Whistler Bike Park 2015

Sept. 16, 2015, 10:06 p.m.

Yes that! Any change would be welcome.

Any tips would be appreciated:

PS: How come the distribution of WC DH podiums are predominantly in the jockey category of weight? Minnaar is probably the biggest of them all and he still comes in under 190…

I see the issue. No glove, no love!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 16, 2015, 10:37 p.m.

First jump on Schleyer just before the left-right berm, where's the best place to land? I have struggled to get that jump right. Go too fast [HTML_REMOVED] it sends me too far into the berm. I'm thinking maybe going a bit slower [HTML_REMOVED] taking the right-hand line will set me up better for the 1st berm.

I take the right hand line and land on the rocked part off the transition. Feels ok and sets up nicely for the left hand turn.

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

Sept. 17, 2015, 11:49 a.m.

Anyone kind enough to relay the current park trail conditions? Not the braking bumps and ruts report, just generally tacky, sloppy or purf? Thanks ya.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Sept. 17, 2015, 11:58 a.m.

Probably for the very reason most cyclist are under 200 lbs. DH needs more upper body strength than other cycling disciplines but you still also need to be lean to have the endurance and agility. It is also easier to turn quickly if you are lighter (more agility)

There are a few larger DH riders (sam dale, peaty, minnaar)

I was thinking it was more to do with lighter riders are able to use more volume of the suspension adjustments than a heavier rider. That probably doesnt translate properly but hopefully the idea is there.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Sept. 17, 2015, 12:59 p.m.

Tacky, sloppy, and foggy as hell.
But it's still pretty fun.
:woot:

Sept. 17, 2015, 2:03 p.m.

Anyone riding this Saturday? Going up for the beerfest weekend but it looks like its supposed to be really moist. Riding regardless

Sept. 17, 2015, 8:51 p.m.

I was thinking it was more to do with lighter riders are able to use more volume of the suspension adjustments than a heavier rider.

Come again?

Sept. 17, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

Come again?

Does a specific spring rating relative to a riders weight completely normalize the shock performance?

My gut says it isn't linear, but I don't know how not-linear it is.

Sept. 18, 2015, 6:46 p.m.

Does a specific spring rating relative to a riders weight completely normalize the shock performance?

My gut says it isn't linear, but I don't know how not-linear it is.

OK so two different topics. Spring rate and its appropriateness will vary for big riders. Too linear and you bottom out if beginning stroke feels good, or have a harsher beginning stroke but no longer bottom out. Bigger riders need the spring rate to ramp up more at the end of stroke.

Damping is by and large independent of spring rate. It can be used to compensate whatever tradeoff you may have selected for spring rate, but that's more of a bandaid fix. It's mostly down to rider preference in terms of how much damping you do or don't like.

Sept. 18, 2015, 7:36 p.m.

OK so two different topics. Spring rate and its appropriateness will vary for big riders. Too linear and you bottom out if beginning stroke feels good, or have a harsher beginning stroke but no longer bottom out. Bigger riders need the spring rate to ramp up more at the end of stroke.

Damping is by and large independent of spring rate. It can be used to compensate whatever tradeoff you may have selected for spring rate, but that's more of a bandaid fix. It's mostly down to rider preference in terms of how much damping you do or don't like.

What I meant by linearity was not the kind solved by tokens in an air cartridge (in hindsight, it was a bad question).

I think the better way of asking it is this:

Can any given shock behave exactly the same for a 100 pound rider or a 1000 pound rider assuming their sag rate is both exactly 30%?

Sept. 18, 2015, 7:54 p.m.

no and that is why places like SW are around.

If I was you and I thought my suspension wasn't performing to the fullest for my body type or style of riding, I would be down at SW or Fluid Function or Marz or….. getting the issues solved.

Sept. 18, 2015, 8:04 p.m.

no and that is why places like SW are around.

If I was you and I thought my suspension wasn't performing to the fullest for my body type or style of riding, I would be down at SW or Fluid Function or Marz or….. getting the issues solved.

I've got 50 days in the park this year and have loved each and every one of them. I'm going to not work a lot the next few weeks to ensure I get the rest of the sunny days in before close.

I think too many people are reading way to much into me talking ill of one jump in the park. If that single jump rescued you from a roving band of wolves and raised you, I understand.

My question above is a theoretical one, based solely on curiousity. If I've reached my quota, my apologies.

SW rules.

Sept. 18, 2015, 8:12 p.m.

Has anyone here done that real nasty right turn on Goat's Gully? I can clean the whole trail except for that one section. It just has commitment written all over it. I'd try it except if I screw up I can imagine a world of hurt.

Thread killer

Sept. 18, 2015, 8:46 p.m.

I think too many people are reading way to much into me talking ill of one jump in the park. If that single jump rescued you from a roving band of wolves and raised you, I understand.

My question above is a theoretical one, based solely on curiousity. If I've reached my quota, my apologies.

I want a cartoon based on a jump rescuing a fully grown man from a pack of wolves, I think that would be really sweet.

I took the question as you meant it I think, I'd already forgotten about that stupid jump. I like suspension a lot, geek out on it a bit.

Short answer to your 100lb/1000lb question is that it depends what you bought. Tokens basically are to address exactly what we're talking about. Volume adjustable air cans in general are for this. To my knowledge, it is very difficult to achieve with a metal spring, but I could be off base on that one. Non-adjustable volume air cans may as well be a metal spring as your stuck with whatever spring rate progression got engineered in.

Valving(as in size of valve orifices) can play big role on the damping side. Think of the engineers valving choice as the spectrum of adjustment they have given the user. For example, the vivid coil has both an M and an L valve setup. I have an M and wish I had an L. With a rear shock it's important to remember the rabbit hole can be quite deep as a lot depends on the linkage design, which dictates the spring rate and valving chosen by a bunch of engineers who may or may not have gotten it right in the first place.

Sept. 18, 2015, 8:50 p.m.

Has anyone here done that real nasty right turn on Goat's Gully? I can clean the whole trail except for that one section. It just has commitment written all over it. I'd try it except if I screw up I can imagine a world of hurt.

Used to be able to do it all the time (on the dh bike), only been down goats once this year (first time doing it on a trail bike) and that section seemed way harder. The trail is pretty rough now, but slow speed so really a big bike isnt neccessary. I need to get back and rebate it, I used to ride that trail a lot.