Whistler 2013 Bike Park Conditions

Sept. 17, 2013, 2:27 p.m.

Run CiU a bunch. Once you're easily landing of the backside of all the jumps, start looking for the 'extra' senders on the sides of the jumps preceding many of the jumps turning them into doubles.

Once you get clean runs on Crank it Up consistently then head for Blue Velvet. But for the love of gawd, stay off the brakes on upper BV…..the braking bumps are killer!

Moving on to Dirt Merchant after that….:agree: me favorite!

Reading this makes me think I've missed out on CIU. I usually avoid that run due to the high traffic and since I'm usually riding solo I don't catch all the fun "extra" lines. I'll have to keep an eye out for the jumps to double.

Sept. 17, 2013, 4:16 p.m.

I find for noobs getting into jumping its not really about the jump but the speed needed, if you can pop little jumps (2-4 feet long) then all you need to do is increase the speed a bit and lay off the brakes more in order to clear the bigger tables, the faster you can go the easier it will be to clear the booters….

mtbskierdad

Sept. 17, 2013, 7:40 p.m.

If it was myself, I'd run CIU then move on to BV. The reasoning behind this is at this time of the year Garbo chair isn't running on weekdays, so you upload on the gondola and ride down Una Moss. Probably get 2 CIU runs in per 1 BV. Plus the ground was a little greasy and soft up there today (didn't do CUI) and they are doing a rebuild from the tree fort section of BV so your choices after the new top section are Bear Cub connector or O-Sin, or off to Freight Train. Oh yeah and they are cleaning gondola cabins for winter so bikes aren't allowed in the yellow ribbon cabins

Oly Chit that hit on lower A-Line is a massive beast. I like the new FT step up

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 17, 2013, 8:19 p.m.

^^^Big Un on new lower A-Line,hit it blind,and first time I've ever felt my V-10 bottom out in the rear,just slightly cased it by about 8 feet:agree:.Surprised by the size of the thing.

Sept. 17, 2013, 8:30 p.m.

^^^Big Un on new lower A-Line,hit it blind,and first time I've ever felt my V-10 bottom out in the rear,just slightly cased it by about 8 feet:agree:.Surprised by the size of the thing.

haha, me too, about a bike length short but it still felt smooth! Such a nice sender jump though, I'm pretty sure if I could have kept my fingers off my skirt I would have made it clean.

Sept. 17, 2013, 9:14 p.m.

I think that the second berm needs some tweeking for the speed needed, needs to "catch" people better at the end so you can rail it a bit faster to carry more momentum into the big booter. Needs to be extended a bit. My first time through there Sunday and I overcooked it and ended up in the trees on the left….otherwise that booter is sooo good….just a bit wondering were else this rebuild may go as it does still send us down the second part of the shale section….

mtbskierdad

Sept. 18, 2013, 5:14 a.m.

I think that the second berm needs some tweeking for the speed needed, needs to "catch" people better at the end so you can rail it a bit faster to carry more momentum into the big booter. Needs to be extended a bit. My first time through there Sunday and I overcooked it and ended up in the trees on the left….otherwise that booter is sooo good….just a bit wondering were else this rebuild may go as it does still send us down the second part of the shale section….

Consensus is that it just needs more shape. It's a bit of a flat corner tilted on it's side… It's probably going to stay as is given that the skywater has returned and any changes now might never get a chance to dry enough to be rideable. Also, after walking around a bunch, there isn't really anywhere else to go, so the second half of dogsh…err shale slope is probably there for good. We've talked about possibly adding another hit of some kind where the second part breaks over given enough dirt but that will be for another day/season.

Sept. 18, 2013, 2:03 p.m.

I find for noobs getting into jumping its not really about the jump but the speed needed, if you can pop little jumps (2-4 feet long) then all you need to do is increase the speed a bit and lay off the brakes more in order to clear the bigger tables, the faster you can go the easier it will be to clear the booters….

Not so simple in my opinion … depends on the angle/slope of the run up to the jump too. Bigger jumps often (but not always) have steeper run-ups, so what constitutes the right speed requires some judgement and experience.

Sept. 18, 2013, 3:52 p.m.

Sweet baby jesus. Dogshit slope is a full on hazard. Almost killed myself on it today. The mud that was put on it is very thick and wet.

Good luck to all those who go down it today.

Sept. 18, 2013, 3:55 p.m.

Sweet baby jesus. Dogshit slope is a full on hazard. Almost killed myself on it today. The mud that was put on it is very thick and wet.

Good luck to all those who go down it today.

What is this trail? I have not ridden dogshit slope, but I am putting it on the list.

Sept. 18, 2013, 4:07 p.m.

What is this trail? I have not ridden dogshit slope, but I am putting it on the list.

:) D [HTML_REMOVED] I call it Athritis Alley. I'm just guessing as to the full name Nickel uses.

You know the long straightaway down lower A-line? They put a metric shit-tonne of mud on it. It's wet. And fucking sketchy.

Sept. 18, 2013, 4:55 p.m.

Not so simple in my opinion … depends on the angle/slope of the run up to the jump too. Bigger jumps often (but not always) have steeper run-ups, so what constitutes the right speed requires some judgement and experience.

I beleive a gradual increase in speed on a trail like CIU can get people up to speed for trails like aline. You learn the proper speed for corners in order to make the next jump, then learn the braking sections for those corners too. So if you can travel at a good clip you eventually learn when to pop certain jumps and when to push/scrub certain jumps in order to either make the trannie or not overshoot them either….practice practice practice…for me I was jumping my mountain bike in and urban environment before I hit real trails (ontario vs BC trails) so this has come more naturally to me, not so much dirt jumps (but a few) but natural urban terrain features in my home town….the transition to speed and flow was easier (not to mention riding bike park since it opened, got to progress as all the trails did)…

mtbskierdad

Sept. 19, 2013, 11:30 a.m.

:) D [HTML_REMOVED] I call it Athritis Alley. I'm just guessing as to the full name Nickel uses.

You know the long straightaway down lower A-line? They put a metric shit-tonne of mud on it. It's wet. And fucking sketchy.

OK. I actually didn't mind the shale section except the brutal loss of elevation.

A couple more jumps on that section would be nice.

Sept. 20, 2013, 5:37 p.m.

not sure if putting dirt down the last part of dogshit alley was the best idea, at first it was good and solid when it was dry, now after the rain this week, it's nasty, rutted out and super soft, should have left it the way it was me thinks….berm before big booter still needs tweeking….otherwise hero dirt all around….hope the sun comes out a few more times before closing day and the rain only stays a few days…..

mtbskierdad

Sept. 24, 2013, 3:02 p.m.

Heading up tomorrow. Supposed to be sunny. How's it been the last few days?