whistler BP ideas..

June 22, 2014, 9:41 p.m.

hey all. heading to Whistler for a wedding July 12 weekend. would like to spend a couple hrs at the airdome practicing jumps into the pit and then the park the following day. i'll ride my Range kb (vengeance fork set at 170) which i think will be fine (i won't be looking for the gnarliest pro trails to hit). would like to go right to the peak. is it as awesome as it seems? does the pass allow you only 1 ride up there? trying to convince the wife to come with and rent a DH bike.

any input on how to get the best of it, must do trails, other advice let me know. i'm tempted to rent a DH bike myself but i'm 6'5" and figure my bike should do be fine and i hate undersized bikes and i'm cheap.

June 22, 2014, 9:47 p.m.

Garbo just opened, will top of world even be open by jul12?

June 22, 2014, 10:01 p.m.

Not a chance in hell in my opinion. There's still snow in the forecast for the alpine.

The DH bike will serve you well for riding the blue trails that are brake-bumped to hell.

My buddy had his derailleur fall off his Truax on blue velvet last year not from a direct hit, rather the washboard brake bumps.

June 22, 2014, 11:12 p.m.

You've ridden here before or no? You'll be good with the range if you're going to take it easy and ride mostly blues, you don't need to be a rock star and boost a line and freight train if you don't ride DH at home. Although thrashing a rental could actually prove to be cheaper!

June 23, 2014, 2:57 a.m.

hey all. heading to Whistler for a wedding July 12 weekend. would like to spend a couple hrs at the airdome practicing jumps into the pit and then the park the following day. i'll ride my Range kb (vengeance fork set at 170) which i think will be fine (i won't be looking for the gnarliest pro trails to hit). would like to go right to the peak. is it as awesome as it seems? does the pass allow you only 1 ride up there? trying to convince the wife to come with and rent a DH bike.

any input on how to get the best of it, must do trails, other advice let me know. i'm tempted to rent a DH bike myself but i'm 6'5" and figure my bike should do be fine and i hate undersized bikes and i'm cheap.

I rocked a 2009 norco six one in the park for a weekend and it was a blast, hit everything lower mountain except crabapple so as far as travel wise you'll be fine. The only problem was it thrashed my 160 lyrik after the second day. I guess sending fade to black and casing because my friends an idiot and went really slow off it was a bad idea…so to sum it up you'll be fine on the range especially on blues and mellow blacks, just be prepared to pay for repairs because the park eats derailleurs for lunch and is notorious for destroying parts. Have fun! Whistlers a blast

June 23, 2014, 9:39 a.m.

if i were to rent a bike, any ideas of what would fit? if i could find a large norco aurum that would probably work. i've never been on a DH bike before, could be a lot of fun. yes i was in the WBP once before a few years ago taking an Endless biking course. was on a Reign X. awful bike.

June 23, 2014, 9:52 a.m.

Fanatyk does rent Aurums, so I would check with them if you want to rent one. It would definitely make the day a lot more enjoyable and would save the beating on your Range.

http://fanatykco.com/bike-rentals

June 23, 2014, 11:58 a.m.

Another vote for a rental.
Snap yourd derailluer hanger after 4 runs, roll back to the shop and be back on the mountain in 15 minutes. Snap yours and youll be out 30 bucks and whatever time it takes to track one down, install etc etc.

June 24, 2014, 11:23 a.m.

Depends on what you want to ride. If you are riding green and blue trails, your Range is probably OK. If you are practicing air in the dome because you want to rip around the park, I would suggest a rental. You could probably do Top of the World on a Range if you are a confident rider who has done some technical riding before.

June 24, 2014, 9:47 p.m.

it's probably time to finally try a DH bike. think we'll both rent one. i'd like to know what all the hype's about!