Whistler bum?

March 3, 2012, 10:16 a.m.

How's it going?
Whistler is calling me again and I'm working hard to save up money to stay as long as possible for the summer of 2012.
I know I'll only have enough money for about a month or two but that's not going to be enough Whistler goodness for me. I'd love to spend mid June to Sept/October there.

I've been to Whistler three times before including travelling around BC in a van for 3 months so I've got a reasonable idea of what to expect and the "awesome" food prices.
I'm from the UK and can't get a temp work permit/bunac as I'm over 30 (I qualify for attempting residency but waiting time is roughly 48 months :cry: )

Does anyone have any ideas on how to last a season there without a work permit?
I definitely want to be in or near the village and I just want to ride my bike as much as possible.
I'm not bothered about partying so don't need a beer budget.
Is living in a van possible anywhere other than Riverside campground?
Does anyone know of any good bins/trash to hang around for food scraps etc?
Any help/ideas would be great
Cheers

March 3, 2012, 1:33 p.m.

Paging Wheeldrop. Wheeldrop to the reception area please.

Seriously, pm Wheeldrop. He knows what he's doing.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

March 3, 2012, 2:05 p.m.

Yeah he'd know the best bins to hang around for sure.

diggin

March 3, 2012, 2:05 p.m.

Buy van. Move it around constantly. In the good old days I lived in the conference centre and lot one. Nowadays cal cheq camp ground is a good cheap option.

March 3, 2012, 5:58 p.m.

Wheeldrop has bin there [HTML_REMOVED] done that.

Thread killer

March 3, 2012, 6:45 p.m.

I would buy and van and live in it. There are lots of dirt roads north and south of town you could just stay at if you don't need running water and a shittttter. I lived there for five years and spent the last summer living in a camper all over. Plus you get to have the advantage to live, ride in Squamish and Pemby. Its not for everyone but its cheap. Finding a job working under the counter is probably tough these days depending on your skills.

March 9, 2012, 11:28 a.m.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Sounds like a van is the way to go.
I'll check out Cal Cheak too

March 11, 2012, 10:03 p.m.

On the plus side Wheeldrop can also provide you with solid advice on Whistler's women

March 11, 2012, 10:12 p.m.

I used to get whistler bum too,but changing my ginch 2 or 3 times a day and some zinc cream cleared it up in no time.

Pastor of Muppets

March 12, 2012, 4:37 p.m.

I thought this thread was about the dead guy they found in the woods by Alpine Meadows…fail.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

March 14, 2012, 7:50 p.m.

I could sell you cheap vans 2 to choose from:
87 Dodge 250 extended panel semi insulated ,on auto propane,covered in stickers,cargo
92 chev v6 side windows no door locks or ignition key uses a screwdriver to start it,has a hitch reciever.
If you buy me a seasons pass i will give you one of these vans ,i will pick you up from airport and drive you up opening day.
You have to have a cooler(get from value village) ,purchase food at places like wal mart,and xtra foods,jump in hot tubes to wash,eat hot dogs and canned oysters lots,have a small bbq ,and burner.Cooking yourself is a must.
do not pay for campsites you need your coin for grub and brake pads.If you move around and catch fish to eat from many of the lakes and rivers.
There is a re use it center to buy used cook ware ,have a small dvd player for evening entertainment,stay out of the bars,if you want to ride hard you will not party.
I have a squat shack i can rent you 10 bucks a night all you need is foamy and a good sleeping bag.its good to go spent a season and a half in it scrounged used plywood from job sites or you could build your own lean to to keep you dry.When i rode in the wet and needed to dry my clothes for next day i would put my gear on a dryer output vent,but beware someone stole a sleepig bag when i left it,unattended.There are not many binners up there so you can grab good food that the rich leave behind,collect empties for extra coin.
Good luck my friend

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

March 14, 2012, 9:45 p.m.

i have a new level of respect for wheeldrop.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

March 14, 2012, 10:27 p.m.

Me too.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

March 15, 2012, 2:43 p.m.

i have a new level of respect for wheeldrop.

Me too that is awesome cheap living and a great deal on both vans

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

March 15, 2012, 9:45 p.m.

He's very resourceful.

Thread killer