Whistler Bike Park 2015

March 30, 2015, 10:03 p.m.

hey we got to help pay for those $37,000 each gondola cabins, if we get to use them, also to help make up for a crappy snow year for skiing…still a good deal in my books….wonder if we get to put bikes in the new gondies? think you could fit 4 in there no problem…

mtbskierdad

March 31, 2015, 12:16 a.m.

I know more and more whistler locals not buying bike park passes, those being people who always have in the past. I'm even struggling to justify a twilight pass at this point.

March 31, 2015, 9:34 a.m.

I have suggested a "year round pass" several times in surveys etc. Especially if it could be a monthly pre auth coming off a card. It's about $4000 a year for me and the wife just for seasons passes plus gas and all that cheap biking and skiing gear. I'm priced out of the market now. This is the first year since I moved here 6 years ago that we won't be getting bike park passes or ski passes, even though it's our favourite activities. Trail riding is free and next years edge card looks like a good buy. I need a higher paying job!

March 31, 2015, 12:19 p.m.

I know more and more whistler locals not buying bike park passes, those being people who always have in the past. I'm even struggling to justify a twilight pass at this point.

Ditto here in Squamish. I know I'm beating a dead horse and have said this before, but I think it has less to do with price, and much more to do with the fact that 90% of new trails in the last 10 years are machine built and we are getting bored of the same old singletrack year after year after year…

But the tourists love it and that's where the money is. Although I know there's quite a few international visitors that have had their fill too and are heading elsewhere on their vactions, thanks to the complete absence of Garbo singletrack expansion since it opened a decade ago.

Maybe if I keep saying it, someone will listen.

:deadhorse:

March 31, 2015, 12:48 p.m.

If only they could get Tom Pro back at the helm. Besides that,everything everyone is saying is valid. I've had a pass since the park has opened. This is the first year I'm questioning it. I'm the only one out of my 6 full time riding buddies that is considering it. They're all out. Totally bored with the park. It appears Squamish AM riding is stealing everyones hearts. Now if they opened up the creekside zone or maybe the lower part of Blackcomb, all bets would be off. People are definitely wanting some new trails

March 31, 2015, 1:19 p.m.

Ditto here in Squamish. I know I'm beating a dead horse and have said this before, but I think it has less to do with price, and much more to do with the fact that 90% of new trails in the last 10 years are machine built and we are getting bored of the same old singletrack year after year after year…

But the tourists love it and that's where the money is. Although I know there's quite a few international visitors that have had their fill too and are heading elsewhere on their vactions, thanks to the complete absence of Garbo singletrack expansion since it opened a decade ago.

Is this a problem? People from other places are absolutely enamoured with the park. And good for them! They aren't as jaded as we are. They can come here, love the park but not for so long that they're not excited to come back, spend money at our favourite businesses and generally enriching us all while we pedal our elitist butts up to the wicked trails up and down the valley. Seems like a win/win to me.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 31, 2015, 3:49 p.m.

I'm bucking the trend here, this is the first year since arriving in 2007 that I have even considered a park pass.

I blame it on spring bike lust and wanting to improve my bike handling with mileage.

March 31, 2015, 4:11 p.m.

I love riding the park, even busting some laps on the hardtail for giggles after riding the surrounding trails in the AM on the way back in. But, the price is getting steep… Especially considering I would like to get my children passes.

March 31, 2015, 7:44 p.m.

I love the park,and my son is buying his own pass this year. So its half price for me this year.:rocker:

April 7, 2015, 11:43 p.m.

all of my riding buddies that buy triple play passes and add days or seasons passes are all out for this year. with gas prices added in and CGP just a short drive and ferry away its pretty tempting

April 8, 2015, 6:05 a.m.

all of my riding buddies that buy triple play passes and add days or seasons passes are all out for this year. with gas prices added in and CGP just a short drive and ferry away its pretty tempting

Dunno …. the math doesn't add up for me, especially for regular travel. Depends on where you are driving from to get to the ferry/Whistler. Its about $100 for 1 person and 1 car (before gas) to get to the SSC, which you can split it by ride-sharing (like Whistler). The CGP isn't much cheaper than the WBP (season pass is more - but its open for most of the year), and the number and length of tails (last time I checked - there are some bigger plans in the works, I think) is a fraction of WBP Fitz zone alone. Of course the SSC has more than CGP, just like Whistler offers more than just the Bike Park.

I think Whistler is focusing its attention more on the Destination out-of-province/international crowd who probably spend much more money per capita when in town than locals/lower mainlanders.

April 8, 2015, 11:11 a.m.

Dunno …. the math doesn't add up for me, especially for regular travel. Depends on where you are driving from to get to the ferry/Whistler. Its about $100 for 1 person and 1 car (before gas) to get to the SSC, which you can split it by ride-sharing (like Whistler). The CGP isn't much cheaper than the WBP (season pass is more - but its open for most of the year), and the number and length of tails (last time I checked - there are some bigger plans in the works, I think) is a fraction of WBP Fitz zone alone. Of course the SSC has more than CGP, just like Whistler offers more than just the Bike Park.

I think Whistler is focusing its attention more on the Destination out-of-province/international crowd who probably spend much more money per capita when in town than locals/lower mainlanders.

I'm with you on this one. Depending on vehicle and number of people, transport to Whistler is actually cheaper than CGP (4 people 1 vehicle: Whistler = $25-50 on gas divided by 4 = $6-$13/person, CGP = $5-10 on gas plus $100ish ferry = $25-30/person). It's also faster at 75-90 minutes vs. 120min and you don't have the risk of ferry selling out in the summer.

With the 5/10 day WBP passes the per day ticket cost is also less than CGP ($49.99, although I think they have cheaper 10 packs?).

CGP is great for what it is, the vibe is more laid back than Whistler and the condition of the trails is generally much better. Downsides are it is way smaller, I went twice this winter and will maybe go back once later in the summer when they have more stuff built as it just doesn't have the size or variety to draw me back. Caveat is I'm an intermediate so I don't ride the big jump line (Flight Deck/Coastal Cruise), all the other trails are super fun but short compared to WBP. I think making a weekend out of the SSC with one day CGP and one day Roberts Creek is the way to do it.

I ended up with 3 unused days on my winter 10 day EDGE card when the spring deal kicked in, so I'll be buying a 5 day WBP which will get me 9 days total including the early season freebie. That plus a trip to Silver Star and a day or two at CGP should be adequate bike parkage for this year :)

April 8, 2015, 11:49 a.m.

I like getting off the coast so I still end up going to WBP.

Didn't use any of my edge card this year so I have 10 days to use at WBP and 3 remaining on my CGP crowdfunding tickets. Will likely get a 420 pass when those run out though

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 8, 2015, 5:48 p.m.

You definitely see more tourists (out of towners) in the line up as well as more beginners the last few seasons. I always grimace when I see people wearing jeans riding a rental bike saying they're gonna rip up the trails. Trouble with a capital T.

Thread killer

April 9, 2015, 1:57 p.m.

Hey nickel, any idea if Crud2Mud can happen this year?