whistler bike park gets a change of face

March 16, 2008, 8:34 p.m.

I have heard Tom was one of the main reasons why backflips were allowed at Crankworx. He petitioned hard to allow them in competition, despite overwhelming pressure from Whister Blackcomb's insurance company.

If Tom leaves, we may see a change in the regulations that govern Crankworx competition. The backflip may be banned from slopestyle competion, thus making Timo Pritzel, Andreu Lecondeguy and Paul Bas' entry into Crankworx a complete waste of time!

and his own kid, alex pro

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/

March 17, 2008, 6:55 p.m.

You will definitely not see any limitations put on Crankworx.

TomPro

March 19, 2008, 8:48 a.m.

your not understanding me, your lunch break is ur time not paid not covered by liability, so u should be free to do as u please, obviously showing some responsibility and not riding black trails or using designated runs like we did in winter!

Are you sure about that? Do you sign out and sign in?, I would be curious to hear a workmans comp expert on this subject as I am pretty sure, even for lunch (unless there is a certain gap between the time frames like 3 or 4 hours), your workplace is still responsible.

March 28, 2008, 6:40 p.m.

looks like pro and the boys won't be that far removed…..I'm enjoying working with them on their GL projects….good team, passionate folk…

604-938-7668
[email protected]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 30, 2008, 5:52 p.m.

interesing….very interesting

Loud Hubs Save Lives

March 30, 2008, 6:54 p.m.

your not understanding me, your lunch break is ur time not paid not covered by liability, so u should be free to do as u please, obviously showing some responsibility and not riding black trails or using designated runs like we did in winter!

So how many runs can you get in during your lunch break at IGA?

March 30, 2008, 6:57 p.m.

hehehehehhe

March 30, 2008, 8:34 p.m.

If Tom leaves, we may see a change in the regulations that govern Crankworx competition. The backflip may be banned from slopestyle competion, thus making Timo Pritzel, Andreu Lecondeguy and Paul Bas' entry into Crankworx a complete waste of time!

Wtf are you talking about??? First off Timo doesn't even Crankworx. Secondly I'm sure with tricks like 3whips, 720s, flatspins, superseaters and much more lecon and bas wouldn't get anywhere with Crankworx right?

March 31, 2008, 12:27 p.m.

Wtf are you talking about??? First off Timo doesn't even Crankworx. Secondly I'm sure with tricks like 3whips, 720s, flatspins, superseaters and much more lecon and bas wouldn't get anywhere with Crankworx right?

Timo was in it previous years, I believe he was out last year because of an injury.

March 31, 2008, 4:06 p.m.

timo mentioned in a german mag that he wants to concentrate more on filming and less on contests, doubt he will be at the 08 crankworx…

March 31, 2008, 5:04 p.m.

just saying that because he wont win

March 31, 2008, 5:53 p.m.

That is badass! Congrats to Tom, Dave, and Rob for taking full ownership!

I was discussing universities and trade school options with my High School students today and trying to give them some advice on how to decide where to go. The best I could come up with was to choose a trade/profession and find out about people in that profession that really epitomize the things that draw you to that field. Then find out how they got there and do whatever you have to do to gain the same experiences.

Now here are three guys that my students will definitely be inspired by. Could you imagine a better position for someone with the same talent and experience?

April 1, 2008, 12:51 a.m.

i can get 3 and a half hours of riding in before i even have to go to work thats better than workin for the mtn right there. nm making 5 bucks an hour more there than for the mtn!

here to ride but i'm to busy building

April 1, 2008, 1:05 a.m.

Interestingly enough this just caught my eye while job searching:

http://www.brainhunter.com/frontoffice/seekerViewJobDetailAction.do?sitecode=pl317[HTML_REMOVED]jobId=960202[HTML_REMOVED]page=search

April 2, 2008, 11:27 a.m.

From the Vancouver Sun today.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/business/story.html?id=9adb8493-c8ce-4636-ab76-6fd9d3cbb6ff

Whistler resort workers take over design company

Brian Morton, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, April 02, 2008

It's not often that employees work out a deal that sees them take over a business operation at North America's top-ranked mountain resort, but three Whistler men have done just that.

Whistler Blackcomb has transferred ownership of one of its mountain bike divisions to the employees, who will now operate it as a new independent company.

The move will see Tom Prochazka, Dave Kelly and Rob Cocquyt assume ownership of Gravity Logic Inc. [GLI], which has also signed a five-year contract with Whistler Blackcomb to supply trail design and layout services to the Whistler Mountain Bike Park.

Under the new ownership, GLI will continue to offer design and development services not only to Whistler Blackcomb, but to ski resorts, summer resorts, municipalities and land managers from around the world, including China.

"Now we can be our own bosses and take the company in the direction the three of us would like to see it going," Kelly, 36, said in an interview. "We have 20-plus active clients all over the world. Whistler Blackcomb represents less than five per cent of our current estimated revenue."

According to a news release, Whistler Blackcomb established Gravity Logic almost two years ago and has worked on projects in more than a dozen countries. An annual mountain bike educational symposium called the Gravity Logic Forum was also developed.

However, Kelly said Whistler Blackcomb decided to sell the operation largely because of liability issues. He said they decided to purchase GLI as part of a deal that will see them take over design and construction of Whistler Blackcomb's bike park expansion into Blackcomb Mountain. "Our insurance premiums are huge, but we're willing to accept that risk."

Details of the sale were not disclosed.

Kelly said the new company will focus on their strengths - the three men have been involved in trail design in Squamish and Whistler for more than a decade - and that there's a "massive potential" for growth, especially because of Gravity's association with Whistler Blackcomb.

He said the Whistler bike park now has more than 100,000 paid visits per year - "nobody else in the world is even close" - but that it's still a relatively young sport.

"Our biggest challenge is convincing ski resorts that there's a viable market and that the investment's worth it. And it's not cheap to develop [bike parks]. The price for a kilometre of trail for a bike park is $30,000. And they typically need a minimum of 20 kilometres for a reasonably good product."

Kelly added that Gravity is also partnering with Kona Mountain bike parks (a division of Kona Mountain Bikes).

He said they expect 100-per-cent growth in revenue next year, with annual revenues reaching $500,000 in a couple of years.

"Since its inception, the interest in Gravity Logic has been overwhelming and has met, or exceeded, all of our expectations," Dave Brownlie, president and COO of Whistler Blackcomb, said in a statement. "It has grown to the point where it can more effectively achieve its original objective of acting as a catalyst to grow and develop the sport of mountain biking by becoming a stand-alone company."

Jeremy Roche and Rob McSkimming, the other two founding members of Gravity Logic, will continue working with Whistler Blackcomb - Roche as summer business development manager, and McSkimming as Whistler Blackcomb's VP of business development.

[email protected]

GRAVITY LOGIC INC.

No. of employees: Three owners, plus six part-time workers.

Expected annual revenues in two years: $500,000

Cost of building one kilometre of trail for a bike park: $30,000

Number of kilometres needed for a decent bike park: At least 20

Number of clients around the world: More than 20

- - -