Whistler 2013 Bike Park Conditions

Sept. 14, 2013, 8:05 p.m.

No, I think you have a valid point. There is definitely a jump from those two blue trails to the black ones. What's your thought on the second HOD jump? Can you clear that easily? I wish there were more of those ones on the blue trails. I think that's a good in-betweener.

The second HOD jump is one of my favorite jumps on the mountain and I clear it every time basically. Is that equivalent to A-line? The tables on A-line look a lot longer than that from what I see in videos/pictures.

Sept. 14, 2013, 8:06 p.m.

the first step up on DM is the only one you need to really brake for,even then just hip it to the left more……. its not meant to ripped apart at mach schnell, its a jump trail

But then it becomes challenging/borderline dangerous to hit the second step down set-back. The second step-up also asks you to stay low or you end up pedaling at the next drop. Also, it's not really about going faster, not at all. Just not having to suck up so many of the jumps. It's pretty fun to not brake and just float a jump.

anyone know why the took that little step down out that was just before that first step up on DM? it seemed to work well and had nice flow it it…..

You said it Bryan, I don't think there's an answer though…

… couldn't make the step-up to the trail junction area today. Gotta find more speed from somewhere (or the mud needs to dry). I know as uncool as this sounds, but B-line is just butter smooth. If all you want to do is flow, flow, flow …

A big goal of the FT rebuild was to dump speed elsewhere than into a pile of braking bumps. The fact that you have to work a bit for the last step-up I think should be good, as you said the trail is still soft, and in the past it was possible to land well past halfway across the staging area. B-line will never be uncool. It might be the most awesome trail on the mountain. It can be so many things to so many people.

The kicker after that is fucking big. Maybe not crabapple big, but fucking big for this old man. I hope I'll be able to clear it this year, but if not, there's always next.

Glad you like FT, we're pretty pumped too! The new A-line jump is exactly 1 foot bigger than the previous biggest jump on A-line (seriously). For reference, the 3 big jumps on Crabapple are each over 10 feet bigger than the new A-line hit. If this helps your mind game, the new jump is also incredibly easy. It has such a long take off that no preloading or popping is required, just rail the corner above, maybe throw a fear pedal or two in, then just relax and ride off the take off. It's just a head game because it's 20 feet tall and takes up your entire field of view! ;)

Sept. 14, 2013, 8:11 p.m.

New Freight Train below the containers is really big compared to before. Seems like this is a good upgrade for advanced riders but not so good for developing intermediate riders like myself! I am at a point where I can easily clear everything on CIU and BV and I had been using lower FT as my next stepping stone but those new jumps are out of my comfort zone for sure… would be nice if there was something to fill the gap between CIU/BV and then DM/A-line type trails…. I've actually never even attempted A-line so not sure how big the difference is - maybe I am just building it up too much in my mind.

Are you hitting and comfortably nailing every set-back and optional jump on CIU and BV? That's the stepping stone. They teach you all the new skills like bigger air, hipping, and push the comfort zone. If you are legitimately hitting all the blue setbacks properly (as in not casing) then you're ready for DM/A-line/FT. FT has just been brought into line with the rating that's been on it all along.

Sept. 14, 2013, 8:14 p.m.

Are you hitting and comfortably nailing every set-back and optional jump on CIU and BV? That's the stepping stone. They teach you all the new skills like bigger air, hipping, and push the comfort zone. If you are legitimately hitting all the blue setbacks properly (as in not casing) then you're ready for DM/A-line/FT. FT has just been brought into line with the rating that's been on it all along.

Yeah I guess I haven't really been hitting the optional parts as much - maybe that should be my next goal.

Sept. 14, 2013, 8:20 p.m.

Yeah I guess I haven't really been hitting the optional parts as much - maybe that should be my next goal.

It's why they're there! Have fun with it and I'm sure you'll be moving on up in no time. Don't build it up in your head too much either. Also for reference, second HOD hit is fun and has a real take-off but in terms of length, it's tiny, which is why it's got a scrub groove on the edges of the take-off from people squashing it.

Sept. 14, 2013, 8:33 p.m.

What's your thought on the second HOD jump? Can you clear that easily? I wish there were more of those ones on the blue trails. I think that's a good in-betweener.

Totally agree with you on this one! While I can do A-Line reasonably competently I'm really not all that into it. I'd rather see a trail littered with jumps like the 2nd on HOD. Blue Velvet is kind of like this and I really like the trail despite a couple of awkward sections but bloody hell the braking bumps were bad on Wednesday! Destroyed my hands big time! When BV was smooth I could have run it all day!

Sept. 15, 2013, 9:09 a.m.

Totally agree with you on this one! While I can do A-Line reasonably competently I'm really not all that into it. I'd rather see a trail littered with jumps like the 2nd on HOD. Blue Velvet is kind of like this and I really like the trail despite a couple of awkward sections but bloody hell the braking bumps were bad on Wednesday! Destroyed my hands big time! When BV was smooth I could have run it all day!

I have mixed feelings about BV - on one hand it's probably my go-to trail on the mountain, but on the other I don't particularly love any of the sections of the trail. I like the re-work on the first top section because I can actually hit the new jumps confidently with lots of speed - I also like the straight fast section with the jumps, step ups and step downs (that ends with the big wooden banked turn thing) but all the breakbumps throughout the top half of BV really give my hands/body a beating. I like the section formally called "black velvet" but I have trouble carrying speed around certain parts of that section and none of the jumps are particularly large. The new bottom section of the trail is really nice and smooth and fun to ride but I wish there were some bigger jumps on there to practice on in terms of working my way up to A-line. The lower section of FT below the containers was my favorite section in terms of practicing bigger jumps but the new ones are too big for my skill level! I guess Side Track is decent in terms of jump size to use as a bridge from CIU/BV to A-line.

Sept. 15, 2013, 9:46 a.m.

The rework on Aline is nice but caught me out a bit the first go around. Got the new table on the second attempt. It is perfectly shaped,no brakes out of the right hand super berm and maybe a pedal stroke and you're gold.

The new freight train jumps are nice,but will take me a few times to feel them out going into the trail intersection. Kind of liked that section better with the step down to step up.

Nice work on the trails.

Blue velvet is great but the top section is fairly fast so newbs brake a lot. Best solution is to lay off your brakes if your hands are getting sore! :-)

Sept. 15, 2013, 11:26 a.m.

Blue velvet is great but the top section is fairly fast so newbs brake a lot. Best solution is to lay off your brakes if your hands are getting sore! :-)

Take on the braking bumps as a challenge … find the fastest, smoothest line through. Hard-braking newbs seem to take particular high-traffic lines (eg 3/4 way up the berms) and there is quite often a smoothest line through that is relatively bump free. You can also hit jumps at a slight angle to avoid the big holes where most riders typically end up.

Here is some spray-on skin for blistered hands … a rubbery liquid bandage

Sept. 15, 2013, 5:43 p.m.

it was awesome today

Sept. 15, 2013, 5:59 p.m.

it was awesome today

How was the drive home today? Village was f'in packed on Saturday.

Sept. 15, 2013, 6:05 p.m.

Was gonna come up today, but with thundershowers possibly closing the lifts [HTML_REMOVED] the Garbo race going on, thought I'd pass. I guess during the week now, the Garbo chair is closed? Do you have to upload on the Gondi then take the fire road down?

Thread killer

Sept. 15, 2013, 6:14 p.m.

Was gonna come up today, but with thundershowers possibly closing the lifts [HTML_REMOVED] the Garbo race going on, thought I'd pass. I guess during the week now, the Garbo chair is closed? Do you have to upload on the Gondi then take the fire road down?

This. Fuck meteorologists. Assholes.

Garbo is only running on the weekend. How much do you love your Una Moss? Of all the things I'd like them to do is make a real trail down from the gondy to the various trailheads.

Sept. 15, 2013, 6:15 p.m.

This. Fuck meteorologists. Assholes.

Garbo is only running on the weekend. How much do you love your Una Moss? Of all the things I'd like them to do is make a real trail down from the gondy to the various trailheads.

Fuck I hate that Una Moss. Partly because I hate wasting vertical [HTML_REMOVED] burning up my brakes. I agree…make a proper trail down.

Thread killer

Sept. 15, 2013, 6:57 p.m.

How was the drive home today? Village was f'in packed on Saturday.

Easy peasy, we left around 3 and there wasn't much for traffic until we hit town