Whistler trails 2017 (not the WBP)

Aug. 21, 2017, 1:21 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

stoked to hear you had a nice time, I've been involved in pretty much the whole process, from idea concept, planning, consultations, approvals, construction, etc..lots of others too though, literally all board members and a lot of past board members! It's definitely been a trip and we've learned a lot to apply moving forward on further development!

Kudos to all involved in that. My son and I rode it last week and it was incredibly impressive. I'll be making a donation to WORCA. Is the plan for With A Twist and Happy Hour to connect to anything? Didn't take either but looks like they dead end now?

Aug. 21, 2017, 3:47 p.m.

Posted by: Thingy

stoked to hear you had a nice time, I've been involved in pretty much the whole process, from idea concept, planning, consultations, approvals, construction, etc..lots of others too though, literally all board members and a lot of past board members! It's definitely been a trip and we've learned a lot to apply moving forward on further development!

Kudos to all involved in that. My son and I rode it last week and it was incredibly impressive. I'll be making a donation to WORCA. Is the plan for With A Twist and Happy Hour to connect to anything? Didn't take either but looks like they dead end now?

we have a mapped black descent from the summit (top of Happy Hour) in the application process, in addition to RMOW currently working on the ridge route from WAT to Hanging lake, and a return off Madeley Lake trail back to north air mine site. We also have a exit from LOTS adjacent to Flank down to Industrial Waste for full blue connection, and a proposed climbing connector from Beaver Pond/Lower Sproatt to top of High Society so we can bypass stonebridge drive/flank route. 

To be honest, I knew this would be extremely popular, but I'm pretty blown away at the response over the past couple of weeks, the On the Rocks strava segment users doubled since Thursday, I'd estimate the loop has seen a couple thousand people since it opened!

Aug. 22, 2017, 9:03 a.m.

I was actually stunned by the number of people I saw riding those trails last Friday. It was great to see people riding that long climb and enjoying it.

Aug. 22, 2017, 9:34 a.m.

I think the biggest shout out has to go to Dan Raymond. 3 years of camping and building to bring together that amazing LOTS trail. No machines involved just raw man power.

Last edited by: Kieran on Aug. 22, 2017, 9:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 22, 2017, 10:17 a.m.

Posted by: Kieran

I think the biggest shout out has to go to Dan Raymond. 3 years of camping and building to bring together that amazing LOTS trail. No machines involved just raw man power.

actually, the list of WORCA builders on LOTS is as follows (not including the many vollies that helped), and doesn't include the 6-10 RMOW builders and contractors for ITM and alpine portions;

Dan Raymond

Jerome David

Tim Andrews

Zander Strathearn

Lee-Anne Paterson

Kevin Radford

Seb Kemp

Patrick Plante

Dakota Goulder

Raphael Vesnoc

Andrew Norton

Ross Dunlop

Jordan Houle

Scott Veach

Benoit Guillaudeau

Renee Lamoureux

Makaela Smithers

Kolt Hoyle

Aug. 22, 2017, 10:42 a.m.

Posted by: Thingy

we have a mapped black descent from the summit (top of Happy Hour) in the application process, in addition to RMOW currently working on the ridge route from WAT to Hanging lake, and a return off Madeley Lake trail back to north air mine site. We also have a exit from LOTS adjacent to Flank down to Industrial Waste for full blue connection, and a proposed climbing connector from Beaver Pond/Lower Sproatt to top of High Society so we can bypass stonebridge drive/flank route. 

To be honest, I knew this would be extremely popular, but I'm pretty blown away at the response over the past couple of weeks, the On the Rocks strava segment users doubled since Thursday, I'd estimate the loop has seen a couple thousand people since it opened!

It's a definite destination trail now. I posted a few shots from the alpine and snow line last week and got a ton of response from people saying they're stoked to do it. I rode up Stonebridge on the weekend and saw lines of cars with racks parked along the road. I'm guessing that's the preferred route up (Darwin's to the flank to ITM)?

Aug. 22, 2017, 11:06 a.m.

actually, the list of WORCA builders on LOTS is as follows (not including the many vollies that helped), and doesn't include the 6-10 RMOW builders and contractors for ITM and alpine portions;

Dan Raymond

Jerome David

Tim Andrews

Zander Strathearn

Lee-Anne Paterson

Kevin Radford

Seb Kemp

Patrick Plante

Dakota Goulder

Raphael Vesnoc

Andrew Norton

Ross Dunlop

Jordan Houle

Scott Veach

Benoit Guillaudeau

Renee Lamoureux

Makaela Smithers

Kolt Hoyle

Good shout out!

And I wasn't saying he did it solo :P

Last edited by: Kieran on Aug. 22, 2017, 11:07 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 22, 2017, 2:40 p.m.

Good shout out!

And I wasn't saying he did it solo :P

no, I know...while he was very important, he was one piece of a really big puzzle and everyone deserves the credit for the accomplishment.

Aug. 22, 2017, 5 p.m.

Little piece of me died seeing a couple groups of e bikes up there this afternoon

Aug. 22, 2017, 10:57 p.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

Little piece of me died seeing a couple groups of e bikes up there this afternoon

Don't those count as motorized vehicles? Aren't motorized vehicles prohibited on these mixed-used trails (e.g. Flank, ITM, LOTS)?

Aug. 23, 2017, 10:03 a.m.

people suck

Aug. 23, 2017, 3:23 p.m.

Call them out when you see them. Don't have to be a total dick but politely say that motorized vehicles are not allowed on those trails as specified by the land manager and trail association (I believe that is true for WORCA at least?). Ignorant people need to be informed and assholes need to be made to feel uncomfortable. Maybe shops that rent them need to provide some warning as well?

Aug. 23, 2017, 8:07 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Call them out when you see them. Don't have to be a total dick but politely say that motorized vehicles are not allowed on those trails as specified by the land manager and trail association (I believe that is true for WORCA at least?). Ignorant people need to be informed and assholes need to be made to feel uncomfortable. Maybe shops that rent them need to provide some warning as well?

Noted.

Two dudes on what looked like all-mountain e-bikes blew by me on Darwin's this morning like I was standing still. I didn't see any on ITM/LOTS, but yeah, the destruction and roost they were laying down going up a climb trail left me frazzled. 

WORCA advocates for non-motorised mountain biking. WORCA considers e-bikes motorized vehicles.

http://www.worca.com/trails/trail-etiquette/

Well, there you go. Had I known, I would've said something.

Aug. 23, 2017, 9:31 p.m.

Agreed all around, there's a pretty heated E-bike thread going on already so I'll contribute there. 

Ride was awesome of course.

Aug. 26, 2017, 10:26 p.m.

Had a silly discussion at dinner tonight. Does the pronunciation of "Sproatt" rhyme with "thought", "throat", or something else? How do you say it?