Whistler trails 2017 (not the WBP)

May 4, 2017, 9:48 a.m.

I know there's still a ton of snow, but anyone been out yet?

Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever.

May 4, 2017, 11 a.m.

saw folks biking back from KMTM. Sounds like shovels have been out on CYB

May 4, 2017, 11:43 a.m.

AMPM, Trash, Train Wreck, Lower yer Saddle, short bus, lost lake, CYB, KMTM....that's about it though, IBT is close but has a broken bridge and snow on a few sections, walked High Side last night, it's still saturated and melting out with a lot of tree branch litter probably 2 weeks away. First WORCA trail night of the year is Tuesday,interpretive forest parking lot, 5:30, we'll be working from bottom up on Business Time

May 4, 2017, 11:44 p.m.

Flip: early days I know, but do you know how much more work is left to do to link the climbing trail to LOTS? Assuming snow is likely to hang around for quite some time, do you think the work is likely to be completed this year before the snow returns again?

I was so pissed off I didn't get the opportunity to ride it during the brief Sept period it was open last year...

May 5, 2017, 9:03 a.m.

I poked about on River Runs Through It yesterday. Too much snow and it will need a good stick and deadfall clearing. Emerald Forest was mostly clear. I've been riding Lost Lake trails a bunch. Absolutely clear there. I rode the bottom of IBT by pushing up through snow from the AMPM junction. Pretty clear except for a very large deadfall in one spot.

May 6, 2017, 2:21 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Flip: early days I know, but do you know how much more work is left to do to link the climbing trail to LOTS? Assuming snow is likely to hang around for quite some time, do you think the work is likely to be completed this year before the snow returns again?

I was so pissed off I didn't get the opportunity to ride it during the brief Sept period it was open last year...

Pretty sure the climbing trail was finished in the fall. I definitely rode both ways (up the descent in the early days, and up the climb and by industrial disease)

Would be surprised if the trail is rideable before canada day.

Last edited by: nortonwhis on May 6, 2017, 2:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 8, 2017, 1:06 p.m.

climbing trail is NOT finished, RMOW contractor needed 5 days to finish connecting to LOTS and they got snowed out in their last build week. We're planning on playing a much more active management role in open/closed status this year based on trail conditions, so watch WORCA.com and trailforks. But expect it to be super late this year, the snowpack is really deep up there.

Additionally expect Blackcomb trail closures until we're sure there won't be significant damage to the trails. Spring riding on Blackcomb, especially microclimate, has wrecked havoc on the trail condition in the past couple years, it's in a low lying, melt area and holds a lot of water. One of the builders spent a lot of hours in there end of the year and we're going to try and do what we can to preserve that work until it dries out.

Last edited by: FlipFantasia on May 9, 2017, 11:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 9, 2017, 10:16 a.m.

What would you recommend riding over the next week or two? KMTM, CYB? Is Out There rideable (haven't been up for the last month).

May 9, 2017, 11:29 a.m.

Posted by: Thingy

What would you recommend riding over the next week or two? KMTM, CYB? Is Out There rideable (haven't been up for the last month).

KMTM/Out There is good to go, very low westside trails, and most of Cheakamus (Except ridge/See Colours areas) are also clear, and of course Lost Lake

May 12, 2017, 5:07 p.m.

Just read about a possible cougar sighting near the top of Business Time. 

It was on FB on the the Whistler Winter page so I'm not sure how reliable the info is. 

The post was from an hour ago.

June 8, 2017, 11:57 p.m.

There seems to be either a few cougars at the south end of the valley or it's the same one that keeps being seen. 

Last week there was two more sightings. One was at the top of LSD and a few days later the other one was seen right near the main bridge connecting the Cheakamus Crossing neighbourhood to the highway. 

Today I heard a story of a friend earlier this week was riding up on the Sproatt Flank just before Pura Vida and saw a mother and two kits! 

It seems like there have been way more sightings this year. Are there more in the valley, I wonder?

June 9, 2017, 11:08 a.m.

Posted by: RideEverything

There seems to be either a few cougars at the south end of the valley or it's the same one that keeps being seen. 

Last week there was two more sightings. One was at the top of LSD and a few days later the other one was seen right near the main bridge connecting the Cheakamus Crossing neighbourhood to the highway. 

Today I heard a story of a friend earlier this week was riding up on the Sproatt Flank just before Pura Vida and saw a mother and two kits! 

It seems like there have been way more sightings this year. Are there more in the valley, I wonder?

Just the low snow level keeping a lot of wildlife (prey and pred) lower down. We had one chirping at kits very close to us in the IBT area last week, even managed to slip on a log that was covered in what appeared to be cougar piss

July 4, 2017, 9:46 a.m.

Blackcomb report?

July 4, 2017, 10:02 a.m.

Anyone know the cause of the fire on Sunday? Can you still ride Hey Bud, Micro, etc?

July 4, 2017, 12:20 p.m.

Posted by: Thingy

Anyone know the cause of the fire on Sunday? Can you still ride Hey Bud, Micro, etc?

squatter trying to burn TP.....trails are open I believe, MC too after the spring closure/maintenance...