Whistler Bike Park 2015

Feb. 17, 2015, 2:06 p.m.

Opening May 15th. Seems late but excited to see the announcement.

Feb. 17, 2015, 3:27 p.m.

Opening May 15th. Seems late but excited to see the announcement.

Its the same day as every year - Friday of the May long weekend. I hope they don't increase prices again … probably futile in this case.

Feb. 17, 2015, 3:35 p.m.

I say late because of the current snow pack. Earlier seems possible.

Feb. 17, 2015, 3:47 p.m.

people are already riding some of the trails from what I've heard/seen

Feb. 17, 2015, 4:41 p.m.

^Definitely saw some fresh looking tracks in the mud while riding Fitz today

Feb. 18, 2015, 2:11 a.m.

ohh I missed it.

Corporate Gift Ideas|Corporate Gifts Gurgaon|Customised Gifts|Customized Pen Drives

Feb. 18, 2015, 11:49 a.m.

I say late because of the current snow pack. Earlier seems possible.

I readily admit I don't know anything about Whistler behind-the-scenes. But my own understanding is that seasonal openings tend to be more dependent on things like long-ago scheduled pre- and post-preparations and personnel availability/hirings/contracts. Given the gambles of opening early, I doubt an early opening will add significantly (if at all) to their bottom line when balanced against extended hiring and maintenance costs. (Yes, its a cold calculus my friend). Same with late closure (we have had some spectacular weather in mid-late October recently). I suspect they would elect to go with cost certainty before trusting the weather to bring in more paying customers.

Of course, I suppose anything is possible, and the opening day may slowly shift if certain weather trends (cough!cough!) become obvious with the passage of time.

Feb. 18, 2015, 1:10 p.m.

I readily admit I don't know anything about Whistler behind-the-scenes. But my own understanding is that seasonal openings tend to be more dependent on things like long-ago scheduled pre- and post-preparations and personnel availability/hirings/contracts. Given the gambles of opening early, I doubt an early opening will add significantly (if at all) to their bottom line when balanced against extended hiring and maintenance costs. (Yes, its a cold calculus my friend). Same with late closure (we have had some spectacular weather in mid-late October recently). I suspect they would elect to go with cost certainty before trusting the weather to bring in more paying customers.

Of course, I suppose anything is possible, and the opening day may slowly shift if certain weather trends (cough!cough!) become obvious with the passage of time.

I've heard murmurings that they are looking at opening early this year. Something along the lines of, if the ski out closes due to lack of snow, we may consider opening on weekends.

It does seem like a hell of a lot of work to get the trails ready. Is Nickel still around on the boards, maybe his start date has been brought forward.

Feb. 18, 2015, 1:25 p.m.

I mean, it could snow in march, but this high pressure ridging looks like it's going to remain pretty prominent for the rest of the winter….temperatures on the long range are just holding steady warm too, and I mean, people are already riding stuff off the Flank on the westside, among other mid-elevation trails…..

Feb. 24, 2015, 1:24 p.m.

Looks cold beginning of march. Who knows if snow will fall in the valley, but trails are certainly pretty devoid of snow below top of fitz. Opening date is way above my pay grade, but clearing snow doesn't look too challenging as of right now. Bring on the Bike Park!

Feb. 24, 2015, 5:41 p.m.

Looks cold beginning of march. Who knows if snow will fall in the valley, but trails are certainly pretty devoid of snow below top of fitz. Opening date is way above my pay grade, but clearing snow doesn't look too challenging as of right now. Bring on the Bike Park!

Stick a fork in winter. It's fucking done.

I've worked on my bike this weekend. Please let them know I'm ready to go. While you're telling them that, can you ask them why they release the prices for next seasons winter seasons pass before this seasons bike park pass?

All that said, I've got to imagine a full ski-out is huge on their, "we-really-fucking-need-that" list. Some of the downloading lines this year have been shitkicking crazy.

Feb. 24, 2015, 7:31 p.m.

I can't wait. Got my new Sixc 35mm bar and Atlas DM stem! New cockpit has me excited!

Rode some trails in the valley this weekend and they were great. Awesome being on the bike.

Feb. 24, 2015, 8:59 p.m.

All that said, I've got to imagine a full ski-out is huge on their, "we-really-fucking-need-that" list.

While accurate and on point, this would be a major understatement.

Feb. 24, 2015, 11 p.m.

What is a "ski-out"?

Feb. 24, 2015, 11:08 p.m.

What is a "ski-out"?

To be able to ski to the bottom of the hill as opposed to waiting in a large line at the top to take the gondola down.