Whistler Bike Park 2015

May 4, 2015, 8:08 a.m.

Hah, I was waiting for a buddy and saw you snap this pic, kid looks stoked!

Great first day of the season today, barely any lines all day for some reason. New CIU is pretty neutered (you could ride the middle part below Fantastic, upper and lower sections were closed). Lots of rollers with one or two decent jumps. Lower A-Line, not sure what they did to that one jump after the woods section, feels like a big roller… last hit is fine though. Spent more time on tech than jumping today and had a blast, so nice to get in a ton of vert in one day.

He was pretty stoked. He was tallying all the pros he saw and some talked to. Finn Isles, Berrecloth, Wallace. He claims he saw Bruni, but not sure if he'd be here during the WC break?

I was skiing with the freestyle kids, but Mrs. WH and the boy had a great day. They agreed the CIU was neutered and are looking forward to the new Crank it More. They were sad that the step down/fall-away on HoD was gone. They spent most of the day on tech as well. Angry Pirate, Ninja, Karate, etc were all running well. He worked up to a couple laps of Schleyer/WC DH by end of day. He loves the WC slabs. I think well reviewed overall.

May 4, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

For a good laugh: http://theteamrobot.blogspot.ca/2015/04/warning-from-team-robot.html

I enjoyed this, I laughed a bunch of times and not just in my head either. Quality. People really do lose their minds while the park is closed.

:ohthedrama::zzz:

So now that people have ridden A-Line what is the word?

Is it going to be clogged with Joey's? Did WBP bring an end to the much loved A-Line?

Or did Charlie just bash out some long winded rant about a trail he's never seen based on over analyzing a couple words from a marketing clip?

May 4, 2015, 12:57 p.m.

Is it going to be clogged with Joey's? Did WBP bring an end to the much loved A-Line?

Or did Charlie just bash out some long winded rant about a trail he's never seen based on over analyzing a couple words from a marketing clip?

Only Lower A-Line was open on the weekend, the very first super small jump on Upper A-Line is flattened, and there's a new "starting platform" in place of the second jump in between the trees. On Lower A-Line, bridge hip over EZ Does It is still the same size, and so is the final jump/hip. The long and low in between is just a roller now. Maybe just Upper A-Line is joeyfied?

:japan:

May 4, 2015, 4:30 p.m.

Aline won't be open for a while is my guess. Still looking pretty soft at the open. The new squirrel catcher is better. No need to sprint to make that stupid ass jump.

Dirty was running fantastic today. As I mentioned on Saturday the drops are death and were blocked off. Had to take the Rutabaga line and do a hard left up the step up.

Lower Aline was shutdown on Sunday and was still today. Didn't really notice a difference from the end of last season other than some holes filled in.

The Family cross build started today and the speed at which they were going I wouldn't be surprised if it's running this weekend. Fast builders.

It's going to be tough keeping speed at the beginning of HoD to hit the big jump given that everyone likes holding a party there. The rest of it is pretty nuked. Think easy does it with two side hits. Given that it's pretty much a mandatory ride I can empathize.

Not sure why the middle jump of the last three of Lower Aline was replaced with a hill. As a big dude I need all the speed I can get to clear that last kicker. I used to like to hit that far left and hip to the right. It seems the only lip left is about six inches right in the middle.

Three days in and all I can think about is when I can go back.

May 4, 2015, 7:01 p.m.

Was an awesome weekend in the park. Rode mostly tech too. But then I mostly do and only hit upper and lower a-line and lower DM when Garbo is open. Schelyer to Clownshoes was prime. So fast and dusty in places already.

Nice to see Stevie Smith, Claw and co all in the the line-up like everyone else and not using their pro status to get quick laps in.

May 4, 2015, 8:25 p.m.

Was an awesome weekend in the park. Rode mostly tech too. But then I mostly do and only hit upper and lower a-line and lower DM when Garbo is open. Schelyer to Clownshoes was prime. So fast and dusty in places already.

Nice to see Stevie Smith, Claw and co all in the the line-up like everyone else and not using their pro status to get quick laps in.

I saw them jump the line atleast once. I think Tippie had just given them a gopro to film some trails though so that might have been why.

May 4, 2015, 9:31 p.m.

Yeah it was fun up there today! All the changes make sense and are fine. Fade to black was better than ever.

May 5, 2015, 10:27 a.m.

Aline won't be open for a while is my guess. Still looking pretty soft at the open. The new squirrel catcher is better. No need to sprint to make that stupid ass jump.

It's going to be tough keeping speed at the beginning of HoD to hit the big jump given that everyone likes holding a party there. The rest of it is pretty nuked. Think easy does it with two side hits. Given that it's pretty much a mandatory ride I can empathize.

Three days in and all I can think about is when I can go back.

Granted we've only seen it from the lift, but the A-line start ramp/squirrel catcher looks pretty tame (maybe 1-2 foot drop from ramp to dirt?) I guess the new vision is progression from Blue Velvet/CIU-More, so having an easier entrance than Dirt Merchant makes sense. And people can/will cut into other sections of A-Line lower down anyway so it's a moot point.

Agree on HoD. I'm also a big guy and it was my first day on a new DH bike, but I was pretty much sprinting from the water tower to clear the left side of that first jump. Sucks they took the fade away before the berm out, that was always fun.

What's the progression around Schleyer? I scouted/rode it for the first time on Sunday and loved it, the rock lines are so fun and the clean run-outs made them less intimidating than I was expecting. I would say it's right at the line of my ability to ride safely. Other stuff I like is Lower Whistler DH, Afternoon Delight, Angry Pirate, No Joke and Duffman… Haven't tried O-Sin, Fatcrobat, Too Tight, Technoir, McKenzie or any other double blacks yet… wondering what's next?

Can't wait to get back up there, so addicting and fun.

May 5, 2015, 10:43 a.m.

Detroit rock city would be one to check out, starting from lower Whistler DH after the fade away skips the hardest part. Upper Whistler DH and upper joyride are a bit of a step up from schleyer, can always do the first couple rolls of joyride then go back on schleyer as well. Once Garbo opens check out o-sin for sure, McKenzie is actually pretty easy just tight and awkward, too tight is similar to upper angry pirate. In deep to fatcrobat is sweet too, joining in deep in the second section from blue velvet skips the hardest part.

May 6, 2015, noon

Detroit rock city would be one to check out, starting from lower Whistler DH after the fade away skips the hardest part. Upper Whistler DH and upper joyride are a bit of a step up from schleyer, can always do the first couple rolls of joyride then go back on schleyer as well. Once Garbo opens check out o-sin for sure, McKenzie is actually pretty easy just tight and awkward, too tight is similar to upper angry pirate. In deep to fatcrobat is sweet too, joining in deep in the second section from blue velvet skips the hardest part.

Looked at some POV footage of Detroit Rock City, definitely a step up from Schleyer on some of those moves (ladder to rock drop etc.) but I think I'll get there by the end of the summer. Thanks for the info on the Garbo runs, can't wait to get up there in June.

May 6, 2015, 12:10 p.m.

Yeah that's why I suggest joining the trail after the fade-away, skips that ladder drop at the beginning

May 6, 2015, 12:32 p.m.

Yeah that's why I suggest joining the trail after the fade-away, skips that ladder drop at the beginning

That ladder drop is difficult. You come off of it into a rough rock section that is tough to handle. Not to mention falling off to the right is not an option.

Thread killer

May 8, 2015, 8:49 p.m.

Dirty rock drop is open and running fine. In fact Dirty is all time right now as is to be expected.

Lower aline drop is still closed and I have to pedal like a fucker to clear the jump after the drop. Hopefully it's open tomorrow as they say Upper is good to go.

Nickel, any chance you guys can put a bigger lip on the very last lower ALine jump? It's kinda shit right now.. at least for us fuckers over 200.

May 8, 2015, 10:32 p.m.

Should add, upper CIU opened so I did a rip. Not much has really changed… that stupid box after the wall rides is gone, the wall rides are actually more flowy and the liability jump before the wallrides is gone.

Also, the high speed jump is gone but I'm not really sure how/where it was… only noticed it when I didn't hit it.

I think only three jumps need to be scrubbed if on the trail if you don't use your brakes, but don't quote me on that.

May 9, 2015, 4:33 a.m.

Nickel, any chance you guys can put a bigger lip on the very last lower ALine jump? It's kinda shit right now.. at least for us fuckers over 200.

Request politely denied. I am a fucker over 200 and it is easy for me to get over. In fact I've started hiping again. You'll get it.