prefer lower sproatt/industrial waste personally. South Flank out of Function is, efficient, but a grind. lots of people still go up stonebridge but we'd prefer if people didn't park up there, besides, then you miss out on finishing the loop with a blast down westside trails right to valley.

July 27, 2018, 1:12 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I prefer lower sproatt/industrial waste personally. South Flank out of Function is, efficient, but a grind. lots of people still go up stonebridge but we'd prefer if people didn't park up there, besides, then you miss out on finishing the loop with a blast down westside trails right to valley.

Working class, 3birds, ACDC is a great way to finish up.

July 28, 2018, 1:19 a.m.

I didn't realize Stonebridge Pl/Rd are private roads? Parked up there a couple times in prior years but haven't this year. I read that the developer has been pretty cool and proactive about MTB so will respect that and park elsewhere from now on.

July 28, 2018, 9:13 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

I didn't realize Stonebridge Pl/Rd are private roads? Parked up there a couple times in prior years but haven't this year. I read that the developer has been pretty cool and proactive about MTB so will respect that and park elsewhere from now on.

no, they are public, and you technically can...we'd just prefer if people didn't. The Stonebridge developer has actually been really cool, and is a huge supporter for our trail development stuff in that area, and has contributed to many of our projects with cash and staff/labour. We're working with the RMOW on developing a parking/staging area at the bottom of Lower Sproatt so we'll have a proper start of the Mystic climb with a similar style all the way to the alpine, and connected blue trails descending right back to there as well. Sirloin/Darwin's was never really built for descending riders, so that's one thing we didn't really anticipate happening. But yeah, we should've known people want to park as high as possible....

Last edited by: FlipFantasia on July 28, 2018, 9:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 30, 2018, 9:58 a.m.

So I checked out Dark Crystal this morning for the first time since it became "official". 

Some nice work has been done to make certain sections more sustainable. It's not the dreamy loamer I remembered it to be from several years ago, but it's nice to be able to do the last part of the climb without worrying about hostile encounters with the bear people. 

The lower "flow" sections seem a lot chunkier now — like, Microclimate post-EWS chunky. And though it's now public knowledge, I wonder if the relentless 700 metre climb is intimidating enough to keep traffic relatively low so that the trail doesn't devolve into a blown out mess.

July 30, 2018, 10:20 a.m.

Posted by: dmc

So I checked out Dark Crystal this morning for the first time since it became "official". 

Some nice work has been done to make certain sections more sustainable. It's not the dreamy loamer I remembered it to be from several years ago, but it's nice to be able to do the last part of the climb without worrying about hostile encounters with the bear people. 

The lower "flow" sections seem a lot chunkier now — like, Microclimate post-EWS chunky. And though it's now public knowledge, I wonder if the relentless 700 metre climb is intimidating enough to keep traffic relatively low so that the trail doesn't devolve into a blown out mess.

it's almost like it had 5 years of riding in a season.....

July 30, 2018, 10:48 a.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

it's almost like it had 5 years of riding in a season.....

:(

July 30, 2018, 12:48 p.m.

it's almost like when people can't control themselves with a new trail, and lap it multiple times a day/week by hundreds of people before it's even done, it never really recovers...and when that was late fall/early spring in the wet, well, you've seen the results.

July 31, 2018, 5:51 a.m.

It's almost like some people haven't accepted the realities of what happens to trails in Whistler/s2s. If you build a trail that people like, they're going to ride it.