Whistler trails 2017 (not the WBP)

Aug. 3, 2017, 12:20 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Trailforks report by RMOW is saying the Sproatt network will be open August 4th with some snow patches at higher elevations. Surprised, from some Instagram pics last week it looked like there was a ton of snow up there.

I was too, but RMOW crews and WORCA crew are all good with it and ready for the opening, so deferring to their expertise! stoked to share it with the world finally!

Aug. 3, 2017, 12:54 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

Trailforks report by RMOW is saying the Sproatt network will be open August 4th with some snow patches at higher elevations. Surprised, from some Instagram pics last week it looked like there was a ton of snow up there.

I was too, but RMOW crews and WORCA crew are all good with it and ready for the opening, so deferring to their expertise! stoked to share it with the world finally!

Hah, a pleasant surprise then if those folks are happy with things up high. Thank you for your work and WORCA/RMOW for this project... debating waiting till next weekend in hopes of the smoke clearing a bit but might hit it up Saturday. Some views would be nice though!

Aug. 3, 2017, 1:23 p.m.

Very much looking forward to this. I always ride by the epic wooden arch on the flank with much anticipation. 

On another note, the Blackcomb trails are extremely dry and super rowdy these days!

Aug. 3, 2017, 2:40 p.m.

Hah, a pleasant surprise then if those folks are happy with things up high. Thank you for your work and WORCA/RMOW for this project... debating waiting till next weekend in hopes of the smoke clearing a bit but might hit it up Saturday. Some views would be nice though!

my pleasure, it's definitely been a lot of years of work for a lot of people! the views are definitely worth it and an extra week of heat should take care of a lot of the snow that's left, so there's that to consider....

trails are definitely blown out and rowdy right now, High Side is smashed and I'm not actually too upset that toonie tonight got cancelled since it was going to use it again, was last week too and BCBR a couple weeks ago!

Aug. 4, 2017, 1:26 p.m.

What is the air quality like in Whistler these days? Much smoke / haze from the fires? Also, what would be the best ascent / descent in the Sproatt network to check out some of the new stuff? I'm pretty comfortable on most trails, tech, etc. Tnx.

Aug. 4, 2017, 2:24 p.m.

Its pretty horrible. I would have a hard time even recommending riding to the shops right now. Pretty happy to be indoors tbh

You mean into the mystic and lots? I would say climb up industrial waste, and then descend Pura vida. Working class is also good, a little more old school trail building rather than flat out down hill

Aug. 4, 2017, 2:59 p.m.

yeah it's really bad, today is probably the worst so far this week...I'm even having trouble on the 10 minute bike work commute between function and bayshores. ITM is the climb, and we're recommending that riders only descend LOTS from the top now, instead of going up and down LOTS, as we expect it to be a lot busier with the opening this weekend. For getting to ITM/Flank I've been doing the Lower Sproatt/Ind Waste/Flank option too, a bit more efficient than going up road through Stonebridge, up tot Flank, and then back across and down to ITM.

Aug. 4, 2017, 4:07 p.m.

ITM is the climb, and we're recommending that riders only descend LOTS from the top now, instead of going up and down LOTS, as we expect it to be a lot busier with the opening this weekend. For getting to ITM/Flank I've been doing the Lower Sproatt/Ind Waste/Flank option too, a bit more efficient than going up road through Stonebridge, up tot Flank, and then back across and down to ITM.

Hmm. I've always climbed Stonebridge, but Pura Vida, ITM, and LOTS are quite a ways south on the Flank. 

Are you suggesting starting the climb from Alta Lake Road by riding up the gravel road under the power lines, near Nita Lake Drive?

Aug. 4, 2017, 6:17 p.m.

Posted by: dmc

ITM is the climb, and we're recommending that riders only descend LOTS from the top now, instead of going up and down LOTS, as we expect it to be a lot busier with the opening this weekend. For getting to ITM/Flank I've been doing the Lower Sproatt/Ind Waste/Flank option too, a bit more efficient than going up road through Stonebridge, up tot Flank, and then back across and down to ITM.

Hmm. I've always climbed Stonebridge, but Pura Vida, ITM, and LOTS are quite a ways south on the Flank. 

Are you suggesting starting the climb from Alta Lake Road by riding up the gravel road under the power lines, near Nita Lake Drive?

That could work, but if you don't want to do that and don't want to do Darwins, then I suggest Middle Danimal to Industrial Waste. Fun single track climb and not much of a climb up to Pura / LOTS / ITM.

On another note, what is Sirloin? I heard it mentioned recently.

Aug. 5, 2017, 9:31 a.m.

Posted by: Queziviat

That could work, but if you don't want to do that and don't want to do Darwins, then I suggest Middle Danimal to Industrial Waste. Fun single track climb and not much of a climb up to Pura / LOTS / ITM.

Thanks for the replies. I take it ITM is the climb up and LOTS is the way down. Is ITM a hard / long climb? (Don't think I'll do it today as I can see and smell the smoke from here).

Last edited by: Thingy on Aug. 5, 2017, 11:02 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 5, 2017, 2:47 p.m.

Posted by: Queziviat

that's how I do it, but I also live in Bayshores so I just find it a bit quicker, but middle Danimal is also a good way to go that way!

Sirloin is actually what the bit of single track from the water reservoir at the top of Stonebridge to the Flank, is called.

Aug. 5, 2017, 2:49 p.m.

Posted by: Thingy

Thanks for the replies. I take it ITM is the climb up and LOTS is the way down. Is ITM a hard / long climb? (Don't think I'll do it today as I can see and smell the smoke from here).

that's correct, it's long for sure, but overall it's a decent gradient and has a lot of grade reversals after punchy bits for lots of recovery opportunities, but yeah it's still going to tax you. The smoke is even worse today, I'd way until it clears up to be honest.

Aug. 5, 2017, 5:39 p.m.

that's correct, it's long for sure, but overall it's a decent gradient and has a lot of grade reversals after punchy bits for lots of recovery opportunities, but yeah it's still going to tax you. The smoke is even worse today, I'd way until it clears up to be honest.

Yeah, I am absolutely waiting for a clear day. A 500m climb in this smoke leaves my lungs burning. Stonebridge to LOTS via ITM looks like it's three times that. Not to mention the views from the top of Sproatt are going to be non-existent in this smoke. :(

Aug. 8, 2017, 2:14 p.m.

Also waiting for the smoke to clear, due to the vert but we also want the views. Squamish was bad for smoke on Saturday but the air quality rating was even worse in Whistler...

Aug. 8, 2017, 3:03 p.m.

I spent the last couple days riding in Squamish too. I found that, even with similar air quality ratings to Whistler, the lower altitude of the trails in Squamish were easier on the lungs.

Some air quality forecasts show a potential shift in wind direction this Saturday, and maybe even some rain. Hoping it all clears up for the EWS and rest of Crankworx!

Last edited by: dmc on Aug. 8, 2017, 3:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.