Whistler hotel with GOOD SAFE bike security?

May 23, 2017, 2:52 p.m.

HI everyone!

I'll be turning 50 soon and my wife is planning on taking me to whistler for a romantic biking getting away. We will NOT be riding in the bike park as I am coming of a serious knee injury (MCL . acl tear and tibial head compression fracture. We will only be riding xc trails (me in my fancy new Carbon fiber knee brace.. 

Looking for a hotel that has really good bike storage security?

Any suggestions?

sent by flux capacitor

May 23, 2017, 6:18 p.m.

In my opinion Aava is the best. Guests get nowhere near the bike room. Hotel personnel only.

Thread killer

May 23, 2017, 7:54 p.m.

cool thats what I was thinking...

sent by flux capacitor

May 31, 2017, 8:38 p.m.

Aava, The Westin and Four Seasons have secured storage with only employee access. You can also store your bike at the base of the mountain beside guest services. They charge for day fee I think is $10, overnight $15.00 and 24 hour storage is 18?

We always call the hotel and ask how the bikes are stored. 

Hope this helps.

June 1, 2017, 11:30 a.m.

https://www.whistler.com/activities/biking/accommodation/ is a decent reference.

We stayed at Tantalus last year and their bike storage room is accessible by guests (not cool). They say it's physically locked out at night so no one can access but still... saw someone's Nomad with ENVE wheels in there, not even locked to the rack.

June 24, 2017, 12:56 p.m.

The Pinnacle is not good either. Once staff lets you into the room, you could say any bike is yours & take it. Nowhere to lock it to, either.

Thread killer

Aug. 7, 2021, 6:33 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

https://www.whistler.com/activities/biking/accommodation/ is a decent reference.

We stayed at Tantalus last year and their bike storage room is accessible by guests (not cool). They say it's physically locked out at night so no one can access but still... saw someone's Nomad with ENVE wheels in there, not even locked to the rack.

Every year, we do a bike trip to a different city. When we started the ride, the weather was sunny, nothing foretold trouble. In just five minutes, the weather changed, the clouds turned black, and a thunderstorm started. We made our way to the nearby Stewart Hotel. How happy we were to be there, we were treated to hot tea. We parked our bikes in the parking lot, absolutely free. It turned out that there are many hotels with free parking in NYC. We were pleasantly surprised that we were allowed to do it, cause we didn't pay a cent.

Last edited by: AlexCrowlen on Aug. 10, 2021, 3:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 9, 2022, 12:37 p.m.

Old thread but Blackcomb Springs Suites has lockable bike pods for free, where you are the only one with a key. The pods are also inside a locked bike cage. Far from the lifts, though.

Feb. 26, 2022, 12:50 p.m.

Sundial has been our fav recently for family stays with bikes. Super helpful and friendly staff, some are also riders. 

Bike room is Right next to staff room so they are pretty quick when you call them to get your bike. Also bike wash with wpl cleaner available as well as bike stand, some tools and a pump. Dedicated spot at parkade for washing/wrenching.

They have only suites tho so might not work for everyone. For family stay it's spot on in my opinion.

Sept. 14, 2023, 11:27 a.m.

Silly question from somebody who is hoping to visit for the first time next summer, but is bike theft from hotels and storage a big issue over there? I know bikes get taken from outside bars and cafes when left unattended (same in UK and Europe) but do hotels get targeted too? Thanks Ben

Sept. 16, 2023, 6:39 p.m.

I don't think it's been that bad lately. At least I have not heard of any / many. If you leave it outside, use a beefy lock. That will help. I don't know if they still do it, but the GLC bike rental shop use to offer secure bike storage for a small fee. The Aava hotel is very good as far as your bike being secure. Some other hotels have a bike room which any guest is able to access.

Sept. 18, 2023, 9:47 a.m.

Posted by: strengthfactory

Silly question from somebody who is hoping to visit for the first time next summer, but is bike theft from hotels and storage a big issue over there? I know bikes get taken from outside bars and cafes when left unattended (same in UK and Europe) but do hotels get targeted too? Thanks Ben

In past years, they've busted thieves returning to the Greater Vancouver area with moving-vans full of expensive bikes pilfered from between the Whistler/Squamish areas. It's most definitely a marked thieving location for organized and non-organized dirt bags, far and wide. Hotel balconies etc. are certainly targeted.

Sept. 18, 2023, 11:02 a.m.

haven't heard of much theft activity (of note) for a few years now. some hotel lock-ups are definitely less secure than others (ie, chain-link cages in parkades with access via key codes), but i always bring a decent lock regardless of the facility, and have never had an issue. guess i'm relatively blase, as a consequence.