Whistler Bike Park 2015

Oct. 11, 2015, 10:41 p.m.

WH, see my posts on that earlier in the thread. Tread carefully :)

That said, all but one of my seven afternoon attempts at Dirty were sabotaged by people trying to check off some box before the season ended so things are definitely running outside the norm right now. Mix that in with the general malaise that the park is over tomorrow and it's a recipe for angst.

Anyone else see that older grom try the step down on LCO? My stomach sank when I saw him come down the rock face.. As soon as my brain said, "He's going for it" I was getting ready to yell rider down. As did the chair behind me. Think he snapped a crank arm, but by the time I got there all was clear. Bikeparkphotos didn't differentiate between a nine mile case and a svelte landing (he was the last photo taken).

Shoulder season doesn't need to exist. Tell guest services.

Oct. 11, 2015, 11:02 p.m.

That sucks. I've found myself behind those floaty groms before and it'd weird seeing them fly like that. Really, what kind of a douchebag yells at a kid? Fuck you physics! Fuck you that I'm old and fat.

Great day to finish for the season with the boy. Showed up to huge lines around 12:30. Headed straight up to Garbo and did 3 laps up there with no crowds. Couple of Freight Train trains, but that's about it. Rode right on the lift. FT, Una Moss, 7 year, No Joke, Freight Train/Sidetrack so good.

Then rode the lower mountain until closing with shorter and shorter lines. Other than one pinhead forcing the boy low on a corner and passing while yelling profanities at him on DM, a good last day. That chokes me, as that boy can clear the whole trail now, but just doesn't carry the rolling speed us fatties do. I can't even figure out how the groms can clear all the jumps and step-downs at the speeds they can carry; they have so much pop and ride so loose. You just run into an aggro-dork every now and again…. Too bad it's so damn fun and most guys are usually stoked to see the kids clearing it; far more high fives than trash talk this season. Lower mountain single track was tacky and fast this afternoon. Schleyer and Joyride, as well as Funshine, Bluseum, and Devil's Club all great end of season riding.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Oct. 12, 2015, 12:09 a.m.

Hey Kevin26, did I read somewhere that you teach at the BP? If so we're you working at the end of the day? I may have met you.

With global warming the bike park should stay open to November. Even if it's just Fitz chair. The lines agree with me.

It was fucking cold on the flow trails in Garbo. But I'm old.

LCO is tits. That step down is so nice.

i keep asking myself when I'm going to get bored of this place but it seems as far away as ever.

On a side note, I softened my forks low and high speed compression damping and juiced my low speed and high speed shock rebound settings and have fully cleared the third mid alone jump. Once.

I'm onto something.

Yeah!? Riding the lift or what? Today coached till about 4:30 then squeezed in 2 laps after!

One more day… Over 1300 laps according to the validation people a bit insane how much that is haha, I think it might be from when it switched to the RFID passes last September which would make more sense but still a lot… Been such a fun year; progression I've seen with DFX club and the women's nights programs this year have blown me away I want to fast forward to next summer!

I hear you on the never getting bored part; I love exploring new xc/am/enduro stuff as much as anyone and ride outside of the park 50% of the time but I still love doing laps and trying to nail things better every time… Been hooked on ho chi min lately can't get enough of those corners, so much fun!

Schleyer Dwayne ho chi lower Canadian current favourite lap lol

Oct. 12, 2015, 7:32 a.m.

That sucks. I've found myself behind those floaty groms before and it'd weird seeing them fly like that. Really, what kind of a douchebag yells at a kid? Fuck you physics! Fuck you that I'm old and fat.

Don't think I saw many fat people today… and if I were to guess I'd say it'd be a 20-something kid who owns the bike park. Lot's of pro-trains on the flow trails and a lot of loud talking and swagger in the lift lines.

But I couldn't agree more. Either stop and wait, or sit down and ride it out.

Oct. 12, 2015, 7:37 a.m.

Yeah!? Riding the lift or what? Today coached till about 4:30 then squeezed in 2 laps after!

I asked if you can teach me how to scrub ;)

And damn at your number of scans… I got somewhere around 440. But I got a couple of pics of me hitting the step down on LCO yesterday so that'll keep me going till next year.

Oct. 12, 2015, 2:13 p.m.

Hey Kevin26… Are you summer and fall DFX coach? My son is Nico and was in Luke's spring and summer DFX and Dom's fall group. If you're that Kevin, then the boy knows you well!

Park is dead today. No mass aggro trains! Despite my batching, the general park vibe this year has been great for the groms. Like Reductimat said, just a few 20-somethings with unfilled agendas trying to unload their testosterone for the season.

Oct. 12, 2015, 5:36 p.m.

Good last afternoon riding for me today. sold my downhill bike so rode my Chromag today B line and blue tech is so fast on the small bike!

Oct. 12, 2015, 8:34 p.m.

Thought I'd only be getting in one victory lap today but came out with 15.

What a day, what a season.

Good job Nickel and crew.

Now we just need to extend the season.

Oct. 12, 2015, 10:13 p.m.

Agreed they could keep the park open until the snow gets low enough, they open while skiing is still on in the spring why not have biking until the lower runs are fill in with snow? Would keep more people employed longer and have a less of a dead season round these parts. Whistler wants to be a four season resort but more like 3 1/2 seasons as between Canadian Thanksgiving and opening weekend its slow as fuck round here….

mtbskierdad

Oct. 13, 2015, 12:17 p.m.

Had a blast every day I made it out for this my second season riding WBP. Thank you nickel and crew for the hard work with the dry summer. Feeling a bit sad cleaning up the DH bike and putting it away for the winter. I might get out to CGP once or twice but I actually prefer riding my trail bike there and tacking on some Roberts Creek action.

Maybe it's time to start exploring Cypress…

Oct. 13, 2015, 10:33 p.m.

This berm, and all the others after it were works of art.

Stu: I'm still in the fetal position crying