Whistler trails 2017 (not the WBP)

Aug. 9, 2017, 11:17 a.m.

Posted by: dmc

I spent the last couple days riding in Squamish too. I found that, even with similar air quality ratings to Whistler, the lower altitude of the trails in Squamish were easier on the lungs.

Some air quality forecasts show a potential shift in wind direction this Saturday, and maybe even some rain. Hoping it all clears up for the EWS and rest of Crankworx!

I wonder how many days of sth winds it will take to blow all this away. I mean its as far south as Seattle and i had heard Portlland.

Aug. 10, 2017, 12:23 p.m.

Thinking about hitting ITM and LOTS tomorrow morning.  The air quality index seems like it might be a bit better tomorrow, and then much better over the weekend.  Anyone up there today care to comment on the smoke?

Aug. 10, 2017, 3:47 p.m.

Def looks better than this time last week.

I would be more cautious about doing huge rides, especially if you know you are going to struggle for air  on the climb. If you are in really good shape and dont think the climb will completely destroy you, you should be fine. Lots of friends still out and riding and the toonie is going ahead this week too.

Aug. 10, 2017, 4:21 p.m.

Luckily uphill is my strong suit:-)  I was up on Cypress yesterday and things seemed much better up high and in the trees.  Thanks for the info!

Aug. 10, 2017, 4:39 p.m.

new trail just appeared on trailforks: Rainbow's End. I've heard of it before. How difficult is it (as a double black) and how the hell do you get up there?

Aug. 10, 2017, 5:47 p.m.

Posted by: Queziviat

new trail just appeared on trailforks: Rainbow's End. I've heard of it before. How difficult is it (as a double black) and how the hell do you get up there?

Is this not the trail for the Rainbow Mountain heli drop?

Aug. 11, 2017, 7:39 a.m.

Posted by: dmc

Posted by: Queziviat

Is this not the trail for the Rainbow Mountain heli drop?

yes, not new...actually very old

Aug. 11, 2017, 6:24 p.m.

Also, I heard of a trail called Sheol in the No Flow Zone. Is that Lower Gargamel? Or that trail after Trial&Error with the rock faces? Or is it something that else?

Aug. 15, 2017, 9:07 a.m.

Finally got a chance to ride ITM/LOTS yesterday afternoon. ITM is an absolute work of art. I appreciated the subtle grading — although still averaging 10 percent — and spent most of my time admiring the trail, bridge, and drainage work. The way the trail flows through endless meadows of wildflowers in the alpine is a really special experience you can't get from Top Of The World. Simply amazing.

I think I'm only of average fitness, and it took me around 3.5 hours to get to the weather station at the top of Sproatt.

There also seem to be enough sources of water along the ride to do it with a single water bottle and a small filter like an MSR TrailShot. (I absolutely hate riding with a pack.) The scenic rest stop about 4 km into ITM with the waterfall and deck is incredible.

Amazing work and a huge thank you to anyone (FlipFantasia?) involved with the project.

Aug. 16, 2017, 1:38 p.m.

stoked to hear you had a nice time, I've been involved in pretty much the whole process, from idea concept, planning, consultations, approvals, construction, etc..lots of others too though, literally all board members and a lot of past board members! It's definitely been a trip and we've learned a lot to apply moving forward on further development!

Aug. 16, 2017, 3:42 p.m.

That's amazing Flip, congrats and I hope you are enjoying the fruits of your labour.

Aug. 18, 2017, 10:40 a.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

stoked to hear you had a nice time, I've been involved in pretty much the whole process, from idea concept, planning, consultations, approvals, construction, etc..lots of others too though, literally all board members and a lot of past board members! It's definitely been a trip and we've learned a lot to apply moving forward on further development!

I'll echo the above sentiments.  I'm not sure I've ever dedicated so much thought to the work that went into a trail, than I did on that ride.  It's sort of a surreal experience pumping through trail in an alpine environment.  Yet another gem for Whistler.  Thanks, big boss!

Aug. 18, 2017, 6:38 p.m.

I also did the ITM LOTS and other stuff today for the first time. The 5°C and light rain added to the epic nature. Interestingly one of crew Dan had not ridden any of it before either. And he built the climb! He told us all sorts of bits going up. There's a waterfall, there's the bottom of a certain trail. He'd never seen LOTS. He loved it. Beer is being quaffed now.

Aug. 18, 2017, 8:31 p.m.

I'm an idiot; what does ITM/LOTS stand for?

Aug. 18, 2017, 9:36 p.m.

Into The Mystic and Lord of the Squirrels, climb and descent respectively.