Whistler 2013 Bike Park Conditions

Aug. 29, 2013, 8:06 a.m.

a-line got patched too, but yesterdays rain kind of made it and parts of b-line patches pretty gooey….isn't raining here yet, but I'd imagine once it starts it'll get soupy quick….

Aug. 29, 2013, 10:45 a.m.

So maintaining a trail is dumbing it down eh? Maybe trails should be allowed to deteriorate to the point of being borderline unrideable?

You may have noticed I put inverted commas around the words "dumbing down". I didn't say it was a bad thing. Sustainability should be a top priority. I also said "natural" because nature doesn't design terrain for mountain biking. Its people who do that. Some trails in the bike park are considered unrideable to many (eg Goat's Gully) but for others its a big part part of the thrill.

Aug. 29, 2013, 5:02 p.m.

You may have noticed I put inverted commas around the words "dumbing down". I didn't say it was a bad thing. Sustainability should be a top priority. I also said "natural" because nature doesn't design terrain for mountain biking. Its people who do that. Some trails in the bike park are considered unrideable to many (eg Goat's Gully) but for others its a big part part of the thrill.

Originally Posted by nickel View Post

So maintaining a trail is dumbing it down eh? Maybe trails should be allowed to deteriorate to the point of being borderline unrideable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RwHaAtVeaA

Not as cool now :bandit:

Aug. 29, 2013, 6:05 p.m.

Not everyone loves "soft [HTML_REMOVED] loamy trails that are fast [HTML_REMOVED] fun". Some of us love the techy, tight trails. The trail crew should be applauded for all the work they have to do every season, especially after Crankworx.

Thread killer

Aug. 29, 2013, 8:29 p.m.

I'm guessing the Lower A-Line re-route got pushed back to next year?

Still plenty of build time left. It got put on the backburner a bit, but its still on the cards. As usual in BC its either too dry or too wet. I bet you can guess which problem today had in spades.

Aug. 31, 2013, 2:31 p.m.

FYI just saw on WBP Facebook page that Garbo chair is closed so only access via gondi.

They are giving out free top of the world passes as a comp though!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Aug. 31, 2013, 4:20 p.m.

Not free passes, just head on over to the peak chair and go. Lines were reminiscent of a powder day opening. Left Garbo area empty, so yay.

That said, they got Garbo open and carrying people today at 3ish.

Aug. 31, 2013, 5:29 p.m.

Nice.

I'm guessing the Lower A-Line re-route got pushed back to next year?

no its still being built, take easy does it after it crosses the road by Longhorn, the equipment is in the trees in the first corner….almost done I think…

mtbskierdad

Sept. 1, 2013, 4:55 p.m.

Trail conditions yesteday the best since before Crankworkx. Got 2 flats :(. Saw Semeniuk in the Village wearing Red Bull fullface getting yelled at by the old liftie in the orange jacket to get off his bike. He just rode on with big smile on his face.

Got my Top of the World freebie in yesterday. Light conditions were amazing and the air was as clear as can be. TOW photos look great. Hope the photo guys from Coast Mountain Photography had a good day of business. Thanks guys!

Here's my pseudo-selfie

Sept. 1, 2013, 7:27 p.m.

Semenuk; "Do you know who I am?"

Thread killer

Sept. 2, 2013, 5:36 p.m.

What a day.. no one was there, rained until lifts started spinning, then sun.

Brown pow!

Sept. 2, 2013, 6:05 p.m.

It looked amazing today. Wife was tired from xc riding, so I chilled out in the village with her.

Perfect weekend of riding in Whistler.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sept. 2, 2013, 6:10 p.m.

It looked amazing today. Wife was tired from xc riding, so I chilled out in the village with her.

I was watching for the Giro helmet but never saw it.. that would 'splain it. You had a full crew on Sunday!

Sept. 2, 2013, 7:24 p.m.

Yup, we had a good day of riding and I finished up with the Dwayne Johnson line. The step up is so much fun!

Since it was our anniversary this weekend I figured I should spend some time with the wife and not the guys! ;-)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sept. 2, 2013, 8:46 p.m.

One request for the WBP crew. Any chance you can get some signs for this area?