Whistler 2013 Bike Park Conditions

July 8, 2013, 12:29 p.m.

Does anyone else think it's weird that the official first day of Top of the World is a Monday?

Either I misread it or they've updated the site. Top of the World opens Saturday July 13.

http://bike.whistlerblackcomb.com/information/peak/index.aspx

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 8, 2013, 4:39 p.m.

I rode it on Saturday (unofficial opening) and it sucks. Don't ride it.

I assure you it's not because at the moment it's pristine with sculpted and perfectly manicured lips and landings that haven't yet been ruined with brake bumps and craters in the landing areas. It's not because you could ride a 20" BMX bike and still feel smooth. It's not even because it's filled with step-ups that when taken at the right speed make it feel like the hand of God is lifting you up and gently placing your dusty ass back on the trail.

Nope, don't ride it because it sucks and you're sure to have a bad time. I'll take one for the team and ride the shit out of it so the bike park crew doesn't feel bad that they spent so long working on something that rides like shit and just sits empty. I'll do it so you and the rest of the bike riding public doesn't have to.

You're welcome everyone.

Rode it a few times today. Like safety said. Don't bother.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 8, 2013, 6:51 p.m.

Either I misread it or they've updated the site. Top of the World opens Saturday July 13.

http://bike.whistlerblackcomb.com/information/peak/index.aspx

It did used to say July 15 … they must have read your post

Rode it a few times today. Like safety said. Don't bother.

Garbanzo is about one thing and one thing alone - white-knuckle-gnar!

July 8, 2013, 11:19 p.m.

Anyone who's ridden Top of the World care to comment on how difficult it is? Whistler has rated it an advanced level ride but the video I've seen of it looks more like intermediate ride.

July 9, 2013, 7:01 a.m.

Anyone who's ridden Top of the World care to comment on how difficult it is? Whistler has rated it an advanced level ride but the video I've seen of it looks more like intermediate ride.

I'd say if you took the hardest parts of Top Of the World and put it in the Fitz zone, it'd be rated blue.

July 9, 2013, 7:06 a.m.

Unless it's been buffed out, I'd give the very first section a bit of respect. It's pretty tight and you really wouldn't want to flip over and roll down the steep hill. I did TOTW last year as a first run of the day, and the exposure at the top woke me up pretty fast…

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 9, 2013, 11:31 a.m.

What trails do you consider at your level at Whistler? There are some steeper (but not steep!) rocky pitches at the top but most of it is flowy, bermed singletrack. It is an all-mountain ride, definitely not a DH run.

July 9, 2013, 1:07 p.m.

Unless it's been buffed out, I'd give the very first section a bit of respect. It's pretty tight and you really wouldn't want to flip over and roll down the steep hill. I did TOTW last year as a first run of the day, and the exposure at the top woke me up pretty fast…

Yeah the first part demands some attention = quit looking at the views!

Not as cool now :bandit:

July 9, 2013, 3:31 p.m.

rode the new blue velvet section, they are making a connector from the road to link it up some more, pretty fun, some sweet step ups and really nice berms, wish it actually linked to Crank It Up like they said when they began the whole thing but whatever new trails are new and its all good….

mtbskierdad

July 9, 2013, 8:45 p.m.

New Blue V is a freakin' blast to ride. Love the pyramids and couldn't believe the amount of step ups.

Watch out for the poles. Almost nailed one when I was too busy taking in the new surroundings.

July 9, 2013, 9:53 p.m.

It's a solid intermediate trail with a couple of easy black diamond features. It has it's fair share of double black consequences at the top though. It's not a hard ride, but you should be a black diamond rider to ride it safely.

iforonewelcome.com

July 9, 2013, 10:49 p.m.

rode the new blue velvet section, they are making a connector from the road to link it up some more, pretty fun, some sweet step ups and really nice berms, wish it actually linked to Crank It Up like they said when they began the whole thing but whatever new trails are new and its all good….

Give it time young jedi.

If you look uphill at the start of CIU you can see what looks like a machine has scrapped the soil down to the rock

Oh yeah, A-Line is only a family trail if your last name is Tomac.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 9, 2013, 11:09 p.m.

The hardest parts of top of the world are pretty similar to upper angry pirate, tight techy kinda steep turns (although angry pirates got some recent work done that I haven't ridden). The hard parts just the beginning tight techy bit with lot's of exposure at the top, 3/4 of the trail could be a blue run.

Also it links to no joke or freight train at the end which are also blacks, something to keep in mind lol, you could just do the little part of those(from the tunnel with the quarter pipes to creekside gondi) then on to express way but that's no fun

I'd say comfortable with the single black techs (o sin, no joke, angry pirate, duff man, afternoon delight/whistler dh) then TOW will be a piece of cake.

I like that it's got a double black rating though, the length of it does make it harder and I guess people riding up there should know what they are doing.

July 10, 2013, 1:26 p.m.

Oh yeah, A-Line is only a family trail if your last name is Tomac.

I agree. It's not black diamond rated because it's a hard trail. It's black diamond for 2 reasons:

1. The jumps are bigger (even though most are table-topped) and it takes more than "blue" skill to actually hit the trannies… anyone can roll A-line jumps; and

2. The speed and level of the riders. This is not CUI. If you're a ripper on CUI and you get pissed that some kid is in front of you working on his/her skills, you've got problems. But on A-Line, you should feel some degree of confidence that you can carry your flow all the way down.

My kid is getting to the point where he can clear some of the CUI jumps to the transitions and is rolling with good speed. He really wants to hit A-Line. Could he ride A-Line? YES. Should he ride A-Line? NO. I keep telling him that not only does it kill the line for the other riders, but it is dangerous for him and all those who might be hammering up his backside on a blind corner. He gets it. He doesn't like it. But he gets it.

The little gateway entry gap is better this year, as it sends a clear message and has a level of difficulty that seems a reasonable bar for the rest of A-Line. Regardless, the other day, some guy jumps off his bike, runs over it and jumps back on without looking back. We assumed he was running over it and then would pull off and make sure it was clear. So we hit the entry feature and promptly all rammed up his backside, causing great irritation.

July 11, 2013, 7:49 a.m.

My kid is getting to the point where he can clear some of the CUI jumps to the transitions and is rolling with good speed. He really wants to hit A-Line. Could he ride A-Line? YES. Should he ride A-Line? NO. I keep telling him that not only does it kill the line for the other riders, but it is dangerous for him and all those who might be hammering up his backside on a blind corner. He gets it. He doesn't like it. But he gets it.

I was in exactly the same boat with my grom at the beginning of this season. He is now overshooting CIU but still slow compared the A-line rippers. So what I've done is ease him into A-line and DM on weekdays or other slow times. I typically follow him (giving him a 2 min head start) and at the top of run we wait for till the pack clears, then warn anyone sitting around that we'll be slow. That said, Sat/Sun is not the day for the groms on real fast lines.