Whistler 2013 Bike Park Conditions

June 28, 2013, 6:43 p.m.

How were the lines today?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 28, 2013, 9:04 p.m.

average, not weaving through the corrals just straight out not bad at all, long weekend with nice weather forecasted should change that haha

July 1, 2013, 4:58 p.m.

Damn, that heat was something else this weekend.

Freight Train is running near dry save for a few remaining bits. Step up is still closed.

Can't believe how dead it was today.

July 1, 2013, 5:36 p.m.

was going to go up this weekend, but the heat quickly changed my mind

July 1, 2013, 5:58 p.m.

Fortunately, it was only felt after 11:30ish in the Fitz lineup, and that was never long the whole weekend. Unbelievable.

July 1, 2013, 7:54 p.m.

Fortunately, it was only felt after 11:30ish in the Fitz lineup, and that was never long the whole weekend. Unbelievable.

So glad I went up on Saturday.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 1, 2013, 8:45 p.m.

Went up Saturday and Monday (today Canada Day). Saturday was a little damp, but today was great. Perfect conditions up at Garbo. Did Original Sin and Freight Train. Dorp In Clinic is open and In Deep was awesome. No lineups for the Gondola.

It was hot, but heat was quite manageable - did away with the body armour, just elbows and knees. Drank water every lap. Lost it on a wet slab of rock on Renegade off of Duffman. Went drown hard and hit my helmet hard on a root which gave me a bruised shoulder through the Leatt brace and a Charley Horse thigh. Spent the rest of the afternoon in Lost Lake and GLC patio. Tylenols and ice so I can road ride tomorrow, and the its back to WBP on Wed!

July 2, 2013, 3:30 p.m.

only did four lower laps today, but summer is here, dry awesome hot goodness….I know if you don't ride in the wet around here you may never ride, but the trails take a shit kicking and bikes don't fair much better so I love the dry conditions….

mtbskierdad

July 2, 2013, 8:43 p.m.

conditions don't get much better then today…

Lower part of Blue Velvet will be opening before the weekend. Talk about a great cruise through a beautiful forest!

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

July 3, 2013, 2:43 p.m.

Lower part of Blue Velvet the part that connects right down to Crank It Up?

July 3, 2013, 3:46 p.m.

Great conditions, now actually getting dusty in places! Upper A-Line is best it's been in years. Mackenzie River best of the upper singletrack (maybe tied with Renegade). Sunshine Rollidrops making blue runs legit.

Garby singletrack seems to get more and more beat on over the years with little salvation in site. Burly fun, but burly.

After 5 years of good luck hitting the Freight Train/Expressway container drop (how long has it been there now??), things finally came to an end yesterday. Went too big on the step-up and landed mid-container, tried to reel her in before the drop, but slid out on the plywood. Bike stopped, I kept sliding…. and sliding…. right off the container. Fell about 10' to dirt.

Apparently I bounced a little. Some Euro-dudes watching were freaking out. Mrs. WH had this concerned look on her face. I'm old school and still wear a low profile chest and back plate and a hydration pack. I landed on my back/left side. Minor scratch below my elbow pad. The fabric covering over my RF Dig knees shredded. Nothing to my core.

Got up, brushed off, climbed up to the top of the container to fetch my bike. Decided I didn't want to try to figure out how to lower my bike off, so rode the drop off and finished Freight Train before I gave it much thought.

In retrospect, I hate that stupid thing. What is it that keeps drawing you back everytime you pull out of Freight Train and see it looming in front of you???? I mean, I've never crashed on it before, but I've never said "hey, that was fun".

end blog.

July 3, 2013, 4:55 p.m.

Is the step-up at the start of freight train open now?

July 3, 2013, 5:04 p.m.

Is the step-up at the start of freight train open now?

Sadly, no. But there are now 2 entry lines in.

July 3, 2013, 5:11 p.m.

You mean a couple of jumps and turns from the top? You can do the drop now?

July 3, 2013, 5:27 p.m.

You mean a couple of jumps and turns from the top? You can do the drop now?

The top of Freight Train from Garby is same as usual with a tabletop, right hander, tabletop/stepup, left hander, big floater and then across a road to a few quick roller tabletops, then out to the big road (I think it's Bear Cub) where it meets O-Sin. It's at this road that the step up to step down to step up occurs (or the one I'm thinking of) and is the only part that was closed as of yesterday. Except now there will be two lines into it.