WBP rates for 2013?

April 10, 2013, 11:01 p.m.

I don't think you're picking up what I'm putting down.

"Greed. Pure and simple" would be charging local families $149/day. Which the tourist crowd is charged.
Maybe have look on the website for the pricing before you start arguing how WB is gouging local families.

It is a business afterall.

We could talk about how families in other locations can't afford regular meals for their children instead of arguing how some families are "struggling" to send their children to ski school.

Fuck you buddy. Maybe educate yourself about the costs families put up with around here, not just ski school. Yeah it's always gonna be worse for someone else somewhere else but that doesn't mean that an increase of ~30% in one year for any service is justified.

They built new lifts that do nothing for the total terrain area and they are passing those costs on to the people they don't really give a fuck about.

April 10, 2013, 11:18 p.m.

Fuck you buddy.

Mountain biking is serious buisness!:dizzy:

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

April 10, 2013, 11:24 p.m.

Sorry, a little stressed out this evening, and pissed off at getting taken for a ride by the big corporations.

April 11, 2013, 4:36 a.m.

cost per ridable trail is still way more cheaper than any resort in europe. if only the flights to canada were also cheap too :(

if i could choose i would rather pay 400eur+ for a seasons pass in whistler than 375eur for just 2 dh trails in bad wildbad, the next "park" in my area (stuttgart). u guys all just discuss a luxury problem…

April 11, 2013, 6:43 a.m.

I never get flats, I always run tubeless.

April 11, 2013, 12:16 p.m.

I think they want to sell as many season passes as possible. If you are a DH junkie, a seasons pass still a great deal. A full day of riding in the park cost me about $17 a day last year if I rode 30 days (in 5 months). Throw in gas the total is about $50 a day. You can save $$$ by carpooling and showing some luv for the environment. When you consider people routinely spend $2000-$5000 for a DH bike, it still seems like a good deal.

As to maintenance, I am no trailbuilder, so I can't say how much/little effort is put in. I'm sure the builders at Whistler try their utmost to strike a balance between sustainability, shred-ability and safety. I don't think that is an easy job and I think they have a pretty good balance. Maybe response times can be improved, but I know that some people will never be satisfied and an extensive network of lift-access trails that

- get a over one foot of rainfall in an average summer
- are ridden 7-10 hours a day
- every day for 5 months

can probably NEVER get enough trail maintenance.

April 11, 2013, 1:03 p.m.

First world problems. We are looking to buy a service from a service provider that has a business model. That business model is predicated on making money so they can continue to offer this service. Nowhere has W/B ever said that they were a not-for-profit. They do offer local discounts and early season opportunities that are less expensive (but certainly not cheap) for locals and families. They also further that with a 10% discount on family purchases on pass products (at least one parent and two kids) But it still costs money (lots) of money for families to commit to the bike park. But it's a matter of choice that you and your wallet can make. I find it ok value for what the kids get on a $100(ish) day in terms of care, teaching, and food. You're also buying insurance and risk mitigation and on-hand first aid care and attendees.

The beauty of mountain biking (or any kind of riding) is that once equipment is at hand, it's a free sport (with the exception of trail maintenance group memberships, of course) that doesn't keep sticking a hand in your pocket like hockey or others where you MUST have the facility access and coordinating organisation to play.

You may LIKE to ride W/B, but you don't NEED to ride W/B. If you like DH riding and don't like to climb (or want to make it easier for your kids to start), there's tons of freely accessible shuttleable trails between Squamish and Pemberton that will fit the bill. Several shuttle laps with the groms or friends will be much less $$$ than 3 or 4 day-passes at W/B. If you don't mind pedaling, I don't need to remind anyone here of the number of trails available in the same corridor of a variety of skill levels built, funded, and maintaiined by the local societies and muni's that are supported through donations and municipal taxes. All available for Free and mostly 24/7. As a bonus, these trails have less users, less aggro, a better feeling of wilderness, and are often significantly less beat on than bike park trails (at least per maintenance hour). The down side, is you have to cover your own risk management.

I agree it's expensive, but I think we need to remember it's a market-based luxury service with a free alternative.

Have at me.

April 11, 2013, 3:12 p.m.

That sucks - last year you could get 7 days for like $239 when you include the early season day and the 3 day add-on. Now, the 7 days will cost you $341 ($153 + $44 + [48x3])… thats garbage! Might have to buy a seasons pass this year…. probably what they are trying to force us into.

Last year I paid $139 (+ 12% HST) = $155.68 on May 7 for a triple play including a bonus day. This year the price - if purchased before May 16 - has gone up to $143 (+5% GST) = $150.15. They're also offering the 3 day top up too at a total cost of $264.60 tax in or less than $38 a day. Maybe things aren't as bad as people are making them out to be?

Screenshot from the W/B website a few mins ago:

April 11, 2013, 3:27 p.m.

Last year I paid $139 (+ 12% HST) = $155.68 on May 7 for a triple play including a bonus day. This year the price - if purchased before May 16 - has gone up to $143 (+5% GST) = $150.15. They're also offering the 3 day top up too at a total cost of $264.60 tax in or less than $38 a day. Maybe things aren't as bad as people are making them out to be?

I think your forgetting the PST in there as well. last time I heard BC had PST as well as GST. no more HST :(

WhistlerActionCams.com

April 11, 2013, 3:28 p.m.

Well shitballs that wasn't there the other day!

Free top of the world and bring a friend with the seasons as well.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

April 11, 2013, 3:45 p.m.

First world problems. We are looking to buy a service from a service provider that has a business model. That business model is predicated on making money so they can continue to offer this service. Nowhere has W/B ever said that they were a not-for-profit. They do offer local discounts and early season opportunities that are less expensive (but certainly not cheap) for locals and families. They also further that with a 10% discount on family purchases on pass products (at least one parent and two kids) But it still costs money (lots) of money for families to commit to the bike park. But it's a matter of choice that you and your wallet can make. I find it ok value for what the kids get on a $100(ish) day in terms of care, teaching, and food. You're also buying insurance and risk mitigation and on-hand first aid care and attendees.

The beauty of mountain biking (or any kind of riding) is that once equipment is at hand, it's a free sport (with the exception of trail maintenance group memberships, of course) that doesn't keep sticking a hand in your pocket like hockey or others where you MUST have the facility access and coordinating organisation to play.

You may LIKE to ride W/B, but you don't NEED to ride W/B. If you like DH riding and don't like to climb (or want to make it easier for your kids to start), there's tons of freely accessible shuttleable trails between Squamish and Pemberton that will fit the bill. Several shuttle laps with the groms or friends will be much less $$$ than 3 or 4 day-passes at W/B. If you don't mind pedaling, I don't need to remind anyone here of the number of trails available in the same corridor of a variety of skill levels built, funded, and maintaiined by the local societies and muni's that are supported through donations and municipal taxes. All available for Free and mostly 24/7. As a bonus, these trails have less users, less aggro, a better feeling of wilderness, and are often significantly less beat on than bike park trails (at least per maintenance hour). The down side, is you have to cover your own risk management.

I agree it's expensive, but I think we need to remember it's a market-based luxury service with a free alternative.

Have at me.

My problem isnt specific to the bike park. It is with WB in general. the fact they are pricing local people out of living here, and catering to a bunch of rich elitist douchebags from all over the world. You walk around this town during spring break, any given weekend morning and see all the trash, broken glass and bottles etc around. Then compare that with a Wednesday morning. WB are catering to a bunch of people who dont give a fuck about the town, at the expense of the people who do.

How big do they need to get? Big enough for $150 lift tickets per person? Constant growth is not always the right thing. All of it is basically to line the pockets of shareholders and stroke the ego's of (ex-ski bum) executives.

April 11, 2013, 4:05 p.m.

I think your forgetting the PST in there as well. last time I heard BC had PST as well as GST. no more HST :(

No PST on lift tickets - just HST. So consider that your 7% discount over the last year.

WB are catering to a bunch of people who dont give a fuck about the town, at the expense of the people who do.

Whistler would be an awesome place to live, work, buy a condo, run a business and raise a family if only tourism, the ski resorts and all the out-of-towners would all just go away.

April 11, 2013, 4:25 p.m.

Whistler would be an awesome place to live, work, buy a condo, run a business and raise a family if only tourism, the ski resorts and all the out-of-towners would all just go away.

that is absolutely not what i am saying. I work in the tourism sector. I know why i get paid and who pays me.

When i go to Baker, i dont smash my bottles in the streets of Glacier, i dont get aggressive drunk and stab someone in a nightclub in bellingham. i dont throw my trash from the chair. Why should people come and cunt up the place where i live.

April 11, 2013, 4:34 p.m.

Correct, we will now have two taxes instead of one - but only the GST applies to lift tickets as Duncan pointed out.

April 11, 2013, 6:35 p.m.

Wait are monster T's still cool in the park? I have tubeless Session that I want to put it on but I have to look pro.

I feel like the right to cheap bike park laps isn't something we are entitled to.

:bandit:
10 ?