Whistler BP with AM bike

Jan. 15, 2014, 6:30 p.m.

i've got the low end bike to boot. though i've upgraded a second wheelset, high zoot damper in the Vengance fork and an xt drivetrain, so she's pretty good. i wonder how the basic xfusion 02 shock will fare in that kind of environment. i don't think it's designed for that level of high speed sustained pounding. does it get stiff, lose its damping? what happens? a vector air or similar shock is a mighty expensive upgrade and i don't know if it's worth it.

Jan. 16, 2014, 3:31 a.m.

I am still (again and again?) thinking about selling my big bike, and upgrading my HT for such use - a different fork that can be swapped, along with another wheelset.

I realised that last season I rode my pig bike twice - and I think I do not really need it anymore. I experienced however that I could have needed a bigger fork in the Alps. I ride trails different than most other riders I met there.

Any suggestions for an upgrade that makes sense? Frame is a Stylus with currently a Marz 44.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 16, 2014, 5:04 p.m.

^^ Pike? Or Lyrik if you're on a budget

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 17, 2014, 12:11 p.m.

I have a lyrik on my hardtail and it is ideal for this sort of thing

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Jan. 17, 2014, 12:36 p.m.

I rode an Intense SS in the park for years with a Totem and a Fox 36. Super fun and no problems in the Garbo trails either. Maybe a little hand fatigue but no worse for wear than on my V10 now.

If you aren't planning on riding Whistler a ton, or if you want to cover the trails outside the bike park and keep costs under control, a 6x6 will do just fine.

Jan. 17, 2014, 7:28 p.m.

great advice and good to know. would love to take a 2 day course with this Schleyer guy, even the prices are reasonable. looks like i've got the right bike.

Jan. 17, 2014, 10:43 p.m.

I've seen people in their 70's riding riding old school MTBs with racks and fenders in the Park. Just ride what you like and accept the fact that you might not go as fast as someone wearing pink and yellow pyjamas doing whips (the only move more ungainly looking than a bow legged table….) all the way down the mountain. It's no big deal.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 17, 2014, 10:48 p.m.

I guess I should've mentioned that I was making a wheelsize joke and that was all.

I rode a 6x6 bike (Nomad, Range) mostly until I didn't :bandit:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 22, 2014, 3:44 p.m.

I rode a few runs on my RootDown 29er hardtail.

Super fun on trails like Karate Monkey [HTML_REMOVED] Ninja Cougar, Bluseium, Wednesday Night Lights and the rest. Way undergunned on Dirt Merchant and the GLC drops. But I rode them anyways…

Jan. 23, 2014, 7:34 p.m.

I rode the BP on my enduro. It beat the shit out of my hands and the RP2 air shock would feel like it locked up about half way down Garbo.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Jan. 23, 2014, 8:04 p.m.

I rode the BP on my enduro. It beat the shit out of my hands and the RP2 air shock would feel like it locked up about half way down Garbo.

One of the main reasons I converted mine to an Evo and, with the help of Suspension Werx, installed a DHX RC4. Night and day difference

Jan. 24, 2014, 11:55 a.m.

You don't need a big bike for the park. If you ride the greens and blues you can ride any bike you like. You can ride the jump trails on a hardtail if you can make the landings and the brake bumps aren't too bad. In fact you can ride all of it on a hardtail if your body is strong enough and you don't care what you're doing to you bike.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Jan. 24, 2014, 12:59 p.m.

^^^
Agreed…My All Mtn rigs do have rear shocks with piggy back resevior so over heating isnt a concern.
I love hitting the jump lines on a single crown fork.

I just tend to hit the GLC or Long Horn 1 or 2 laps before my DH bro's. Tough price to pay…waitress, boobs and beer…the horror

But I guess we are all in agreeance..an All Mtn specific bike and a Season's Pass probably isnt the best call.

Jan. 26, 2014, 12:52 a.m.

Blew up a s-type on a 6in travel bike because of the Canadian open chairlift step down a few seasons back. All I can say is be smooth… Lol

Parking lot punter with a beer belly

Jan. 26, 2014, 10:42 a.m.

i think the biggest limitation will be the basic rear shock. Norco recommends the Monarch plus but wow, that's a spendy upgrade, holy shit.