Whistler 2014 Trail Conditions - not in the bike park

Nov. 20, 2014, 11:59 a.m.

With all the talk of Kashmir and limited time yesterday, I thought the Kashmir, Kush, BC Trail combo would be a brilliant way to end off this stretch of amazing riding weather.

The beauty of the velcro frozen gravel on service roads is climbability. If I were strava-fied, I'd have crushed it. First time I've been able to clean the full ride from Creekside, up to KadenWoods, and up to Kush without a slip-out or fail. I'll be honest, I stopped for a breather and to check a text at the Home Run/ Microwave Road junction. Other than that, the road was like glue (and a few cautious ice slicks).

The climb from Kush to Kashmir is still brutal and no amount of traction would get me over the last hump. Views are still great, but where the fk is the snow? I'm guessing there is snow at this elevation as of this morning?

Kashmir and Kush were brilliant. And yes, I was reminded how uppie/downie Kashmir is. No EWS there. But man that trail is fun. With the frozen hero duff, it was sort of almost flowy. Kush certainly gets more traffic, but it still ran really well and fast in these conditions. Just didn't want to go down, so I didn't.

After Kush I was going to head over toward the Microwave tower to try out some other stuff, but time was short, so I headed to middle and lower BC Trail. Holy trailwork on middle. That was a glorious fast romp and the drainage and erosion nightmares of a bike park season seem to have been tidied up. The new bridges were "robust" to say the least. Lower BC had no new work, but given that it's largely flowy little rock slabs and mini-drops, it's pretty robust down there. I was bad-mouthing BC's a while back, but I ate my words yesterday.

I'm sure this is all covered with snow today:

Glad I was able to get it while the getting was so good.

Nov. 20, 2014, 2:11 p.m.

BC's was totally in need of that revamp it got this summer, I hadn't ridden it in years because it was so shit! :) and here ya on the Kashmir climb, always a total kick in the gut/lungs/heart/etc!

Dec. 2, 2014, 7:53 p.m.

Ripped around on a fat bike I rented from the Patagonia store, was awesome at lost lake and cut yer bars, although most of the way on cut yer bars was snow free, no fat bike required

Dec. 9, 2014, 12:17 p.m.

anyone been riding in Whistler? i havent been out since hte last valley snow (Wednesday i think). I feel like after this rain we might be good to go again on some of the lower stuff?

Dec. 9, 2014, 9:05 p.m.

There is not taht much snow around the 1100m meter mark. Lots of ice on the road which made for difficult climbing. Lots of water moving around, but i think the wet weather options might be good to go. Would love to hear if Billy Epic [HTML_REMOVED] Howler are rideable…

Dec. 9, 2014, 9:10 p.m.

Winds hit 160km/hr at the roundhouse and 180km/hr on the peaks. Watch out for branches.

Dec. 12, 2014, 10:16 p.m.

Rode Pura Vida today. 50:50 snow/dirt above the flank, but zero ice or snow on the trail!

Dec. 15, 2014, 3:28 p.m.

Pura vida today was awesome. BC trail is mainly snow for the first half. Not sure how. must be something to do with the mini valley / gorge that it is in.
Crazy train yesterday was excellent too.

Dec. 15, 2014, 3:45 p.m.

Pura vida today was awesome. BC trail is mainly slow for the first half. Not sure how.
Crazy train yesterday was excellent too.

nice, I walked highside yesterday with the dog, it's fully clear, no damage from the rains, a big tree down right at the bottom of see colours, however.

Dec. 16, 2014, 9:31 a.m.

Planning on being up over the xmas break. Good to see a bit more snow coming in this weekend, but with the base being where it's at, can't see myself skiing more then a few days (unless it really picks up).

Question is whether I could/should bring a hardtail up and if there is anything rideable (zappa loops?).

Dec. 16, 2014, 9:40 a.m.

Planning on being up over the xmas break. Good to see a bit more snow coming in this weekend, but with the base being where it's at, can't see myself skiing more then a few days (unless it really picks up).

Question is whether I could/should bring a hardtail up and if there is anything rideable (zappa loops?).

lots rideable, but the skiing is actually pretty decent in the alpine, as hard as that is to believe since there's almost nothing up until the top of creekside gondy…

Dec. 30, 2014, 8:44 p.m.

There are a couple of fat bikes for rent at Comor.
Where would be a good trail to take them for a quick ride?
Do they allow bikes in the Lost Lake trails in the winter?
Thanks..

Dec. 30, 2014, 9:55 p.m.

Hey tonight I rented one from the Patagonia store and rode all the blue zappas, was awesome. Think next time might be fun to go up Rick roost across the flank down 27 switchbacks, hopefully some foot traffic to make it easier