Whistler Bike Park 2015

April 30, 2015, 12:32 a.m.

Am I the only one who thinks that some of these changes will be really good and bring the advanced-but-not-expert rider a bit more back into the fold? I'm old and should probably kill myself according to Team Robot but I am not that slow. I have to admit that as the jumps have gotten bigger and bigger, my desire to huck my meat hasn't really grown with them (Crabapple? Impressive but not gonna happen for me). A lot of my riding friends have abandoned the park for all-mountain/e-word riding because they find that they can get more joy out of that than casing a bunch of jumps with blind lips. I want challenge, airtime, not to be stuck behind someone on CIU, and I don't want to get in your way on A-Line or DM either. Having jump shapes with multiple lines (like on DM) seems pretty logical as does a trail in between CIU and A-Line.

I will reserve judgement until I see the the results but it sounds pretty good to me.

Good for people like you, potentially bad for people like me who are totally comfortable on all the features on a line and am worried about more traffic, time will tell hopefully he's right when he says "fear not a line addicts!"

At first I was pretty much in the same opinion as robot dude, but it's such a famous trail and there's always been experts only signs and squirrel catchers that never seemed to do enough, if they can make it still reasonably fun and safer for the Joey's that's the best thing to do.
And also as someone who lives here I don't care about getting held up since there's this sweet lift that takes you back up and you can hit it again in a few minutes. Makes sense catering a little more to that 30+ e-word crowd to help keep the bike park going I suppose, full on DH riding seems to be slipping if you look at how hard it is to sell a DH bike these days!

April 30, 2015, 6:47 a.m.

The biggest hazard at WBP is folks who bite off too much too soon. A little update to reduce the number of dead sailors on A-Line isn't a bad call.

It was fine as it was so long as folks used common sense and worked up to each feature incrementally, but the bike park seems to bring out the bravery in folks, which only works for so long.

I like change just for the sake of riding something different, so I'm all for it.

April 30, 2015, 7:24 a.m.

It's not all Joey's. There's also those that have progressed "appropriately" and not bitten off more than they can chew. They're done CIU and have dabbled on other purpose-built jumps and have those dialed. Now it's time for A-Line. It's not like they're gonna' have it pinned their first 3 or 4 times. Folks don't just magically show up and clean A-Line once they've mastered CIU. So this might be smooth that transition, while allowing those "new to A-Line" advanced riders carry speed with lower consequence while scoping bigger consequence moves they can step up to.

Agree with Kevin… you've got that lift to take you back up. So if you get hosed for a couple jumps, get over yourself and hit it the next time. Life's too short to be ticked by a Joey or someone naturally progressing.

DM and Crabapple are a different story altogether…. get outta my way! That said, it would be cool to see marked and clear pull-outs. We all know where they are, but a stressed first-timer or Joey is just trying to hang onto the bike…

April 30, 2015, 7:29 a.m.

I still see many people climb down the DM squirrel catcher. I think some shaming signs are needed.

April 30, 2015, 8:58 a.m.

Every time you progress, you tend become a Joey at the next level. I don't have a problem with that, so long as everyone knows the trail etiquette, namely pull off to the side to check out a feature or let those behind you pass and no standing/stopping in the middle of the trail. Ever.

Everyone at WBP is a paying customer and has every right to at least get a glimpse of what awaits them if they are persistent. Also be mindful, even if you think are hot shit, there are people who would still own you on A-Line and DM, so the rules apply to most everyone, not just Joeys.

April 30, 2015, 10:23 a.m.

For a good laugh: http://theteamrobot.blogspot.ca/2015/04/warning-from-team-robot.html

oh man i do miss the old A-line mentality..

must admit i was one of those guys at one time..

"on ur LEFT, bitch"…

:nono:

April 30, 2015, 11:24 a.m.

Has the park published a list of what's going to be open this weekend anywhere? Usually opening weekend has a slightly limited selection of trails open, no?

April 30, 2015, 12:44 p.m.

People would benefit from taking a bike park lesson or one of their free orientation sessions.
http://bike.whistlerblackcomb.com/information/new/index.aspx

There is a speed and a line that all trails can be ridden by anyone. The guides will show you the speed and the line.

I still like riding the park, best bang for your buck at working on your skills.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

April 30, 2015, 2:15 p.m.

It's not all Joey's. There's also those that have progressed "appropriately" and not bitten off more than they can chew. They're done CIU and have dabbled on other purpose-built jumps and have those dialed. Now it's time for A-Line. It's not like they're gonna' have it pinned their first 3 or 4 times. Folks don't just magically show up and clean A-Line once they've mastered CIU. So this might be smooth that transition, while allowing those "new to A-Line" advanced riders carry speed with lower consequence while scoping bigger consequence moves they can step up to.

The Coast Gravity Park suffers from this issue even more than Whistler. I like to think of myself as a good rider, but jump trails are definitely my weakness. After a lap or two on Doggers, I'm looking for more of a challenge… but will likely kill myself on Flight Deck/Coastal Cruise.

The gap from CIU to A-Line isn't quite as severe, but it will still be nice to have a bit more of a stepping stone between them. That said, I haven't ridden the park in 2 years so…

April 30, 2015, 5:23 p.m.

The official "what's open" post from WB:

http://update.whistlerbike.com/2015/04/30/whats-open/

April 30, 2015, 5:44 p.m.

The official "what's open" post from WB:

http://update.whistlerbike.com/2015/04/30/whats-open/

Getting to the bottom is going to be a pain in the ass.

April 30, 2015, 6:14 p.m.

Can't wait can't wait… Signed up to help at the bike swap so going to miss day 1 but whatever, will probably ride three days straight after lol

April 30, 2015, 10:51 p.m.

Getting to the bottom is going to be a pain in the ass.

Monkey hands is going to be a gong show if the 'maybe' list is closed too.

May 1, 2015, 2:12 a.m.

I still see many people climb down the DM squirrel catcher. I think some shaming signs are needed.

We need a snake pit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 1, 2015, 2:05 p.m.

Monkey hands is going to be a gong show if the 'maybe' list is closed too.

Wow… yeah didn't realize how much of the lower portion is closed. Especially with Heart of Darkness on the "maybe" list. Could be nuts. Hopefully people will finish their runs with calm patience.

I've always thought the biggest problem of Whistler was the bottom. They severely need another way down, especially with CIU and now CIU-more feeding directly into HoD. At the least, Monkey Hands could use a full overhaul to make it more interesting to draw more riders. Just some re-berming and grading, perhaps introducing some rollers. It could be graded to get a bit more out of the slope.

The intermediate bike cross introduced last year sure helped, but some folks just won't ride under the chair.

I don't know where else they could build another trail as they are wedged by the creek on the north and the terrain falls off the wrong way on the south, and the gondi-cut is pretty limiting down the middle.