Whistler Bike Park 2015

June 6, 2015, 10:15 p.m.

Lower a-line needs an update anyway. That section before the rock drop is always brake bump central. But maybe that serves me right for riding a 6" bike

June 7, 2015, 11:56 a.m.

Funnest Family Cross track ever.

June 7, 2015, 6:24 p.m.

Seems like the bike rack install was done (or mostly done) on the Garbanzo chairlift today. Could this mean an early opening?

Funnest Family Cross track ever.

No doubt the radest way down to the liftline right now.

June 7, 2015, 8:05 p.m.

No doubt the radest way down to the liftline right now.

Agreed, I was grinning all 4 times I rode it today.

I heard on the lift that there were a few crashes on the optional lower hip jump that's right after the triple roller, but didn't personally see any carnage.
Hopefully everyone rolls through and feels everything out before they send it. I was enjoying trying to figure that jump out today.

June 7, 2015, 8:48 p.m.

My first few times through had me landing outside the course off of the first jump and I had to roll back in. Given the multiple tire tracks over the berm I was happy to see I wasn't the only one.

As for the hip jump.. lots of craters all over and around that thing already.

June 8, 2015, 7:40 a.m.

If you hit that left hand hip at trail speed you basically land in the Boneyard. I did, and I'm thankful for DH bike margin of error.

At low speed it's pretty fun, but slapping that inside berm is even better IMO.

June 8, 2015, 7:58 p.m.

What's the bike park like on Wednesday nights for those that just want to ride (and not race the phat Wednesday)?

I think I might be able to get off work somewhat early on Wednesday and wouldn't mind driving up to whistler to ride for a few hours. If the lines are long or half of the mountain is closed my time would be better spent on a longer local ride though.

June 8, 2015, 8:08 p.m.

Pretty dependent on what the course is going to be. If it's Dirty to Shady, then nothing is really closed (besides the best trail on the mountain).

There's the long line for everyone to get up there, but it's almost a one shot deal.

You got me thinking I should go too.

June 8, 2015, 8:31 p.m.

If you hit that left hand hip at trail speed you basically land in the Boneyard. I did, and I'm thankful for DH bike margin of error.

At low speed it's pretty fun, but slapping that inside berm is even better IMO.

It looks like they've closed that hip down FYI

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

June 9, 2015, 6:30 a.m.

It looks like they've closed that hip down FYI

Man … the bike Park is turning into Vancouver - a No Fun Zone.

What's the bike park like on Wednesday nights for those that just want to ride (and not race the phat Wednesday)?

Its usually fine … the races generally don't take up long stretches of high-traffic trails. And the race courses are usually pretty short. Races are confined to Fitz Zone. Most of the courses run 3-6 minutes (average). There is usually minimal disruption (at least in the past). There are no closures for pre-rides. Registration opens 4:30-5:30 pm and race doesn't start until 5 pm, usually a slow trickle of riders to the lineup with the lineups often getting longer towards the lineup cutoff at 6 pm. If you want, you can stay for the post race events at the GLC, there are often pretty cool draw prizes at the end.

June 12, 2015, 5:13 p.m.

Anybody got details on which trails are going to be open in Garbo tomorrow?

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

June 12, 2015, 5:33 p.m.

I think I might be able to get off work somewhat early on Wednesday and wouldn't mind driving up to whistler to ride for a few hours. If the lines are long or half of the mountain is closed my time would be better spent on a longer local ride though.

Sweet time to ride, sometimes a big line right around 5-5:30 as everyone loads at once for the race and ladies night groups but usually small the rest of the night

June 12, 2015, 6:53 p.m.

Anybody got details on which trails are going to be open in Garbo tomorrow?

almost everything. No Jimmy's Joker section of Freight Train. As far as I know everything else should be ready for ripping. Patrol will make the final call.

June 12, 2015, 7:34 p.m.

WBP home page says Garbo is opening tomorrow …

http://bike.whistlerblackcomb.com/

June 12, 2015, 8:20 p.m.

Is the garbo chair going to be open or just access to the garbo zone via the gondola?