Whistler Bike Park 2015

April 29, 2015, 12:19 p.m.

This is where having tues/wed off works out.

Bingo Bango Bongo

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 29, 2015, 12:57 p.m.

More info on A-Line/CIU: http://update.whistlerbike.com/2015/04/28/ch-ch-ch-changes/

Gonna head up on Sunday, might be slightly less busy? Wonder if they will run the village gondola for bikes given that skiing is still going on? Forecast looks great.

April 29, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

I'm gonna puts the odds of them allowing bikes in the gondy the next few weeks at -344%.

I'm guessing Sunday will be pretty similar to Saturday.

April 29, 2015, 5:24 p.m.

For a good laugh: http://theteamrobot.blogspot.ca/2015/04/warning-from-team-robot.html

April 29, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

For a good laugh: http://theteamrobot.blogspot.ca/2015/04/warning-from-team-robot.html

Does he get paid by the word?

Nothing like screaming bloody murder over something he hasn't seen yet.

April 29, 2015, 7:01 p.m.

All that said, I will complain about this:

Nothing like getting rocks and dust in your face as you wait for the lift as people try to slay those berms so everyone knows how much of a fucking shredder they are.

April 29, 2015, 7:16 p.m.

Am I the only one who thinks that some of these changes will be really good and bring the advanced-but-not-expert rider a bit more back into the fold? I'm old and should probably kill myself according to Team Robot but I am not that slow. I have to admit that as the jumps have gotten bigger and bigger, my desire to huck my meat hasn't really grown with them (Crabapple? Impressive but not gonna happen for me). A lot of my riding friends have abandoned the park for all-mountain/e-word riding because they find that they can get more joy out of that than casing a bunch of jumps with blind lips. I want challenge, airtime, not to be stuck behind someone on CIU, and I don't want to get in your way on A-Line or DM either. Having jump shapes with multiple lines (like on DM) seems pretty logical as does a trail in between CIU and A-Line.

I will reserve judgement until I see the the results but it sounds pretty good to me.

April 29, 2015, 8:02 p.m.

Am I the only one who thinks that some of these changes will be really good and bring the advanced-but-not-expert rider a bit more back into the fold? I'm old and should probably kill myself according to Team Robot but I am not that slow. I have to admit that as the jumps have gotten bigger and bigger, my desire to huck my meat hasn't really grown with them (Crabapple? Impressive but not gonna happen for me). A lot of my riding friends have abandoned the park for all-mountain/e-word riding because they find that they can get more joy out of that than casing a bunch of jumps with blind lips. I want challenge, airtime, not to be stuck behind someone on CIU, and I don't want to get in your way on A-Line or DM either. Having jump shapes with multiple lines (like on DM) seems pretty logical as does a trail in between CIU and A-Line.

I will reserve judgement until I see the the results but it sounds pretty good to me.

I'm with you and I remember this exact discussion taking place in last year's bike park thread (gap from blue jump lines to A-Line/DM/FT). Mid 30's dude here just getting back into MTB, the blue jump lines are fun but not a challenge. Last season I could clear maybe half of A-Line by the end of the season but not sure I would ever hit the biggest sets (and obviously not Crapapple or the big doubles on FT etc).

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, I can't imagine they would really dumb down such an iconic run, and Finestone also references adding a gate keeper at the top (last year's you could just roll over).

April 29, 2015, 8:09 p.m.

With sales of big dh rigs dyeing out I'm sure they want to attract the am crowd on their single crown 'do everything bike'. Hitting the knuckle a few times on your am rig and you'll wreck it I'm sure. I'm betting on long mellow landings that way you can see whats in front of you, but the guys on the big bikes will blow through more travel when they hit the landing deep.

April 29, 2015, 8:29 p.m.

I enjoyed this, I laughed a bunch of times and not just in my head either. Quality. People really do lose their minds while the park is closed.

:ohthedrama::zzz:

April 29, 2015, 8:37 p.m.

Nothing like getting rocks and dust in your face as you wait for the lift as people try to slay those berms so everyone knows how much of a fucking shredder they are.

Well, bro, you will just be powdering your nose in the line a few more times before you get on the lift, then. (PS your markings on the photo looks like a dude's junk being waved over the lineup).

April 29, 2015, 8:48 p.m.

I've not ridden A-Line since 2007 and don't plan on riding it again to be honest…..but I did used to be able to clear all but I think a couple of jumps (the huge table near the end and maybe a jump with tiles and a horrible kick to it? Can't quite remember). Still, even with my 2007 skillz I'd have preferred a less DJ vibe, so slightly less severe jumps make sense to me. If I wanted dirt jumps I'd have just ridden the lines by the river….

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 29, 2015, 9:26 p.m.

With all of the berms on A line, the rock stars just have to slay that last one. Come July, August…cough, cough.

Thread killer

April 29, 2015, 10:33 p.m.

This.

I'm with you on this one.

April 30, 2015, 12:16 a.m.

Is it clear that A-Line will actually be "dumbed down"?

It sounds like the new "Crank it up more" will be the dumb A-Line.

If you read their press release a bit less pessimistically, it sounds like A-Line will be different, but not necessarily smaller. As we know them now, the jumps on Upper A-Line are mostly just standard tables, whereas Dirt Merchant, Coast Gravity Park or even lower A-Line offer much more varied "new jump shapes". So some more step-ups and step-downs, hips and gaps etc. could be a good thing and not necessarily "dumbed down".

I guess only time will tell. Two days to be exact.