Whistler bike camp experience

July 13, 2015, 1:03 a.m.

Anyone been to one of these?

I've been riding on and off for quite a number of years, but never developed the confidence to go fast and launch off jumps. I've ridden whistler a in the a number of times as well and mainly do blue runs when I'm up there.

Does anyone know if there's like a 5 day bike camp at Whistler that will teach you all the proper techniques and what not to help me progress?

Can anyone here share their experience? I also wouldn't mind staying up there for a few days or so.

July 13, 2015, 8:34 a.m.

I went to the adult camp at summer gravity camps. I went in 2010 and 2011, if I could afford go every year I would. The first day is spent teaching cornering and body position, as the week progresses they coach you through different things depending on the skill of the group you are in. The group I was in the second year I went were pretty advanced, with the exception of one rider… he got traded to another group. All the coaches ask every day if there is a particalar skill or feature you are or the group are having issues with. Each time skills are worked on and features ridden. I would highly recmommend attending.

total scam. he put food before beer.

July 13, 2015, 10:34 a.m.

I went in 2011 and 2012 to SGC. All that Roaster the Toaster said above.

Some of the take aways that you get are: body positioning, feet positioning, where to look, how to enter a berm, how to read a hit/ramp/jump, line choice, suspension concepts, ect…

Every coach has a great attitude and style. But notably, every coach actually says and explains the same theory or concepts… so it does not matter which coach you get… I heard the same things from all of them.

So it is really good. You need to pace yourself in these long week camps as by the end you are knackerd. I learned so much, it took my riding and enjoyment up to the next level.

Talk less, Say More.

July 13, 2015, 2:57 p.m.

Haven't been to SGC but I've heard it's awesome.

I always chime in on these threads to pitch the two day Elevation Camps put on by WBP. I did one last year and one so far this year (might do another). You end up in a group of 5-6 per instructor and work on everything from fundamental skills/drills to jump technique, line choice, rock rolls, drops etc. Both times I have improved skills and more importantly mental confidence. $209 for ~16 hours of coached riding is a steal of a deal in my opinion.

July 13, 2015, 4:06 p.m.

I do coaching for the mountain (though mostly dfx these days), for a 5 day camp you should look in to adult week at summer gravity camp. Also the group lessons do a 3 for 2 deal, which can be quite a bargain especially if you need rental and tickets too. The new elevation camps are a 2 day camp on a few weekends through the year, kind of to replace the old schleyer camps as a weekend option those are pretty rad. Outside of W/B zep techniques and arbutus routes do a good job, I don't know a ton about others.

July 14, 2015, 8:28 p.m.

I did the SGC a few years ago. Good times. Only real downside is you are pretty beat after about three or four days. And accidents happen when you get tired.

I think a few of the progression days spread out would be the ticket.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

July 14, 2015, 9:22 p.m.

Two SGC's for me. One when I was brand fucking new to the sport, and then one where I was post near-death accident from the park.

One fucker came straight from China and broke his arm on the first jump on B-Line before the rolled it over. My advice as the above, pace yourself if you're going to do it. It's so easy to get in over your head if you aren't careful, which can be very rewarding or a trip to see Dr. Remple.

It's never a bad decision to go to Whistler for a long period of time.

July 15, 2015, 10:13 a.m.

I'm doing the 2-day elevation camp Aug 1-2. I also considered the 5 day camp, but opted out for a couple of reasons: 1) The expense and 2) I'm usually pretty beat up after just 2 days in the bike park (mainly hands/fingers and wrists).

I'll report back on the 2-day camp.