Whistler 2013 Bike Park Conditions

June 23, 2013, 5:25 a.m.

100% of garbo trails being open is not true. Bits and pieces are closed because the rain from a few days ago laid waste to a lot of hard work. Things that are still hard and packed in from last year are running pretty well. There are for sure a few problem features which seem to be made entirely of mud.

Hopefully if it's sunny and hot today a lot of these bits and bobs will dry out. More rain for tomorrow through Wednesday is not promising. Some stuff is pretty good up there, other bits less. Hope that helps a bit?

June 23, 2013, 12:06 p.m.

Just a heads up, the step up thing on freight train that's a bit before where the cow feature wall ride is is dangerous and should have been flagged off. We trained into it and halfway up it's a deep mud hole, my handlebar smashed into my chest so hard I almost popped my shoulder out. All of my friends behind me did the same.

June 23, 2013, 3:43 p.m.

Bloody hell people, what's the deal! Is Garbo a mess? Is it great all things considered?

We gotta know!

Was at the park Saturday … I talked to a few people who went and they basically said Garbo wasn't worth going up to ride yet.

June 23, 2013, 3:48 p.m.

My first garbo lap of the year was OSin. There were quite a few, "Holy shit I hope this turns out well" moments. Very wet and gnar until you get lower down.

Freight train is a mix of, "Holy shit where did my wheel go" all the way to hero-dirt. A lot of it is open, but not every bit.

No/New(?) Joke (get 'em mixed up all the time) was less sketch than OSIN, but there were some bigger snow sections through it.

Welcome back Garbo, I missed ya :woot::woot:

PS: Stu, not yet :)

June 23, 2013, 7:46 p.m.

Just a heads up, the step up thing on freight train that's a bit before where the cow feature wall ride is is dangerous and should have been flagged off. We trained into it and halfway up it's a deep mud hole, my handlebar smashed into my chest so hard I almost popped my shoulder out. All of my friends behind me did the same.

This section was closed off today.

Freight train had a couple of muddy spots but overall it was definitely rideable. Good tacky dirt in most places.

June 23, 2013, 9:49 p.m.

Aline and DM were in prime condition!

June 24, 2013, 5:10 a.m.

Hi, does anyone have any news on the larger A-Line rebuild mentioned in this blog post:

http://update.whistlerbike.com/2013/05/23/a-line-update-more-is-always-better/

I'm not talking about the rebuild that's already been done but about:

"We also have a plan to reroute the section through the shale straight away through a new zone that would add 4 to 6 new features and a few hundred meters of length to the trail! That project will begin shortly and come on line mid June if all of the approvals come through."

Have those approvals come through?

June 24, 2013, 6:21 p.m.

Hi, does anyone have any news on the larger A-Line rebuild mentioned in this blog post:

http://update.whistlerbike.com/2013/06/07/looking-up/

I'm not talking about the rebuild that's already been done but about:

"We also have a plan to reroute the section through the shale straight away through a new zone that would add 4 to 6 new features and a few hundred meters of length to the trail! That project will begin shortly and come on line mid June if all of the approvals come through."

Have those approvals come through?

Still being built as far as I heard, supposed to be awesome. Lots of rain this month may have extended the build time….

mtbskierdad

June 25, 2013, 1:58 a.m.

Awesome, thanks. That "shale straight" is one of my least favourite bits of trail ever.

June 25, 2013, 8:43 a.m.

Awesome, thanks. That "shale straight" is one of my least favourite bits of trail ever.

I really liked that section, to add balance….open it up and jump and pump to make it smooth

June 27, 2013, 10:35 a.m.

I really liked that section, to add balance….open it up and jump and pump to make it smooth

I've started not using my brakes for that section :dizzy: you are just flying when you hit that berm at the bottom!!! way more comfortable though.

June 27, 2013, 4:26 p.m.

I like it too. Hope that it is still an option when the new line comes in.

June 27, 2013, 10:42 p.m.

I hate that section, will be glad to see it go, alines all about berms and jumps gimme more of that haha

June 28, 2013, 2:42 p.m.

Have they started to open up anything else in Garbo from last weekend? Particularly, the lower half of Blue Velvet (formerly known as "Black Velvet")?

June 28, 2013, 3:09 p.m.

Banged out a few laps this morning in the Fitz zone and all the tech trails were very greasy. Excitingly so.

Also, I'm disappointed that the the Phat Wed race was held on Funshine-Smoke'n'Mirrors-Blueseum in the wet. I guess those trails weren't wide enough so it needed to be done. As well, few new braids have been added.